Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PS questions about standard deviation.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28865 [0], given: 2854

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 13:11
Expert's post
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Questions #1 and #9 are solved incorrectly. One of two answers for #6 is incorrect.

:shock: Are you talking :shock: seriously??? :shock:

Yes. Your second solution for question #9 is correct. Indeed there are 6 possibilities and 2 pairs have the same SD, so there would be 4 different SD.

As for #1: if it would be E {0,8}, wouldn't these two numbers stretch the set making SD bigger? As {0,8} are too far from the the mean.

And for #6: 2 answers were given (by others) to this question and one of them is incorrect.

So yes, I'm serious. But maybe I didn't get your question right...

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 16:23
Bunuel wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Questions #1 and #9 are solved incorrectly. One of two answers for #6 is incorrect.

:shock: Are you talking :shock: seriously??? :shock:

Yes. Your second solution for question #9 is correct. Indeed there are 6 possibilities and 2 pairs have the same SD, so there would be 4 different SD.

As for #1: if it would be E {0,8}, wouldn't these two numbers stretch the set making SD bigger? As {0,8} are too far from the the mean.

Agree with your logic but did you check whether other choices could deviate more further than E?
So what is your OA and workout for #1.
Did you solve it or just guessing? If you solve it, you will find E as the closest.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 16:44
Expert's post
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Agree with your logic but did you check whether other choices could deviate more further than E?
Did you solve it or just guessing? If you solve it, you will find E as the closest.

Frankly speaking when I solved this for the first time I didn't calculated SD-s. Just trusted my logic, then compared my answer to the OA and as they matched I didn't double checked my own solution and OA.

But know I did it. And I can say it again E {0,8} is not correct.

Maybe there is some misunderstanding in stem?

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 9

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 18:05
GMAT TIGER wrote:
gmattokyo wrote:
9. E is a collection of four odd integers and the greatest difference between any two integers in E is 4. The standard deviation of E must be one of how many numbers?
(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 7
-----------------------------------

(C) 5
Not very sure of this one... would wait for an expert solution.
Given that the range is 4. So pick up any set of odd numbers (SD will be same for the scenarios, all the set of 4 odd integers with range of 4 will have 3 unique members).
Possible sets (each with a different SD):
1. [1,5,1,1]
2. [1,5,5,5]
3. [1,5,3,3]
4. [1,5,1,3]
5. [1,5,1,5]
6. [1,5,3,5]

total of 6. 1st and 2nd have the same SD. Left with 5 other cases.

1. [1,5,1,1] and 2. [1,5,5,5] have SD of 2.
3. [1,5,3,3] has a SD of 1.63.
4. [1,5,1,3] and 6. [1,5,3,5] have 1.91.
5. [1,5,1,5] has a SD of 2.31.

So there are altogather 4 different SDs.

Thanks to GMAT TIGER for the correction and to Bunuel for giving us kool practice.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 19:10
Bunuel wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:

Frankly speaking when I solved this for the first time I didn't calculated SD-s. Just trusted my logic, then compared my answer to the OA and as they matched I didn't double checked my own solution and OA.

lol.

Probably the difference is from how the SDs are calculated. I used (n-1) instead of n while dividing the sum of the sqare dev. If n is used, then it is (2, 6).

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28865 [4] , given: 2854

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 16:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ANSWERS (OA):

1. A set of data consists of the following 5 numbers: 0,2,4,6, and 8. Which two numbers, if added to create a set of 7 numbers, will result in a new standard deviation that is close to the standard deviation for the original 5 numbers?
(A) -1 and 9
(B) 4 and 4
(C) 3 and 5
(D) 2 and 6
(E) 0 and 8
Answer: D.

2. A certain list of 100 data has an average of 6 and standard deviation of d where d is positive. Which of the following pairs of data, when added to the list must result in a list of 102 data with the standard deviation less than d?
(A) 0 and 6
(B) 0 and 12
(C) 0 and 0
(D) -6 and 0
(E) 6 and 6
Answer: E.

3. For a certain examination, a score of 58 was 2 standard deviations below the mean, and a score of 98 was 3 standard deviations above the mean. What was the mean score for the examination?
(A) 74
(B) 76
(C) 78
(D) 80
(E) 82
Answer: A.

4. Which of the following distribution of numbers has the greatest standard deviation?
(A) {-3, 1, 2}
(B) {-2, -1, 1, 2}
(C) {3, 5, 7}
(D) {-1, 2, 3, 4}
(E) {0, 2, 4}

5. Which of the following has the same standard deviation as {s,r,t}?
I. {r-2, s-2, t-2}
II. {0, s-t, s-r}
III. {|r|, |s|, |t|}
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

6. A certain characteristic in a large population has a distribution that is symmetric about the mean m. If 68% of the distribution lies one standard deviation d of the mean, what percent of the distribution is less than m+d?
(A) 16%
(B) 32%
(C) 48%
(D) 84%
(E) 92%

7. Which of the following data sets has the third largest standard deviation?
(A) {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}
(B) {2, 3, 3, 3, 4}
(C) {2, 2, 2, 4, 5}
(D) {0, 2, 3, 4, 6}
(E) {-1, 1, 3, 5, 7}

8. The table below represents three sets of numbers with their respective medians, means and standard deviations. The third set, Set [A+B], denotes the set that is formed by combining Set A and Set B.

