Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Psychiatrist

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Psychiatrist [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 21:03
I'm a Psychiatrist in training nearing the end of my residency and planning to apply to B schools after taking my GMAT next year.

I'll be 28 next year.
4 years of work ex including residency.
Have worked upto 16-18 hours/day upto 3 days at a stretch. Long hours are not an issue.
Was an average medical student in undergrad.
Participated in numerous charity camps throughout residency.
Have worked at all levels from being an intern to being the senior most resident.
Have taught undergrad students during my residency.
I am an outdoorsy kind of person, and have undertaken rather unusual trips in the past.
Was also the lead singer of my high school choir, having learnt indian classical vocals for 6 years.

I want to switch careers from Psychiatry to Finance, simply because I was never interested in becoming a doctor, I just became one because of parental pressure. The idea of working at a hedge fund/PE gets me really excited and that is what I would like to do post MBA. Getting the GMAT 700+ score isn't much of an issue, since I have taken many many exams with huge preparation requirements during med school and residency, and I am confident I can crack it with 3-4 months of prep.

I'd like to know how difficult it is for doctors with specialty training to make it to a top 10 b school in America. My #1 choice is Tuck School of Business. Also, I'd like to know what percentage of successful B school applicants are actually doctors who have completed their residency, or am I the oddball?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Psychiatrist [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 13:27
Expert's post
Hello,

Doctors certainly do get admitted to b-school. But I believe you face some high hurdles in getting admitted to top tier b-schools including Tuck.

Most doctors who attend b-school are seeking to leverage their career and experience to go into organizational leadership roles in some area of healthcare industry. (By the way, I don't know the percentage, but it is very small.)

AND many people successfully apply to b-school in order to change careers. But you need something more than the idea that you’d like a profession in order to be a credible applicant. The adcom will want to see deep knowledge of your target industry (even if not direct), will want to see affirmative reasons for your career change (they won’t care that you don’t like your current career and it might even be seen as a negative factor that you followed it for so long before taking initiative to change). Finally, they’ll want to see a plan for how you would get employed in your target industry, since most finance companies want to hire people with a related background.

If you want to pursue a career in finance, perhaps try to gain experience and exposure to the industry first, then apply to b-school.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog