Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2015, 09:47
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ps- number of integers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

ps- number of integers [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 15:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

what is the total number of integers between 100 and 200 that are divisible by 3?

ans:33
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1570
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

Re: ps- number of integers [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 23:00
My approach:

3 * 33 = 99
3 * 66 = 198

Hence, number of integers between 100 and 200 and divisible by 3 will be 66-33 = 33.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ps- number of integers [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 04:59
Thank you both. I don't really understand neither of these two answers.

Why you multiply 3 x 33 and then 3 x 66?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ps- number of integers [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 05:02
can you please explain your reasoning behind this? Why 198-102/3 and not 200-100/3?

ritula wrote:
(198-102)/3 +1=33

andreasonlinegr wrote:
what is the total number of integers between 100 and 200 that are divisible by 3?

ans:33
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 1516
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ps- number of integers [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 09:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="andreasonlinegr"]can you please explain your reasoning behind this? Why 198-102/3 and not 200-100/3?

the first and the last multiples of 3 in the given range

however you can still use 200-100/3 = 33.3333 ( the number of multiples cant be a fraction thus still answer is 33.

if the result is 33.9 still only 33 multiples of 3 are there
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1570
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 0

Re: ps- number of integers [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 00:45
andreasonlinegr wrote:
Thank you both. I don't really understand neither of these two answers.

Why you multiply 3 x 33 and then 3 x 66?


The first number that will be in the range of 100-200 and divisible by 3 will be 3*34. Similarly, the last such number will be 3*66.

In orde to take into account the first number, I should consider the number before 100 that is divisible by 3 and that is why 3*33.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: ps- number of integers [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 12:47
yezz wrote:
andreasonlinegr wrote:
can you please explain your reasoning behind this? Why 198-102/3 and not 200-100/3?

the first and the last multiples of 3 in the given range

however you can still use 200-100/3 = 33.3333 ( the number of multiples cant be a fraction thus still answer is 33.

if the result is 33.9 still only 33 multiples of 3 are there


Dumb question: Why take multiples, subtract them and then divide by 3? Is there a formula for that?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 1516
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ps- number of integers [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 13:08
piper wrote:
yezz wrote:
andreasonlinegr wrote:
can you please explain your reasoning behind this? Why 198-102/3 and not 200-100/3?

the first and the last multiples of 3 in the given range

however you can still use 200-100/3 = 33.3333 ( the number of multiples cant be a fraction thus still answer is 33.

if the result is 33.9 still only 33 multiples of 3 are there


Dumb question: Why take multiples, subtract them and then divide by 3? Is there a formula for that?


every 3 consecutive intigers has a multiple of 3 ..... right??

when you subtract the higher and lower values in the given range you get the total no on intigers in that range......right

then when u devide that number by 3 ( from every 3 consecutive initgers there is a multiple of 3 above ) you will know how many ( groups of 3 consecutives are there and hence you will no the number of multiples of 3)

hope i am clear
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: ps- number of integers [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 13:34
yezz wrote:
every 3 consecutive intigers has a multiple of 3 ..... right??

when you subtract the higher and lower values in the given range you get the total no on intigers in that range......right

then when u devide that number by 3 ( from every 3 consecutive initgers there is a multiple of 3 above ) you will know how many ( groups of 3 consecutives are there and hence you will no the number of multiples of 3)

hope i am clear


Wow, beautifully explained! Thank you.
Re: ps- number of integers   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2008, 13:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ps- number of integers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.