Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 914
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [2] , given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 20:24
2
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:33) correct 67% (01:52) wrong based on 249 sessions
Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some ill-informed scientists, photographic memory is a myth. Most of the top competitors at this summer’s national memory championship have brains that are neurologically indistinguishable from those of the general population and cognitive abilities that are seldom more than a standard deviation above average.

Which of the following would LEAST strengthen the argument above?

The competitors at this summer’s championship are typical of the segment of the population thought to have photographic memory.
People with photographic memories would have brains that are neurologically distinguishable from those of the general population.
Photographic memory requires cognitive abilities more than a standard deviation above average.
Photographic memory was initially proposed by a scientist whose theories of mind have since been widely discredited.
Photographic memory, if it exists, would be a requirement even to qualify for a national memory competition.
Source: Veri Prep

Plz explain your answer
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2445
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2626 [0], given: 697

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 13:45
Expert's post
clearly the contender are D and E

But E make the argument stronger because says that PM would be a requiremnt to partecipate so if you are qualified, your brain is different from the other people. So E is relevant to the argument

the least relevenat answer is D
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2012
Posts: 76
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 23

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 13:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
TGC wrote:
Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some ill-informed scientists, photographic memory is a myth. Most of the top competitors at this summer’s national memory championship have brains that are neurologically indistinguishable from those of the general population and cognitive abilities that are seldom more than a standard deviation above average.

Which of the following would LEAST strengthen the argument above?

The competitors at this summer’s championship are typical of the segment of the population thought to have photographic memory.
People with photographic memories would have brains that are neurologically distinguishable from those of the general population.
Photographic memory requires cognitive abilities more than a standard deviation above average.
Photographic memory was initially proposed by a scientist whose theories of mind have since been widely discredited.
Photographic memory, if it exists, would be a requirement even to qualify for a national memory competition.
Source: Veri Prep

Plz explain your answer


In my opinion , E is better than D. I am not sure how does E strengthen the conclusion.
Having hard time grasping the answer. How does E strengthen the argument "photographic memory is a myth" ?
D , to an extent strengthens , since scientists theories of mind have been discredited .
Appreciate if any of the veritas experts can help on this.

-Jyothi
_________________

Jyothi hosamani

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 265
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 401

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 15:15
gmacforjyoab wrote:
TGC wrote:
Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some ill-informed scientists, photographic memory is a myth. Most of the top competitors at this summer’s national memory championship have brains that are neurologically indistinguishable from those of the general population and cognitive abilities that are seldom more than a standard deviation above average.

Which of the following would LEAST strengthen the argument above?

The competitors at this summer’s championship are typical of the segment of the population thought to have photographic memory.
People with photographic memories would have brains that are neurologically distinguishable from those of the general population.
Photographic memory requires cognitive abilities more than a standard deviation above average.
Photographic memory was initially proposed by a scientist whose theories of mind have since been widely discredited.
Photographic memory, if it exists, would be a requirement even to qualify for a national memory competition.
Source: Veri Prep

Plz explain your answer


In my opinion , E is better than D. I am not sure how does E strengthen the conclusion.
Having hard time grasping the answer. How does E strengthen the argument "photographic memory is a myth" ?
D , to an extent strengthens , since scientists theories of mind have been discredited .
Appreciate if any of the veritas experts can help on this.

-Jyothi


Hi,

if there is a requirement to enter the competition and this requirement is photographic memory, than there is a category of people that have photographic memory. And it is not a myth. and it weeken the argument. Here we are looking for a strenghtener.

this question is really strange because it says LEAST. But in fact you are just looking for a basic argument that will strenghten the author's claim.

Here D is the only one that strenghten. So it is the least and the strongest argument that goes in the author's direction.

Hope it helps
_________________

Think outside the box

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 395
Location: India
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 10

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 23:59
gmacforjyoab wrote:
TGC wrote:
Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some ill-informed scientists, photographic memory is a myth. Most of the top competitors at this summer’s national memory championship have brains that are neurologically indistinguishable from those of the general population and cognitive abilities that are seldom more than a standard deviation above average.

Which of the following would LEAST strengthen the argument above?

The competitors at this summer’s championship are typical of the segment of the population thought to have photographic memory.
People with photographic memories would have brains that are neurologically distinguishable from those of the general population.
Photographic memory requires cognitive abilities more than a standard deviation above average.
Photographic memory was initially proposed by a scientist whose theories of mind have since been widely discredited.
Photographic memory, if it exists, would be a requirement even to qualify for a national memory competition.
Source: Veri Prep

Plz explain your answer


In my opinion , E is better than D. I am not sure how does E strengthen the cionclusion.
Having hard time grasping the answer. How does E strengthen the argument "photographic memory is a myth" ?
D , to an extent strengthens , since scientists theories of mind have been discredited .
Appreciate if any of the veritas experts can help on this.

-Jyothi


Choice E strengthens because if photographic memory is not a requirement to qualify for the championship then the top competitors in the competition may not really possess photographic memory and the author cannot arrive at the conclusion that he does. So it is more relevant to the author's argument than choice D which really has little relevance to the logic of the author.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Location: United States
GPA: 3.5
WE: Brand Management (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 23:36
can someone please help,In these types of questions,what is that one thing,that creates a thin line of difference between least strenthen vs strenghten the most?..and what considerations should be taken into account?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 07:48
PREMISE. Most of the top competitors at this summer’s national memory championship have brains that are neurologically indistinguishable from those of the general population and cognitive abilities that are seldom more than a standard deviation above average.

COUNTER PREMISE. Psychologist: photographic memory has been popularized by the media and even some ill-informed scientists.

CONCLUSION. Photographic memory is a myth.

Which of the following would LEAST strengthen the argument above?

The competitors at this summer’s championship are typical of the segment of the population thought to have photographic memory.STRENGTHENER...AS it proves that those participating are neurologically indistinguishable people
People with photographic memories would have brains that are neurologically distinguishable from those of the general populationSTRENGTHENER ....that is what the conclusion says.
Photographic memory requires cognitive abilities more than a standard deviation above average....but here we have competitors who have cognitive abilities that are seldom more than a standard deviation above average...hence nothing like photographic memory....strengthener..
Photographic memory was initially proposed by a scientist whose theories of mind have since been widely discredited.....hold...this is no logic to discredit him after all he is a scientist.....
Photographic memory, if it exists, would be a requirement even to qualify for a national memory competition...but it is not so hence it doesnt exist ...strengthener
Source: Veri Prep

IMO "D"
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1793
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 310

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 07:21
Note that we are looking for an answer choice that will strengthen the argument that there is in fact such thing as a photographic memory. Therefore, if PM is needed to quality to a certain contest, we can e sure that the contestants possess this ability. Therefore

E is our best answer choice

Hope this helps!
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 163
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 81

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 07:36
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
carcass wrote:
clearly the contender are D and E

But E make the argument stronger because says that PM would be a requiremnt to partecipate so if you are qualified, your brain is different from the other people. So E is relevant to the argument

the least relevenat answer is D


I certainly don't think so. E says PM, IF IT EXISTS, blah blah blah. the 'IF IT EXISTS' makes the option very neutral. it doesn't support or weaken anything anymore. it just says if PM existed, this would be the case. so technically this option whether is true or not in itseld relies on the existence of PM.
Re: Psychologist: Though popularized by the media   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2014, 07:36
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Even though energy drinks have gained popularity in the 16-2 anceer 3 24 Aug 2014, 23:13
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some greatps24 25 01 Feb 2013, 22:52
1 I have seen some questions where even though siddhans 4 30 May 2011, 17:26
Even though Bela Bartok's music has proved less popular than sher676 3 31 Jul 2009, 15:06
Even though Bla Bartks music has proved less popular than nakib77 6 29 Oct 2005, 05:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Psychologist: Though popularized by the media and even some

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.