Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

publications in resumes?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

publications in resumes? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
I have a few publications and was wondering if I should/could list them in my business school resume. Any thoughts?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: publications in resumes? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 06:34
I've only seen publications as part of the more academically oriented CVs. I think someone (terry12?) had an anecdotal example about how he included publications as part of his CV but not his resume.

Another thing to consider: do these publications add value to your resume? or would that space be better spent on a different item?

cheers,
ac.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: publications in resumes? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 06:53
ac8706 wrote:
I've only seen publications as part of the more academically oriented CVs. I think someone (terry12?) had an anecdotal example about how he included publications as part of his CV but not his resume.

Another thing to consider: do these publications add value to your resume? or would that space be better spent on a different item?

cheers,
ac.

I agree that publications are part of of a CV and not a resume, but at least in my opinion, stating the publications is quite relevant to my work - I am a scientist and as part of my work and other colleagues, I was able to apply a new method to an applicable area within my industry, thus enhancing productivity. It is not a pure science research. For example, researching the Green's function is pure math research, but applying to medical tomography and CAT is an application of that pure research.

And if I couldn't include these in my resume, where would I include them? In my field of work, even though job applicants submit resumes, they often include their publications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Attending Stanford
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Re: publications in resumes? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 07:27
Sarzan, I wouldn't list full citations in the resume. Full citations might make sense in a resume submitted for a job in your technical field, but a resume written for B-school applications will be read by people with relatively limited technical knowledge. You could instead try condensing the citations into something along the lines of this:

- Five first-author publications (3 in Journal X, 2 in The Y Journal) regarding Topic Z

Then you could go ahead and put in another line describing the impact of the research. The Adcom will understand. And this method will save space and make your resume look less cluttered.

When you do eventually go looking for a job (assuming your desired position is in a related technical field), you'll have two options:
- Submit the resume with the condensed citations. If the firm wants more details, they'll ask for them.
- Just submit a CV.
I had some experience with this when I applied for internships this summer. Most of the firms asked for my CV, though a couple just wanted the resume and called for clarifications.
Manager
Manager

Re: publications in resumes? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 08:05
terry12 wrote:
Sarzan, I wouldn't list full citations in the resume. Full citations might make sense in a resume submitted for a job in your technical field, but a resume written for B-school applications will be read by people with relatively limited technical knowledge. You could instead try condensing the citations into something along the lines of this:

- Five first-author publications (3 in Journal X, 2 in The Y Journal) regarding Topic Z

Then you could go ahead and put in another line describing the impact of the research. The Adcom will understand. And this method will save space and make your resume look less cluttered.

When you do eventually go looking for a job (assuming your desired position is in a related technical field), you'll have two options:
- Submit the resume with the condensed citations. If the firm wants more details, they'll ask for them.
- Just submit a CV.
I had some experience with this when I applied for internships this summer. Most of the firms asked for my CV, though a couple just wanted the resume and called for clarifications.

Thanks terry12 for the feedback. This does help. But one question: when you say I could condense it to a line or so, under which heading or sub-topic in your resume would you include this line?

Also, did you discuss these publications in your essays?

Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Attending Stanford
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Re: publications in resumes? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 08:20
I included the publications under the corresponding job heading, in a manner similar to other responsibilities and accomplishments. I did write about one of my publications in my essays- the one that I thought had the broadest and most significant impact.
Manager
Manager

Re: publications in resumes? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 08:28
terry12 wrote:
I included the publications under the corresponding job heading, in a manner similar to other responsibilities and accomplishments. I did write about one of my publications in my essays- the one that I thought had the broadest and most significant impact.

cool. thanks again.
Re: publications in resumes?   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2008, 08:28