Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 369 [3] , given: 0

Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (02:35) correct 36% (01:20) wrong based on 224 sessions
Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, Far from the Maddening Crowd won Hardy immediate success, combining both an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtone that were to set the theme for his later works.

A. Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, Far from the Maddening Crowd won Hardy immediate success, combining both an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtone

B. First attributed to George Eliot, Hardy won immediate success upon publishing Far from the Maddening Crowd; in it are combined an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtones

C. Far from the Maddening Crowd was published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, and also won Hardy immediate success; it combines an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtone

D. Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, Far from the Maddening Crowd, combing an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtones, won Hardy immediate success

E. Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, Far from the Maddening Crowd won Hardy immediate success; it combines an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtones
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 04:19
i think it it is (e)
(D) and (E) are most likely, but (D) correctly gives the reason for Hardy's success, i.e., the exceptional plot of the book
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 05:39
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, Far from the Maddening Crowd won Hardy immediate success, combining both an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtone that were to set the theme for his later works.

A. Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, Far from the Maddening Crowd won Hardy immediate success, combining both an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtone
Combining both x with y and n with m--> should be used
combining both x with y that were set--> is wrong

B. First attributed to George Eliot, Hardy won immediate success upon publishing Far from the Maddening Crowd; in it are combined an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtones
the sentence after semi colon is awkward and unnecessarily lengthy.
"are" is wrong....x is combined with y....it should be singular

C. Far from the Maddening Crowd was published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, and also won Hardy immediate success; it combines an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtone
", and" should be followed by a clause-> also won hardy.... does not have a subject.
also the use of "it' after ';' is ambiguous. It could refer to either success or far from the maddening crowd.
Sarai please correct me on this use of 'it' whether it is ambiguous or not. As 'it' is placed near to success but since it was separated by semicolon "it" can refer to both.

D. Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, Far from the Maddening Crowd, combing an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtones, won Hardy immediate success
The sentence construction is wrong...."Far from the Maddening Crowd" seems to modify "Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot"

E. Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, Far from the Maddening Crowd won Hardy immediate success; it combines an architecturally perfect plot with the philosophical overtones
Modifier, subject + verb ; clause

Sarai I have 2 doubts,

1. Use of 'it' in C and E? Is it ambiguous or not? I m confused just because of the semi colon. Should we take the nearest antecedent only?
2. In D ',' has been used 4 times. ',' is used to separate non essential modifiers , so how to approach D option in your opinion.

Please correct me in my explanations above where ever I m wrong.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 369 [3] , given: 0

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
gurpreetsingh wrote:
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:

", and" should be followed by a clause-> also won hardy.... does not have a subject.
also the use of "it' after ';' is ambiguous. It could refer to either success or far from the maddening crowd.
Sarai please correct me on this use of 'it' whether it is ambiguous or not. As 'it' is placed near to success but since it was separated by semicolon "it" can refer to both.

The sentence construction is wrong...."Far from the Maddening Crowd" seems to modify "Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot"

Sarai I have 2 doubts,

1. Use of 'it' in C and E? Is it ambiguous or not? I m confused just because of the semi colon. Should we take the nearest antecedent only?
2. In D ',' has been used 4 times. ',' is used to separate non essential modifiers , so how to approach D option in your opinion.

Hi gurpreetsingh,

The answer is indeed E, and you've analyzed the answer choices well!

To answer your first question, only for relative pronouns (that, which, who, whom, and whose) does proximity to the referent matter. So ambiguity is not an issue here.

As for your second question, a sentence can have any number of commas; "too many commas" would never be reason to eliminate an answer, so let's analyze the answers again:

Idiom: Both A and B. "and" cannot be replaced with any word once you have the word "both".

"that were to set the the theme..."= relative clause referring to "overtone"; but "overtone" is singular, "were" plural.

Subject modifier: Hardy (subject) cannot be described by the modifier "attributed to George Eliot." The book, not the author, was attributed.

