Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Public Sector Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Public Sector Evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 04:46

Last edited by PallMall on 20 Jan 2013, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Public Sector Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 20:21
Expert's post
PallMall wrote:
I am interested in applying for my MBA, however have some rather different goals than the usual applicant:

At matriculation will have worked as an analyst for the DoD for 3.5 years (where I deployed to Afghanistan and traveled in the Middle East), prior to that I was a management consultant (Big Four) in strategy, primarily focused in the Oil & Gas and Defense sectors for a year and spent a year consulting to the Civil Service and energy sector in a Western European country.

Education-wise, I hold my BA in International Relations from a Top 50 university (top 10 in IR) and a master's from a top UK university in IR also. Grade wise I did alright, earning a 3.1 UG GPA (3.55 in my major) and a 2i (equivalent 3.4-3.7 GPA) in my master's. In terms of the GMAT, I took a couple practice exams and scored 700 and 710 a little over a year ago and have always been a strong standardized test taker (SATs (98th/99th percentile), SAT IIs, etc).

My reason for wanting a MBA is fairly specific. I have a long term interest in DoD reform and Civil Service reform as a whole. Particularly I am interested in developing a more dynamic and professional civil service, which can attract the top applicants similar to the UK and French Civil Services, which the US does not do at present. Additionally, in the coming years with a reduced budget, I believe the DoD will have to learn to do more with less so to speak and there are many areas where this can be achieved via reorganization and the elimination of the duplication of effort.

With all that said, I am particularly interested in Yale SOM given its history with and to a large extent its engagement with the public sector and emphasis on service. Would I be at all competitive as an applicant? If so what can I do to improve my chances? And finally, are there any other MBAs of a similar note that emphasize public service?

Interesting goals. Their specificity and distinctiveness will help you.

If you GMAT comes in as anticipated, you will have a shot at Yale. I am however a little concerned that your UGPA is low for Yale. Was there an upward trend that would mitigate?

Also consider Georgetown. Have you consider a Masters in Public Policy?

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Public Sector Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 22:44
Accepted.com wrote:
PallMall wrote:
I am interested in applying for my MBA, however have some rather different goals than the usual applicant:

At matriculation will have worked as an analyst for the DoD for 3.5 years (where I deployed to Afghanistan and traveled in the Middle East), prior to that I was a management consultant (Big Four) in strategy, primarily focused in the Oil & Gas and Defense sectors for a year and spent a year consulting to the Civil Service and energy sector in a Western European country.

Education-wise, I hold my BA in International Relations from a Top 50 university (top 10 in IR) and a master's from a top UK university in IR also. Grade wise I did alright, earning a 3.1 UG GPA (3.55 in my major) and a 2i (equivalent 3.4-3.7 GPA) in my master's. In terms of the GMAT, I took a couple practice exams and scored 700 and 710 a little over a year ago and have always been a strong standardized test taker (SATs (98th/99th percentile), SAT IIs, etc).

My reason for wanting a MBA is fairly specific. I have a long term interest in DoD reform and Civil Service reform as a whole. Particularly I am interested in developing a more dynamic and professional civil service, which can attract the top applicants similar to the UK and French Civil Services, which the US does not do at present. Additionally, in the coming years with a reduced budget, I believe the DoD will have to learn to do more with less so to speak and there are many areas where this can be achieved via reorganization and the elimination of the duplication of effort.

With all that said, I am particularly interested in Yale SOM given its history with and to a large extent its engagement with the public sector and emphasis on service. Would I be at all competitive as an applicant? If so what can I do to improve my chances? And finally, are there any other MBAs of a similar note that emphasize public service?

Interesting goals. Their specificity and distinctiveness will help you.

If you GMAT comes in as anticipated, you will have a shot at Yale. I am however a little concerned that your UGPA is low for Yale. Was there an upward trend that would mitigate?

Also consider Georgetown. Have you consider a Masters in Public Policy?

Best,
Linda

There was an upward trend, including a 3.6 while studying abroad (which unfortunately was only factored in for credit, not GPA). I have considered an MPP/MPA however, given the cost it seems like an MBA is a far better investment. What do you think?

Also would it be advantageous for me to take a couple of classes to build an alternate transcript?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Public Sector Evaluation [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 21:09
Expert's post
PallMall wrote:

PallMall,

Thanks for your post.

Assuming that your GMAT comes in the range that you indicated above, yes you are competitive at Yale. Although your grades are a little lower than average for Yale, your GMAT would be close to average and your work experience is excellent. Your goal is also distinctive, but b-school education is relevant.

Also look into Georgetown. Columbia and NYU have joint MBA/MPA programs that you might want to look into. Johns Hopkins has an MBA/MA in Government .

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog