Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Public health expert: Until recently people believed that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Public health expert: Until recently people believed that [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

36% (02:51) correct 64% (01:42) wrong based on 157 sessions
Public health expert: Until recently people believed that applications of biochemical research would eventually achieve complete victory over the microorganisms that cause human disease. However, current medical research shows that those microorganisms reproduce so rapidly that medicines developed for killing one variety will
only spur the evolution of other varieties that are immune to those medicines. The most rational public health strategy, therefore, would place much more emphasis than at present on fully informing people about the transmission of diseases caused by microorganisms, with a view to minimizing the incidence of such diseases.

Of the following, which one most accurately expresses the conclusion drawn by the public health expert?

(A) A medicine that kills one variety of disease causing microorganism can cause the evolution of a drug-resistant variety.
(B) A patient who contracts a disease caused by microorganisms cannot be effectively cured by present methods.
(C) There is good reason to make a particular change to public health policy.
(D) No one who is fully informed about the diseases caused by microorganisms will ever fall victim to those diseases.
(E) Some previous approaches to public health policy ignored the fact that disease-causing microorganisms reproduce at a rapid rate.

Can someone explain why option a is incorrect
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Public health expert: Until recently people believed that [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 15:05
C is correct. Good question.

'therefore' in the last sentence is the key: The conclusion is

public health strategy would place much more emphasis <than at present> on fully informing people about blah blah

'than at present' tells us that there is scope of editing/revising the publick health strategy.

Of the following, which one most accurately expresses
the conclusion drawn by the public health expert?

(A) A medicine that kills one variety of disease causing
microorganism can cause the evolution
of a drug-resistant variety. <<< This is not conclusion. Its given in the passage as premises

(B) A patient who contracts a disease caused by
microorganisms cannot be effectively cured by
present methods. <<< Can not say this from given info

(C) There is good reason to make a particular
change to public health policy. << Correct

(D) No one who is fully informed about the diseases
caused by microorganisms will ever fall victim
to those diseases. << given info doesn't say this.

(E) Some previous approaches to public health
policy ignored the fact that disease-causing
microorganisms reproduce at a rapid rate << Partially true, but again, not conclusion. Added premises to the first sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Public health expert: Until recently people believed that [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 23:00
Ppl belief: Biochem could achve vctry over micro until rec.
BUT, killing 1 -> other micro evolves
THEREFORE, MOST rational public health strat is spread INFO

(A) is an evidence Not the Point

(B) is not supported by argument; in fact, it says it can kill one micro (BUT cause others to evolve)

(C) is exactly the point (change public health policy/strategy)

(D) is extreme / not really supported by argument

(E) is not the point

Impossible is nothing to God.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: Public health expert: Until recently people believed that [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 20:03
I think A only represents information of this part "However, current medical research shows that
those microorganisms reproduce so rapidly that medicines developed for killing one variety will
only spur the evolution of other varieties that are immune to those medicines"
The primary purpose of this passage is to urge a change in public health strategy
VP
VP
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Public health expert: Until recently people believed that [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 03:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Public health expert: Until recently people believed that [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2014, 19:22
I disagree - I think that this question is weak, because the passage does not give information telling us what the current health care policy is; merely that a certain tactic is more rational.
Re: Public health expert: Until recently people believed that   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2014, 19:22