Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PT # 15 SC 5

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
PT # 15 SC 5 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 20:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

62% (01:42) correct 38% (00:56) wrong based on 29 sessions
The expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility to have an economy free of inflation.

(A) be a serious impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility to have
(B) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have
(C) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility of having
(D) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have
(E) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of having

I have two issues related to this question.

1) People say that "impact" cannot be used with "on" if it is a verb, but I looked up the dictionary and found an example that is contradicted to what people say. Ex) Her father's death impacted greatly on her childhood years.

2) Does the word "impede" change the meaning of the sentence?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 22

Re: PT # 15 SC 5 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 01:17
Got the right answer.
Impede is different from diminish.
I think "diminish the possibility" is better suited here than " delay the possibility".
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: PT # 15 SC 5 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 05:20
can you guys please elaborate on the discussion? I can't see why B is wrong, for me there are parellelism issues on the other alternatives.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 7

Re: PT # 15 SC 5 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 12:33
Impede means to obstruct :
diminish means to reduce in value or effect.
You cannot obstruct the possibility of riots.
But,
You can obstruct the riots
on the other hand ::
you cannot diminish the riots
But,
You can diminish the possibility of riots.

So B ,D and C wrong
A wrong because ::
Noun (be a serious impact ) AND verb (severely diminish)
E correct by POE

IMO Correct answer should be ::
Seriously Impact industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of ...

Please correct me if i am wrong

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1983 [1] , given: 29

Re: PT # 15 SC 5 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi, there. I'm add my two cents to this discussion. :)

The expected rise in the price of oil could be a serious impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility to have an economy free of inflation.
(A) be a serious impact to industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility to have
(B) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have
(C) seriously impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility of having
(D) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely impede the possibility to have
(E) have a serious impact on industrialized nations and severely diminish the possibility of having

As I read the prompt, two things grated on me --- "a serious impact to . . ." and "the possibility to . . . ." Those are both wrong.

To eybrj2, I would say: I don't know who says that "impact" should not go with "on", but those people are wrong. If the verb "to impact" is going to be followed by a preposition, the preposition "on" is the exact right one. That's the correct idiom.

Another correct idiom is the word "of" following "probability". We speak of a "probability of" something, not a "probability to" something.

Just with those two issues, here are the answer choices:

That leaves (C) and (E). Then we get to that funny word "impede."

First of all, "impede" means to hinder, to put up obstacles in front of. The word "diminish" means to make less.

Probability is an abstract mathematical thing --- ultimately, it's a number. One can make this number more or less, but something is quite bizarre about the idea of impeding a number. It's like being told that a football player tackled the number pi --- it just doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, to "diminish the probability of X" is idiomatic, whereas there's something inherent wrong/awkward/strange about "impede the probability of X."

That means (C) is out also, so (E) is the only choice remaining that is free of all mistakes and awkwardness. Answer = (E)

Does all this make sense?
Here's another SC question with some similar issues.
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1160
When you submit your answer to this question, the following page will have the video explanation. At Magoosh, each one of our 800+ practice GMAT questions has its own video explanation. We offer high quality GMAT prep at a ridiculously low price, and at the moment (until Thursday 3/29) we are having a sale (see the banner at the top of the page, or click the link in my signature.)

Let me know if anyone reading this has any additional questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 31

Re: PT # 15 SC 5 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 03:43
E is good..............................!!!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: PT # 15 SC 5 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 05:06
lamanxa wrote:
can you guys please elaborate on the discussion? I can't see why B is wrong, for me there are parellelism issues on the other alternatives.

impact in B act as a verb which should be directly followed by an object rather than a preposition 'on'

Could impact X - impact as verb
could have impact on X - impact as noun

Hope you get the difference.

B/C are wrong for the above reason.
A/B/D - possibility/probability of is the right idiom.

IMO E.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: PT # 15 SC 5 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 05:16
Between options D and E.

When adjectives/verbs is used in combination with a preposition, it must be followed by a gerund, not by an infinitive.
With rule, option E is chosen.
Re: PT # 15 SC 5   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2012, 05:16