Median Mean StandardDeviation
Set A: X, Y, Z.
Set B: L, M, N.
Set [A + B]: Q, R, S.
If X – Y > 0 and L – M = 0, then which of the following must be true?
I. Z > N
II. R > M
III. Q > R
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) None
Answer: E

9. E is a collection of four odd integers and the greatest difference between any two integers in E is 4. The standard deviation of E must be one of how many numbers?
(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 7
Answer: B

10. If a certain sample of data has a mean of 20.0 and a standard deviation of 3.0, which of the following values is more than 2.5 standard deviations from the mean?
(A) 12.0
(B) 13.5
(C) 17.0
(D) 23.5
(E) 26.5

11. Arithmetic mean and standard deviation of a certain normal distribution are 13.5 and 1.5. What value is exactly 2 standard deviations less than the mean?
(A) 10.5
(B) 11
(C) 11.5
(D) 12
(E) 12.5

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Toronto, Mcgill, Queens
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 9

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 04:05
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
1. A set of data consists of the following 5 numbers: 0,2,4,6, and 8. Which two numbers, if added to create a set of 7 numbers, will result in a new standard deviation that is close to the standard deviation for the original 5 numbers?
(A) -1 and 9
(B) 4 and 4
(C) 3 and 5
(D) 2 and 6
(E) 0 and 8

E. I got 0 and 8.

I don't think Answer will be E, here i'll prove it and you can also check with the calculations that E cannot be true.

With the given set the mean = 4 (as it is set of consecutive even integers therefore, 8+0/2 = 4 )

For all the options the mean remains 4 (as they add 8 to the total it will be divided by 7)

As the values are close to the mean then SD will be lower than the original SD and if the values are far from the mean than SD will be higher.

so D is the option which is not closer and not far from the mean.

--Action is the foundational key to all success.

3 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 710 [3] , given: 3

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

8. The table below represents three sets of numbers with their respective medians, means and standard deviations. The third set, Set [A+B], denotes the set that is formed by combining Set A and Set B.

I. Z > N
II. R > M
III. Q > R
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) None

We have no information that might allow us to compare Z and N, so I need not be true. For II, without knowing the relationship between Y and M, we cannot decide whether R is larger than M. For III, if set A is {0, 3, 4}, then the median of A is larger than the mean. If set B is {13}, then the median of B is equal to the mean. So these sets agree with the conditions given. Combining the sets, we have {0, 3, 4, 13}, which has a median of 3.5 and a mean of 5; the median is not greater than the mean. So III need not be true and the answer is E.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Intern
Intern
Schools: going to Melbourne Business School
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 10:57
Bunuel wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:

BUNUEL: Please share your logic for Q#1.

Last edited by hamza on 02 Jan 2010, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 11:02
Expert's post
hamza wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:

GMAT TIGER: Please share your logic for Q#1.

Answer E for Q1 is not correct, OA is D. Pleas refer to my post with OA-s.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28865 [4] , given: 2854

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hamza wrote:

BUNUEL: Please share your logic for Q#1.

(A) -1 and 9
(B) 4 and 4
(C) 3 and 5
(D) 2 and 6
(E) 0 and 8

I guess this is not real GMAT question as to answer this question with 100% certainty you should calculate SD for two sets and GMAT usually do not require actual calculation of SD. Though it's possible to eliminate 3 wrong answers at the beginning.

Mean is 4 and so are the means of all 5 pairs from answers choices.

A. (-1, 9) These two numbers are farthest from the mean and they will stretch the set making SD bigger

B. (4, 4) These two numbers are closest to the mean and the will shrink the set making SD smaller

C. (3, 5) Suitable option so far

D. (2, 6) Suitable option so far

E. (0, 8) These two numbers are also far from mean and they will also stretch the set making SD bigger.

So, when I looked at the options C and D I assumed that C is also too close to the mean and it will affect it more than D. So I ended with D and was correct. But still my logic eliminating C was not sure thing, without the calculations.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Schools: going to Melbourne Business School

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 22:23
Thanks a lot Bunuel for all the SD questions, I think SD, by means is covered, :)

Thanks again... :)
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [4] , given: 30

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Convincing explanation for question 1.
Bunuel wrote:
(A) -1 and 9
(B) 4 and 4
(C) 3 and 5
(D) 2 and 6
(E) 0 and 8

Mean = 4
Var = (16+4+0+4+16)/5 = 40/5 = 8
After addition of 2 numbers, New Var = (40+x)/7
The question is What x will pitch New Var closest to 8 so that 56/7 = 8
OR Which of the options will give a value of x that is closest to 16
So from the 5 options find out which (deviation^2) from 4 is closest to 16
Naked eye will tell you that (A), (B) are a long shot.
(C) 1^2 + 1^2 = 2
(D) 2^2 + 2^2 = 8 ==> |16-8| = 8
(E) 4^2 + 4^2 = 32 ==> |16-32| = 16
So option (D) gives an SD that is closest to the original SD.

