Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PS questions and question about the gmat books !

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

PS questions and question about the gmat books ! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 10:04
Hi everyone!
First of all, I would like to say that it's my first post ont he website! However I am registered to the gmatclub for 3 or 4 months now. Oh and also, I am french (that might explain some english mistake I could do ....)

As I am very studuous, I am working with the three gmat books and the gmatclub tests.
For all the questions of the "gmat quantitative 2nd edition" I got 272/300, i.e. 90.6% (and I am working on a train) which does not seem that bad.
However for the gmatclub test, I am often less than 50% (percentile) and around 9/10 mistakes. My best score is 75%. So as soon as I start doing the gmatclub tests I am feeling really bad, like if I was hopeless....

Is this range normal? Am I hopeless? Could you give me some advice? I am trying to follow some guide posted on the gmat forum as hard as possible but even if I can see some improvements I just reduce my mistakes from 12 to 8 when.

Thank you in advance if you can answer my questions,

Alex

Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Sep 2010, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
The above post was split.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Followers: 105

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS questions and question about the gmat books ! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 19:48
Welcome to the gmatclub, alexn49!

90.6% on gmat quantitative 2nd edition is really impressive. Don't be upset after making mistakes on gmatclub tests. The gmatclub tests are really tricky and very tough.

On gmatclub tests if you are score above 50%tile, I think it's quite a good score. I have seen on this forum members scoring below 50%tile on gmatclub tests and later on scoring 700+ scores on GMAT. So, don't worry about your gmatclub tests. Take gmat prep test to get clear picture of your preparation.

One thing more, as might be knowing gmatclub tests can be taken more than one so gmatclub members definitely have taken these tests more than once so %tile score is definitely somewhat on the lower side.

Final note: DOn't worry about your gmatclub tests results but use these tests wisely to train your mind for the toughest questions that you can see on real GMAT.

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS questions and question about the gmat books ! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 20:07
Curious are you using MGMAT quant guides?

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: PS questions and question about the gmat books ! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 21:53
can you give numbers and q/v breakdowns?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: PS questions and question about the gmat books ! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 22:37
Hi everydoby!!
first of all, "kiss the gmat", thank you soooooo much! You cannot imagine how you make me feel better. I have to admit that the gmat preparation has been really stressful those days because I really want to do my best!! I think that thanks to you I will do just a few more gmatclub tests (in math) and start studying the verbal!
Dawgie, I am not using the MGMAT quant guides, I am only working with the gmatclub tests and the three official books! I also bought a french book at the very beginning just in order to know the gmat a bit better! In France, nobody knows the gmat....
Shaselai, I am not quite sure I understood your question, but if I did, here are the questions I failed at first :
PS: 18, 28, 29, 65, 69, 75, 86, 79, 103, 110 (english comprehension...), 118, 142, 145 (the toughest for me...), 148, 156, 157 (pretty tricky), 162 and 174.
DS:30, 32, 66, 70, 71, 91, 102, 123.

These are the questions in the gmat quantitative 2nd edition. If you have a look on those questions you might sometimes not understand how I could failed them. Usually, those mistakes are due to a bad english comprehension or even an absent-mindedness.

Thank you all again !!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: PS questions and question about the gmat books ! [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 08:00
alexn49
i was curious if you took any practice tests for the breakdowns. if you havent and all you did was do the ques and calculate the % correct then it is hard to gauge things. I would take a diagnostic and see where you stand.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: PS questions and question about the gmat books ! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 23:18
Hey Shaselai!!
I would like to tell you that I did what you asked me to do about to different tests! So I go 48, 49 and 50 in maths so I am really proud of it :)! My problem is now the verbal part! As I am not a native speaker, the tests I did worthed around 25 and 30.... So I from now on, I am studying as hard I can this part.
So thanks for telling me what to do... It made me feel much better! Now, I will try to feel as much confident as I can in verbal and crack the gmat at a 700! I checked : if I have 48 in quant, I'll need 35 in verbal... Have you ever seen such an improvement ? I am working with the three gmat books and the gmatclub tests. Is it sufficient ?
Hope you can help :)
Thx !
Re: PS questions and question about the gmat books !   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2010, 23:18