There are only two occasions on which a comma appears before the word 'and':

1) Independent clause [,and] Independent clause
Ex. I eat steak, and my brother eats fish.

2) A list: a, b [, and] c
I like steak, fish, and chicken.
There is no other way to punctuate a list on the SC. You can and must use the word 'and' only once!

Again, "overtone" is singular, "that were" plural.

The relative clause, "that were to set the theme," is nowhere near the word "overtones" to which it should refer.

Correct: "Published..." = subject modifier.
"Far from the Maddening Crowd" = subject (the thing that was published)
Idiom: Both A and B
Relative clause, "that were to set...." correctly placed next to plural referent, "overtones"

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 04:28
Awesome explanation about "and"

Thanks Sarai ! :lol:

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 09:00
this was a fun one.

my strategy to quickly tackle this is to notice that this SC is testing for:

1) intro modifier ... we're modifying a piece of work here, not a person... so elminate B
2) "that were..." at the end (which is NOT underlined) signals a plural form of the subject that this relative clause modifies... so eliminate A, C, D.

This leaves you with (E)... then read (E) again to make sure everything sounds kosher :P

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 16

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 20:00
Excellent Explanation Sarai... +1 kudos to u...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 09:40
Thank you for the explanation!
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 235

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 10:57
Thanks sarai for the wonderful explanation.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 03:03
a tough question indeed. i was able to answer correctly though i took well over 2mins to answer.

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 18:56
+1 for E, in 2+ min.

Good question.

Crick
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 25

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 04:25
It was mainly between D and E, but to what does 'it' refer to in E? Can we say with confirmation that it refers to the book because it was in a clause before ';'?

Working towards a goal...
V.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 04:36
E. I did it correctly. This was tough
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 10:09
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:

Sarai I have 2 doubts,

Hi gurpreetsingh,

The answer is indeed E, and you've analyzed the answer choices well!

To answer your first question, only for relative pronouns (that, which, who, whom, and whose) does proximity to the referent matter. So ambiguity is not an issue here.

As for your second question, a sentence can have any number of commas; "too many commas" would never be reason to eliminate an answer, so let's analyze the answers again:

Idiom: Both A and B. "and" cannot be replaced with any word once you have the word "both".

"that were to set the the theme..."= relative clause referring to "overtone"; but "overtone" is singular, "were" plural.

Subject modifier: Hardy (subject) cannot be described by the modifier "attributed to George Eliot." The book, not the author, was attributed.

There are only two occasions on which a comma appears before the word 'and':

1) Independent clause [,and] Independent clause
Ex. I eat steak, and my brother eats fish.

2) A list: a, b [, and] c
I like steak, fish, and chicken.
There is no other way to punctuate a list on the SC. You can and must use the word 'and' only once!

Again, "overtone" is singular, "that were" plural.

The relative clause, "that were to set the theme," is nowhere near the word "overtones" to which it should refer.

Correct: "Published..." = subject modifier.
"Far from the Maddening Crowd" = subject (the thing that was published)
Idiom: Both A and B
Relative clause, "that were to set...." correctly placed next to plural referent, "overtones"

Excellent explnation. Very informative post.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 10:38
yup.. i agree... helped me brush up a few pointers...
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 20:03
+1E

Not an ideal sentence, but it is the best.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 21:03
I am still confused with the 'it' in D.......so after semicolon if we use 'it'....it will refer to the previous sentence noun ??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 21:15
Sarai.....can you explain the use of ',and' in this sentence.......does use of 'as such' still makes it an independant clause or it is incorrect......

Caesarea was Herod’s city, founded as a Romanized counterweight to Hebraic Jerusalem, and
as such it was regarded with loathing by the devout.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 21:41
I picked D but now I understand why the correct answer is E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 22:56
I'll go with E.
Another take away idiom are ->
1. combining both X with A and Y with B, and
2. combining X with A.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.