Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Public policy dictates the health risks the public routinely

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 699 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Public policy dictates the health risks the public routinely [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 20:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (03:29) correct 38% (02:42) wrong based on 128 sessions
Public policy dictates the health risks the public routinely takes. Statistical arguments about health risks are used primarily to deflect public fears, while contributing little to policy debate. For example, statistics are cited to imply that wearing a seat belt reduces one’s risk of death in an automobile accident, deflecting attention from the fact that a transportation policy that promotes increasing use of automobiles inherently increases any individual’s risk of death in an automobile accident.
The way the example functions above is most closely paralleled in which one of the following?
(A) Statistics indicate that an individual’s risk of contracting cancer from radiation emitted by a nuclear power plant is less than that of contracting cancer from sunshine. These statistics draw attention away from the fact that a policy of energy conservation is safer for human health than a policy based on nuclear energy.
(B) Statistics indicate that an urban resident’s risk of accidental death from any cause is no greater than that of an individual who lives in a suburban or rural area. These statistics counter the widely held public belief that urban areas are more dangerous than suburban or rural areas.
(C) Statistics indicate that the average life expectancy of males is shorter than that of females. This alone should not influence policies regarding eligibility for life insurance
because it is also true that any individual’s expectancy can be calculated on the basis of personal characteristics and health practices.
(D) Statistics indicate that the average life expectancy of males is shorter than that of females.When one accounts for the fact that females smoke less and are less likely to work in jobs in the chemical and manufacturing industries, the difference in life expectancy is narrowed.
(E) Statistics indicate that the number of people dependent on alcohol far exceeds the number dependent on illegal addictive drugs; thus, any policy for the control and treatment of substance abuse should provide for treatment of alcoholism.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 599 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Public policy dictates the health risks the public [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 22:13
Expert's post
Legendaddy wrote:
Public policy dictates the health risks the public routinely takes. Statistical arguments about health risks are used primarily to deflect public fears, while contributing little to policy debate. For example, statistics are cited to imply that wearing a seat belt reduces one’s risk of death in an automobile accident, deflecting attention from the fact that a transportation policy that promotes increasing use of automobiles inherently increases any individual’s risk of death in an automobile accident.
The way the example functions above is most closely paralleled in which one of the following?
(A) Statistics indicate that an individual’s risk of contracting cancer from radiation emitted by a nuclear power plant is less than that of contracting cancer from sunshine. These statistics draw attention away from the fact that a policy of energy conservation is safer for human health than a policy based on nuclear energy.
(B) Statistics indicate that an urban resident’s risk of accidental death from any cause is no greater than that of an individual who lives in a suburban or rural area. These statistics counter the widely held public belief that urban areas are more dangerous than suburban or rural areas.
(C) Statistics indicate that the average life expectancy of males is shorter than that of females. This alone should not influence policies regarding eligibility for life insurance
because it is also true that any individual’s expectancy can be calculated on the basis of personal characteristics and health practices.
(D) Statistics indicate that the average life expectancy of males is shorter than that of females.When one accounts for the fact that females smoke less and are less likely to work in jobs in the chemical and manufacturing industries, the difference in life expectancy is narrowed.
(E) Statistics indicate that the number of people dependent on alcohol far exceeds the number dependent on illegal addictive drugs; thus, any policy for the control and treatment of substance abuse should provide for treatment of alcoholism.

Quoted my reasoning.
We are supposed to find the same kind of reasoning and intent.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT Date: 12-10-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: Public policy dictates the health risks the public routinely [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 06:12
A,
Guys, how long do you take to solve such questions? I took 3 mints to solve it ? :(
Any tips to improve my timing in reasoning questions ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Public policy dictates the health risks the public routinely [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 07:11
hello fnumiamisburg

I took 2 min 20 sec to solve this. parallel reasoning ques take longer than other CR ques as we need to solve 5 arguments. I try to save time on SC and strengthen/weaken/assumption to have sufficient time for RCs and difficult CR ques. I am unable to reduce time on long CR ques.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Public policy dictates the health risks the public routinely [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 12:53
fnumiamisburg wrote:
A,
Guys, how long do you take to solve such questions? I took 3 mints to solve it ? :(
Any tips to improve my timing in reasoning questions ?

Took 1:33 secs, gotta stay in shape buddy

Cheers
J
Re: Public policy dictates the health risks the public routinely   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2014, 12:53