Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 127
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 08:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a means to derive public benefit from the laying of private television cables on public land.
A from the laying of private television cables on public land
B from laying private television cables on the public land
C by the laying of private television cables on the public's land
D from private television cables being laid on public land
E by laying private television cables on land that was public

Please explain your choices.

Last edited by Path on 30 Sep 2007, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 370
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 20:38
Why not "A" can some one explain the difference between the choices A and B
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: SC - cable TV [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 06:45
Path wrote:
Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a means to derive public benefit from the laying of private television cables on public land.
A from the laying of private television cables on public land
B from laying private television cables on the public land
C by the laying of private television cables on the public's land
D from private television cables being laid on public land
E by laying private television cables on land that was public

Please explain your choices.


My bet would be A.

We need to use laying as a gerund and "The laying of" uses laying as gerund.

Between "From the laying of pvt tv cables on public land" and "from laying pvt tv cables on THE public land" I prefer the first alternative because the definite article THE seems intrusive though I can't point the grammar rule involved.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 06:59
Some how I am not comfortable with both 'A' and 'B' .

How about 'D' .

Benifit from somthing - is it private TV cables or the process of laying them
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 07:03
Beyond700 wrote:
Some how I am not comfortable with both 'A' and 'B' .

How about 'D' .

Benifit from somthing - is it private TV cables or the process of laying them


Yup i considered D as well. However the BEING LAID put me off...I am not sure exactly why
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 97
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

agree with A [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 07:04
B: the 'the' before public land is not correct grammar. I am not sure what rule it is, but changes public land from being the receiver of an action to the subject (the cause of an action). Secondly, derived from needs a gerund or noun to follow, not a verb.

Answer is A.

Tough question, what is OA?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 127
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - cable TV [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 09:58
dwivedys wrote:
Path wrote:
Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a means to derive public benefit from the laying of private television cables on public land.
A from the laying of private television cables on public land
B from laying private television cables on the public land
C by the laying of private television cables on the public's land
D from private television cables being laid on public land
E by laying private television cables on land that was public

Please explain your choices.


My bet would be A.

We need to use laying as a gerund and "The laying of" uses laying as gerund.

Between "From the laying of pvt tv cables on public land" and "from laying pvt tv cables on THE public land" I prefer the first alternative because the definite article THE seems intrusive though I can't point the grammar rule involved.


You nailed it.

OA is A.

Both "from the laying...(noun)" and "from laying...(gerund)" are correct.
B is wrong because of the use of The ( Is "the use" correct here:)) . public land has not been mentioned earlier, so you can not use article the.
Re: SC - cable TV   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2007, 09:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Public-access cable television :SC suyash23n 4 13 Sep 2013, 06:59
3 Cable-television spokesperson: Subscriptions to cable PUNEETSCHDV 6 18 Oct 2012, 23:13
To install cable television in a home, a certain cable harshavmrg 1 26 Jun 2011, 06:17
2 Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a dimitri92 8 20 May 2010, 22:13
4 Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a ykaiim 22 20 Apr 2010, 05:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Public-access cable television was created in the 1970s as a

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.