Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618843 [36]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [4]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618843 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in its infancy, when Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, diminished for a while; however, today fear of flying is rare.

A. Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in its infancy, when Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, diminished for a while

B. Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in its infancy when Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, diminished for a while

C. Growing public enthusiasm for airline travel, still in its infancy, diminished after a while after Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s

D. When Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, growing public enthusiasm for airline travel, still in its infancy, diminished for a while

E. After Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, the enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel in its infancy diminished for a while

Official Explanation

C. The best choice here arranges the parts of the sentence in the most direct and clear way by keeping the modifiers as close as possible to the words they modify. In addition, choice C replaces when with a more appropriate and logical term, after.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel, can you please explain how diminished after a while after Amelia.... is correct?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
Send PM
Kudos
"Diminished after a while" does not convey the same meaning as the original " Diminished for a while"
Since Option C changes the meaning, it becomes an unlikely option.

Option D would have been more accurate if "when" were to be replaced by "after", but it still seems to be the best option out of all as it conveys the most consistent meaning in line with the original sentence without committing any grammatical mistakes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
What’s wrong with E? I eliminated C because “diminished after a while after” seemed awkward.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
Send PM
Kudos
In option E.

Error 1 : the use of past perfect continuous tense "had been growing" is unwarranted
Error 2 : the prepositional Phrase "in its infancy" incorrectly modifies airline travel instead of growing Public enthusiasm
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Can someone please explain me how "diminished after a while" which is different than "diminished for a while" be correct?

MentorTutoring GMATNinja daagh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Bookmarks
shameekv1989 wrote:
Can someone please explain me how "diminished after a while" which is different than "diminished for a while" be correct?

Let me try it for you,

Take an example,

S1: The trend of rising prices diminished for a while.

Here it means that the trend diminished for some time/ Or for a while. There can be certainty for the trend to come back.

S2: Diminished after a while: The trend of rising prices diminished after a while.

Here it means that the trend went on for sometime and then diminished.

Now our sentence is trying to say that, the public enthu for travel was growing, but the enthu diminished after the crash happened.

If you read answer choice C like this, it will make more sense:

Growing public enthusiasm (subject) for airline travel, still in its infancy(Modifying travel), diminished after a while (means that the enthu was growing and that enthu diminished after some time) (pause as another dependent clause begins from here)after
Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s.

Hope this helps!!

Cheers

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Send PM
Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in [#permalink]
Kudos
Shef08 wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Let me try it for you,

Take an example,

Here it means that the trend diminished for some time/ Or for a while. There can be certainty for the trend to come back.

S2: Diminished after a while: The trend of rising prices diminished after a while.

Now our sentence is trying to say that, the public enthu for travel was growing, but the enthu diminished after the crash happened.

Growing public enthusiasm (subject) for airline travel, still in its infancy(Modifying travel), diminished after a while (means that the enthu was growing and that enthu diminished after some time) (pause as another dependent clause begins from here)after

Hope this helps!!

Cheers

Shef08

The difference I see is following :-

Original -> Enthu growing... -> Plane disappeared -> Enthu diminished soon when plane disappeared (for a while) -> Enthu started growing again (implicit meaning)

Meaning in C) -> Enthu growing -> Plane disappeared -> Enthu still growing for sometime (implicit) -> Enthu diminished (after a while after plane disappeared) -> No further implicit information whether Enthu started growing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Kudos
shameekv1989 wrote:
Shef08 wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Let me try it for you,

Take an example,

Hope this helps!!

Cheers

Shef08

The difference I see is following :-

Original -> Enthu growing... -> Plane disappeared -> Enthu diminished soon when plane disappeared (for a while) -> Enthu started growing again (implicit meaning)

Meaning in C) -> Enthu growing -> Plane disappeared -> Enthu still growing for sometime (implicit) -> Enthu diminished (after a while after plane disappeared) -> No further implicit information whether Enthu started growing

Honestly, we are not quite concerned if the enthu is growing or not, What matters the most is that the sentence is constructed grammatically and meaning wise correct. I don't understand what do you intend to say with this sentence (highlighted), but I do sense that you have understood the fair bit of the construction in this sentence. If you compare your preferred answer and the correct answer, you will see how clear is choice C in its meaning despite being wordy,

A lil note if you find SC daunting (the way I find it), In the words of souvik101990, there will always be 4 incorrect choices and one correct choice, so if you are stuck between 2 options look very close to find a split that makes the other choice incorrect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Send PM
I can understand why options are incorrect such as the use of When in A,B and D and airline in its infancy in E, but on the same note if C used "for a while" to be inline with the original, I would have been okay. But "after a while" certainly changes the meaning a little bit as "after" and "for" are 2 different prepositions used in different contexts.

Basically my question is can such questions come in real GMAT wherein the correct answer may change the meaning from what it conveyed in Original sentence?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
It seems as if many people have been posting their thoughts on distorting the meaning of the original sentence, but remember, only the non-underlined portion of the original sentence is to be taken as gospel, nothing else. The pieces within the underlined portion can be arranged differently to convey different meanings, some clear, and others not so clear. Let us take a closer look at the two contentious options in (C) and (E). I am not going to touch on (A), (B), or (D) since everyone seems to be in agreement on the usage of when, which would indicate a singular moment in time. To the sentence, then, and our two options:

Bunuel wrote:
Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in its infancy, when Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, diminished for a while; however, today fear of flying is rare.

C. Growing public enthusiasm for airline travel, still in its infancy, diminished after a while after Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s

E. After Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, the enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel in its infancy diminished for a while

First off, I would say that in both sentences, in its infancy refers back to airline travel. In terms of the real-life timeline, airline travel was still a relatively new mode of travel by the 1930s. It would not make sense, in any case, to say that enthusiasm was in its infancy. Following through with the developmental analogy, are we to understand that there had been a birth or dawn of enthusiasm or a birth or dawn of airline travel? Getting to the matter at hand, in option (C), it makes sense that something growing might take a while to diminish once news of a tragedy or disappearance of a similar vehicle reached the ears of the public. Hence, after a while could characterize the gradual diminishment, as opposed to an instantaneous change. I agree: after a while after sounds awful. But in terms of meaning, we have a clear subject, growing public enthusiasm, a clear verb, diminished, and a clear timeline of events, with enthusiasm tapering off after the disappearance of a plane. Meanwhile, option (E) places the same in its infancy in a very tight and overburdened spot, leaving us to wonder whether the enthusiasm had been growing since the dawn of airline travel or whether such enthusiasm had been growing specifically for airline travel in its infancy. Both are valid interpretations, and ambiguity of meaning is the more egregious offense as far as the GMAT™ is concerned.

I would be happy to take on any additional queries related to this question or to the grammatical issues it introduces. As always, I want to wish everyone good luck with their studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Is 'after a while after ' correct ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1279
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in its infancy, when Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, diminished for a while

B. Public enthusiasm that had been growing for airline travel, still in its infancy when Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, diminished for a while

D. When Amelia Earhart’s plane disappeared in the 1930s, growing public enthusiasm for airline travel, still in its infancy, diminished for a while

Official Explanation

C. The best choice here arranges the parts of the sentence in the most direct and clear way by keeping the modifiers as close as possible to the words they modify. In addition, choice C replaces when with a more appropriate and logical term, after.

Can you help with why option E is not being relevant as it also uses after instead of when.?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts