Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Public Sector to MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Public Sector to MBA [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 04:43
This post received
KUDOS
Paul,

I am interested in applying for my MBA, however have some rather different goals than the usual applicant:

At matriculation will have worked as an analyst for the DoD for 3.5 years (where I deployed to Afghanistan and traveled in the Middle East), prior to that I was a management consultant (Big Four) in strategy, primarily focused in the Oil & Gas and Defense sectors for a year and spent a year consulting to the Civil Service and energy sector in a Western European country.

Education-wise, I hold my BA in International Relations from a Top 50 university (top 10 in IR) and a master's from a top UK university in IR also. Grade wise I did alright, earning a 3.1 UG GPA (3.55 in my major) and a 2i (equivalent 3.4-3.7 GPA) in my master's. In terms of the GMAT, I took a couple practice exams and scored 700 and 710 a little over a year ago and have always been a strong standardized test taker (SATs (98th/99th percentile), SAT IIs, etc).

My reason for wanting a MBA is fairly specific. I have a long term interest in DoD reform and Civil Service reform as a whole. Particularly I am interested in developing a more dynamic and professional civil service, which can attract the top applicants similar to the UK and French Civil Services, which the US does not do at present. Additionally, in the coming years with a reduced budget, I believe the DoD will have to learn to do more with less so to speak and there are many areas where this can be achieved via reorganization and the elimination of the duplication of effort.

With all that said, I am particularly interested in Yale SOM given its history with and to a large extent its engagement with the public sector and emphasis on service. Would I be at all competitive as an applicant? If so what can I do to improve my chances? And finally, are there any other MBAs of a similar note that emphasize public service?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Public Sector to MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 21:19
Expert's post
Hey PallMall,

Thanks for reaching out to me - again. I thought your username and question sounded very familiar. I looked through my posts and realized that I have answered a similar question twice before.

The last time I believe I provided a very clear and thorough answer. In the interest of thoroughness and in reviewing your latest request, it is very much the same question you asked before. For your reference, here is your post and my answer – profile-evaluation-government-128203.html#p1051009.

Please let me know if there's something specific that you would like me to elaborate on further.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

PallMall wrote:
Paul,

I am interested in applying for my MBA, however have some rather different goals than the usual applicant:

At matriculation will have worked as an analyst for the DoD for 3.5 years (where I deployed to Afghanistan and traveled in the Middle East), prior to that I was a management consultant (Big Four) in strategy, primarily focused in the Oil & Gas and Defense sectors for a year and spent a year consulting to the Civil Service and energy sector in a Western European country.

Education-wise, I hold my BA in International Relations from a Top 50 university (top 10 in IR) and a master's from a top UK university in IR also. Grade wise I did alright, earning a 3.1 UG GPA (3.55 in my major) and a 2i (equivalent 3.4-3.7 GPA) in my master's. In terms of the GMAT, I took a couple practice exams and scored 700 and 710 a little over a year ago and have always been a strong standardized test taker (SATs (98th/99th percentile), SAT IIs, etc).

My reason for wanting a MBA is fairly specific. I have a long term interest in DoD reform and Civil Service reform as a whole. Particularly I am interested in developing a more dynamic and professional civil service, which can attract the top applicants similar to the UK and French Civil Services, which the US does not do at present. Additionally, in the coming years with a reduced budget, I believe the DoD will have to learn to do more with less so to speak and there are many areas where this can be achieved via reorganization and the elimination of the duplication of effort.

With all that said, I am particularly interested in Yale SOM given its history with and to a large extent its engagement with the public sector and emphasis on service. Would I be at all competitive as an applicant? If so what can I do to improve my chances? And finally, are there any other MBAs of a similar note that emphasize public service?

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Public Sector to MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 22:31
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey PallMall,

Thanks for reaching out to me - again. I thought your username and question sounded very familiar. I looked through my posts and realized that I have answered a similar question twice before.

The last time I believe I provided a very clear and thorough answer. In the interest of thoroughness and in reviewing your latest request, it is very much the same question you asked before. For your reference, here is your post and my answer – profile-evaluation-government-128203.html#p1051009.

Please let me know if there's something specific that you would like me to elaborate on further.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

PallMall wrote:
Paul,

Thank you for the response, apologies for posting again, however my goals changed (plus I have another deployment under my belt) and wondered if that would effect anything!
Expert Post

Re: Public Sector to MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 23:18
Expert's post
Hey PallMall,

Thanks for reaching out to me again.
To be honest, it's more of the same. It's time for you to consider making the leap to b-school. You have enough ammo for it - it's shit or get off the pot time. The mad recessionary rush is over and a lot of top 10's would love to have you.
What's your hesitation, if you don't mind?

