Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Psychological research indicates that college hockey and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Psychological research indicates that college hockey and [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2006, 23:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Psychological research indicates that college hockey and football players are more quickly moved to hostility and aggression than are college athletes in noncontact sports such as swimming. But the researchers’ conclusion—that contact sports encourage and teach participants to be hostile and aggressive—is untenable. The football and hockey players were probably more hostile and aggressive to start with than the swimmers.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion drawn by the psychological researchers?

(A) The football and hockey players became more hostile and aggressive during the season and remained so during the off-season, whereas there was no increase in aggressiveness among the swimmers.
(B) The football and hockey players, but not the swimmers, were aware at the start of the experiment that they were being tested for aggressiveness.
(C) The same psychological research indicated that the football and hockey players had a great respect for cooperation and team play, whereas the swimmers were most concerned with excelling as individual competitors.
(D) The research studies were designed to include no college athletes who participated in both contact and noncontact sports.
(E) Throughout the United States, more incidents of fan violence occur at baseball games than occur at hockey or football games.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 00:54
My 10 second answer. C.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

Re: CR_Psychological research indicates.... [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 01:05
mm007 wrote:
Psychological research indicates that college hockey and football players are more quickly moved to hostility and aggression than are college athletes in noncontact sports such as swimming. But the researchers’ conclusion—that contact sports encourage and teach participants to be hostile and aggressive—is untenable. The football and hockey players were probably more hostile and aggressive to start with than the swimmers.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion drawn by the psychological researchers?

(A) The football and hockey players became more hostile and aggressive during the season and remained so during the off-season, whereas there was no increase in aggressiveness among the swimmers.

This is my answer. The palyers remained hostile even during off-season means that the players were hostile by nature.

(B) The football and hockey players, but not the swimmers, were aware at the start of the experiment that they were being tested for aggressiveness.
(C) The same psychological research indicated that the football and hockey players had a great respect for cooperation and team play, whereas the swimmers were most concerned with excelling as individual competitors.
(D) The research studies were designed to include no college athletes who participated in both contact and noncontact sports.
(E) Throughout the United States, more incidents of fan violence occur at baseball games than occur at hockey or football games.
SVP
SVP

Re: CR_Psychological research indicates.... [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 01:10
aurobindo wrote:
mm007 wrote:

This is my answer. The palyers remained hostile even during off-season means that the players were hostile by nature.

We need an answer that strengthens the research, not the answer that strengthens the criticism.So A is incorrect.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 01:22
i think its A...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 03:21
A

Football players are hostile through out the year.... then it decribes their nature, thus it had nothing to do with games...
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: CR_Psychological research indicates.... [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 03:33
I would go for A, the researchers concluded that contact sports encourage and teach participants to be hostile and aggressive
A says the players became more hostile during the season, indicating that the games made them that way, thus strengthening their conclusion.

mm007 wrote:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 07:01
I also think its A. what's OA?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 20:47
I picked C. Everyone else picked A. Can someone chime in?

The reason I picked C is

C establishes credibility for such psycholoical research by citing similar research.

My Profile/GMAT/MBA Story
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111-t59345

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 23:09
OA is A.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 05:14
ncprasad wrote:

The reason I picked C is

C establishes credibility for such psycholoical research by citing similar research.

Conclusion: The football and hockey players were probably more hostile and aggressive to start with than the swimmers.

The football and hockey players became hostile and stayed hostile in the off-season. They became and stayed hostile means, that there is something to do with nature.

(C) says that there is a great respect for cooperation and team play. This is to a certain extent weaking the conclusion "more hostile and aggressive to start with..."
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 10:38
aurobindo wrote:
ncprasad wrote:

The reason I picked C is

Conclusion: The football and hockey players were probably more hostile and aggressive to start with than the swimmers.

The football and hockey players became hostile and stayed hostile in the off-season. They became and stayed hostile means, that there is something to do with nature.

(C) says that there is a great respect for cooperation and team play. This is to a certain extent weaking the conclusion "more hostile and aggressive to start with..."

I agree with all of this. But I think the question is asking for something different.

Here's the problem I have. The research psychologists are saying that the agressive behavior is promoted by the contact sport. See below.

Psychological research indicates that college hockey and football players are more quickly moved to hostility and aggression than are college athletes in noncontact sports such as swimming

Further along the passage, the author of the passage argues that the research is flawed because the players are agressive by nature.

But the researchers’ conclusion—that contact sports encourage and teach participants to be hostile and aggressive—is untenable. The football and hockey players were probably more hostile and aggressive to start with than the swimmers.

Now, lets look at the question.

So, we need an answer that refutes the criticism leveled at the research by the author of the passage. That is, we need to weaken the argument "The football and hockey players were probably more hostile and aggressive to start with than the swimmers."

Lets look at A.

A strengthens the author's argument against the research. So, it cannot be the answer.

May be I am missing something obvious here ???

My Profile/GMAT/MBA Story
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111-t59345

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by ncp on 12 Dec 2006, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 10:40
Late but A
  [#permalink] 12 Dec 2006, 10:40