In a Normal Distribution, only the Average 'Stand Out'

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 6

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
Really good collection of questions....I think SD is more or less covered now :-D
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 06:17
Bunuel,

I think the statement in the Q10 is incorrect. Some typo error, IMO:

10. If a certain sample of data has a mean of 20.0 and a standard deviation of 3.0, which of the following values is more than 2.5 standard deviations AWAY from the mean?
(A) 12.0
(B) 13.5
(C) 17.0
(D) 23.5
(E) 26.5

Please confirm.

Bunuel wrote:
10. If a certain sample of data has a mean of 20.0 and a standard deviation of 3.0, which of the following values is more than 2.5 standard deviations from the mean?

(A) 12.0
(B) 13.5
(C) 17.0
(D) 23.5
(E) 26.5

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 07:13
Expert's post
ykaiim wrote:
Bunuel,

I think the statement in the Q10 is incorrect. Some typo error, IMO:

10. If a certain sample of data has a mean of 20.0 and a standard deviation of 3.0, which of the following values is more than 2.5 standard deviations AWAY from the mean?
(A) 12.0
(B) 13.5
(C) 17.0
(D) 23.5
(E) 26.5

Please confirm.

Bunuel wrote:

(A) 12.0
(B) 13.5
(C) 17.0
(D) 23.5
(E) 26.5

No typo there: the question is from GmatPrep but basically it's the same as you wrote.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 07:22
I found the Q11 in GMATPrep and based on the explaination for it, I asked you.

As per the question:
(A) 12.0
(B) 13.5
(C) 17.0
(D) 23.5
(E) 26.5

So, the answer would be > 20+2.5x3 or >27.5, while none of the options say this.
But, if we are given that the required value is 2.5 SD more away then we can find the new value = 12.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28865 [2] , given: 2854

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ykaiim wrote:
I found the Q11 in GMATPrep and based on the explaination for it, I asked you.

As per the question:
(A) 12.0
(B) 13.5
(C) 17.0
(D) 23.5
(E) 26.5

So, the answer would be > 20+2.5x3 or >27.5, while none of the options say this.
But, if we are given that the required value is 2.5 SD more away then we can find the new value = 12.

I don't quite understand your question... Again the question is from GmarPrep and there is no word "away" in it (at least in the version I have).

Value is more than 2.5SD from the mean means that the distance between the mean and the value must be more than 2.5SD=7.5. So the value either < 12.5 or > 27.5.

Answer: A

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 07:12
good practice material.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 63

Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 15:50
Bunuel,
First of all thanks for all the wonderful material that you compile and post here on this forum. I have been following lot of your math related posts for past few days. Your posts are great help in the gmat prep.

I was wondering if you have solutions for these PS SD questions? - specially to Q#8 & 9?

Bunuel wrote:
ANSWERS (OA):

(A) -1 and 9
(B) 4 and 4
(C) 3 and 5
(D) 2 and 6
(E) 0 and 8

2. A certain list of 100 data has an average of 6 and standard deviation of d where d is positive. Which of the following pairs of data, when added to the list must result in a list of 102 data with the standard deviation less than d?
(A) 0 and 6
(B) 0 and 12
(C) 0 and 0
(D) -6 and 0
(E) 6 and 6
Answer: E.

3. For a certain examination, a score of 58 was 2 standard deviations below the mean, and a score of 98 was 3 standard deviations above the mean. What was the mean score for the examination?
(A) 74
(B) 76
(C) 78
(D) 80
(E) 82

4. Which of the following distribution of numbers has the greatest standard deviation?
(A) {-3, 1, 2}
(B) {-2, -1, 1, 2}
(C) {3, 5, 7}
(D) {-1, 2, 3, 4}
(E) {0, 2, 4}

5. Which of the following has the same standard deviation as {s,r,t}?
I. {r-2, s-2, t-2}
II. {0, s-t, s-r}
III. {|r|, |s|, |t|}
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

6. A certain characteristic in a large population has a distribution that is symmetric about the mean m. If 68% of the distribution lies one standard deviation d of the mean, what percent of the distribution is less than m+d?
(A) 16%
(B) 32%
(C) 48%
(D) 84%
(E) 92%

7. Which of the following data sets has the third largest standard deviation?
(A) {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}
(B) {2, 3, 3, 3, 4}
(C) {2, 2, 2, 4, 5}
(D) {0, 2, 3, 4, 6}
(E) {-1, 1, 3, 5, 7}

I. Z > N
II. R > M
III. Q > R
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) None
Answer: E

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 7
Answer: B

(A) 12.0
(B) 13.5
(C) 17.0
(D) 23.5
(E) 26.5

11. Arithmetic mean and standard deviation of a certain normal distribution are 13.5 and 1.5. What value is exactly 2 standard deviations less than the mean?
(A) 10.5
(B) 11
(C) 11.5
(D) 12
(E) 12.5
Re: PS questions about standard deviation.   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2010, 15:50