Respectfully,
Paul

PallMall wrote:
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey PallMall,

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

PallMall wrote:
Paul,

Thank you for the response, apologies for posting again, however my goals changed (plus I have another deployment under my belt) and wondered if that would effect anything!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Public Sector to MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
My primary reservation is, I will have to leave my current position with the department and the lost income associated with this, especially given the current hiring pause for many agencies under DoD and the uncertainty of what will happen in the next two years. I also wonder whether there is a part-time solution, but unfortunately there are no good local MBA part-time programs at my current duty station. I know this is a fairly common concern for people leaving jobs however still doesn't make it necessarily any easier. And recently spoke to a top MBA who tried to address streamlining at DoD and left in frustration after 8 months, this makes me wonder if my goals are actually feasible. While jobs where I can do it exist, institutionally it may not be possible to affect the change I would like to.

[quote="PaulLanzillotti"]Hey PallMall,

To be honest, it's more of the same. It's time for you to consider making the leap to b-school. You have enough ammo for it - it's shit or get off the pot time. The mad recessionary rush is over and a lot of top 10's would love to have you.

Respectfully,
Paul
Expert Post

Re: Public Sector to MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 22:48
Expert's post
Hey PallMall,

Here is some advice - if you think about how everything needs to work out a certain way over the next two years in order for you to have achieved some type of goal (or make the MBA worthwhile), you will always get overwhelmed. That is the sense that I am gathering here. I can tell that your risk adverse, but the window is closing for you and your opportunity to attend a top business school. So by procrastinating you are letting father time make the decision for you.

There are very few people who go to business schools and end up coming out doing exactly what they initially planned to do. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches little bit more and see where life takes you. I am not saying that the MBA is a decision to be taken lightly. What I am saying is that it is a decision inherent with unknowns. He shouldn't worry about things you can control. You just need to rely on your wits, testicular fortitude and brains. If you get into a top business school program, you're going to land on your feet somewhere. I can guarantee that.

Finally, your 30,000 foot goal – to implement organizational change within the DOD – is admirable, but in the end is it that realistic? Even the president can implement that much change within the DOD. Besides that, it's almost irrelevant whether or not it's realistic, it's just what you need to put forth in the essays. If you can do it eventually – fine. If you cannot do it, you have an MBA – so shift gears into something else.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

PallMall wrote:
My primary reservation is, I will have to leave my current position with the department and the lost income associated with this, especially given the current hiring pause for many agencies under DoD and the uncertainty of what will happen in the next two years. I also wonder whether there is a part-time solution, but unfortunately there are no good local MBA part-time programs at my current duty station. I know this is a fairly common concern for people leaving jobs however still doesn't make it necessarily any easier. And recently spoke to a top MBA who tried to address streamlining at DoD and left in frustration after 8 months, this makes me wonder if my goals are actually feasible. While jobs where I can do it exist, institutionally it may not be possible to affect the change I would like to.

PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey PallMall,

Respectfully,
Paul

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Public Sector to MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 00:11
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey PallMall,

Here is some advice - if you think about how everything needs to work out a certain way over the next two years in order for you to have achieved some type of goal (or make the MBA worthwhile), you will always get overwhelmed. That is the sense that I am gathering here. I can tell that your risk adverse, but the window is closing for you and your opportunity to attend a top business school. So by procrastinating you are letting father time make the decision for you.

There are very few people who go to business schools and end up coming out doing exactly what they initially planned to do. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches little bit more and see where life takes you. I am not saying that the MBA is a decision to be taken lightly. What I am saying is that it is a decision inherent with unknowns. He shouldn't worry about things you can control. You just need to rely on your wits, testicular fortitude and brains. If you get into a top business school program, you're going to land on your feet somewhere. I can guarantee that.

Finally, your 30,000 foot goal – to implement organizational change within the DOD – is admirable, but in the end is it that realistic? Even the president can implement that much change within the DOD. Besides that, it's almost irrelevant whether or not it's realistic, it's just what you need to put forth in the essays. If you can do it eventually – fine. If you cannot do it, you have an MBA – so shift gears into something else.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

PallMall wrote:

PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey PallMall,

Respectfully,
Paul

Thanks Paul, after giving it a fair bit of thought, I'm going to go for it and I've started making my list of programs, though I feel like I may be aiming a bit to high, but honestly don't want to necessarily attend a B-school outside of the Top 20.

Wharton UPenn (Possibly unrealistic given my 3.1 UG GPA, 3.5 in my major)

SOM Yale (love the culture of the school and its track record of placing into the public sector)
Dartmouth Tuck (again love the culture, close knit atmosphere, and alumni network)

Fuqua Duke (Always loved Duke, and again culturally it sounds like a fit)

Darden UVA (Close-ish to DC, seem to have an affinity for military applicants, maybe this translates to DoD civilians as well)

Having trouble picking a sixth option, but I am looking at Cornell, Michigan, and Georgetown...any suggestions on these or any others you would include?