Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [9]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Psycholinguistics uses "garden path sentences," which [#permalink]
animesh_an wrote:
Is it incorrect to use his or her with people?

I was having the same question. I blindly went with the option D because I felt people was plural and chose their.
If it was person, then his or her should be correct.

On second thoughts, Collective nouns generally take singular verbs. So I am confused a bit.

Anyways, it will be great if someone can explain if people is considered singular or plural in American English.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
people is always plural in GMAT landscape
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AVRonaldo wrote:
animesh_an wrote:
Is it incorrect to use his or her with people?

I was having the same question. I blindly went with the option D because I felt people was plural and chose their.
If it was person, then his or her should be correct.

On second thoughts, Collective nouns generally take singular verbs. So I am confused a bit.

Anyways, it will be great if someone can explain if people is considered singular or plural in American English.

hi animesh_an and AVRonaldo,

people is plural and cannot be substituted by his or her but by their..
person is used instead when we are talking in singular...
people is not collective noun but a plural noun...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
kinjiGC wrote:
Psycholinguistics uses "garden path sentences," which is grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, for example "The woman whistling tunes pianos," to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time.

A) Psycholinguistics uses "garden path sentences," which is grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, for example "The woman whistling tunes pianos," to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time
B) Psycholinguistics uses "garden path sentences," which are grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, for example "The woman whistling tunes pianos," to show that people build his or her understanding of a sentence one word at a time
C) Psycholinguistics uses grammatically correct but requiring reinterpretation by the end "garden path sentences," as "The woman whistling tunes pianos," to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time
D) "Garden path sentences" such as "The woman whistling tunes pianos" are grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, and are used in psycholinguistics to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time
E) "Garden path sentences" such as "The woman whistling tunes pianos" are grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, and are used in psycholinguistics to show that people build his or her understanding of a sentence one word at a time

Source : Grockit Mocks

As I understand "garden path sentences" is used as a term which makes it singular and would also make Answer Choice A correct. Now Im confused. Why is "garden path sentences" marked with inverted commas?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Psycholinguistics uses "garden path sentences," which [#permalink]
reto Even i answered this question with the same reasoning as yours, i think the inverted marks should be only for garden path and sentences should be outside the marks - "garden path" sentences. Only then it would make sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
reto, seems like it :)

Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
clearly a 3/2 pattern
hence A B C go off...
then comes choice between D and E...
the only difference is
D: people...their
E: people.. his or her..

D gives clear meaning while E goes unidiomatic.

Hence, IMO D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A) Psycholinguistics uses "garden path sentences," which is grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, for example "The woman whistling tunes pianos," to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time
B) Psycholinguistics uses "garden path sentences," which are grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, for example "The woman whistling tunes pianos," to show that people build his or her understanding of a sentence one word at a time
C) Psycholinguistics uses grammatically correct but requiring reinterpretation by the end "garden path sentences," as "The woman whistling tunes pianos," to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time
D) "Garden path sentences" such as "The woman whistling tunes pianos" are grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, and are used in psycholinguistics to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time
E) "Garden path sentences" such as "The woman whistling tunes pianos" are grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, and are used in psycholinguistics to show that people build his or her understanding of a sentence one word at a time

The key splits are 1. “their” vs “his or her” And 2. the use of the verb “is” vs “are. To qualify the subject garden path sentences.
People is plural and hence, we need to use the plural pronoun ‘their’; B and E are gone.
'Garden path sentences' is just a descriptive plural expression and not a singular collective noun. Hence, we do require ‘are’ as the matching verb. A is gone.
Between C and D: In C, the statement “uses grammatically correct but requiring reinterpretation” – is unparallel. So, D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:

The key splits are 1. “their” vs “his or her” And 2. the use of the verb “is” vs “are. To qualify the subject garden path sentences.
People is plural and hence, we need to use the plural pronoun ‘their’; B and E are gone.
'Garden path sentences' is just a descriptive plural expression and not a singular collective noun. Hence, we do require ‘are’ as the matching verb. A is gone.
Between C and D: In C, the statement “uses grammatically correct but requiring reinterpretation” – is unparallel. So, D.

Could u pls explain th per usage of comma + and are. I always though after a comma + and, we need a subject +verb. In the right choice, it's comma + and + verb
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
"Garden path sentences" such as "The woman whistling tunes pianos" are grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, and are used in psycholinguistics to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time
It is an accepted norm that we can drop the subject of the second arm of a two-part sentence if the subject of the first arm can act as a fitting subject. It is a legal parallel formation. The subject here is ‘garden path sentences”. Now let me insert the subject wherever required to make the meaning clear.

"Garden path sentences" such as "The woman whistling tunes pianos" are grammatically correct but ("Garden path sentences) require reinterpretation by the end, and ("Garden path sentences) are used in psycholinguistics to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time---
So now, to avoid repetition, the subject is elided and understood
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
Would u sentence still make sense if we removed the command before the "and"?

Posted from my mobile device
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rahulkashyap wrote:
Would u sentence still make sense if we removed the command before the "and"?

Yes, it would make sense. I would say that the comma should not have been there at all. If the comma is there before and, a subject should have been used for the verb are used.

I play and sing... correct.
I play, and I sing....... correct.
I play, and sing.... wrong.

Similarly in this sentence:
Sentences are correct but require and are used..... correct.
Sentences are correct but require, and they are used...... correct.
Sentences are correct but require, and are used..... wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
So does the right answer have the wrong usage then?

CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
rahulkashyap wrote:
So does the right answer have the wrong usage then?

Yes, the usage is wrong. Either the comma should not have been there, or there should have been a subject after comma (for the verb are used).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
For academic interest, please look into this

Quote:
https://faculty.deanza.edu/flemingjohn/stories/storyReader$16

C. Three or more of any parallel structures, including independent clauses, are separated by commas and one coordinating conjunction before the last item:
1. xxxx, yyyy, cc zzzz
2. wwww, xxxx, yyyy, cc zzzz
3. vvvv, wwww, xxxx, yyyy, cc zzzz
4. uuuu, vvvv, wwww, xxxx, yyyy, cc zzzz
Note that, when there are three or more parallel structures, a coordinating conjunction (cc) comes before the last item. Also, note that the final comma (the one before the conjunction) is optional. The parallel structures can be anything: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositional phrases, subjects, predicates, subordinate clauses, independent clauses,...
Here are some examples of C.1. above (3 parallel structures):
He sings, she dances, and everybody claps. (independent clauses)

He won the lottery, quit his job, and bought presents for all his friends. (predicates)

He bought a car, a motorcycle, and a computer. (nouns)
The motorcycle is red, white, and blue. (adjectives)
Everybody wants to meet him, to talk to him, and to get some money from him. (infinitive phrases)

"Garden path sentences" such as "The woman whistling tunes pianos" are grammatically correct but require reinterpretation by the end, and are used in psycholinguistics to show that people build their understanding of a sentence one word at a time

The three parallel elements in this structure are predicates such as 1. are grammatically correct, 2. require reinterpretation, and 3. are used. Therefore, we need to use the comma.

If we do not use the comma before the last and, this choice must be wrong. If so, what is the correct choice for this question?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Psycholinguistics uses "garden path sentences," which [#permalink]