Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Published during the late eighteenth century, Diderots

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Published during the late eighteenth century, Diderots [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2008, 07:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

10% (02:36) correct 90% (00:51) wrong based on 10 sessions
Published during the late eighteenth century, Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of such a sensational scandal, and both men prudently chose to embark on extended vacations in nearby Austria.
(A) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of such a sensational scandal, and
(B) Diderot and his friend Voltaire’s caused such a sensational scandal with their factual Encyclopedia and fictional Candide, respectively, that
(C) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of a scandal so sensational that
(D) the scandal caused by Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide was so sensational
(E) a factual Encyclopedia by Diderot and the fictional Candide, by his friend Voltaire, caused a sensational scandal, which
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2008, 07:49
vivektripathi wrote:
Published during the late eighteenth century, Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of such a sensational scandal, and both men prudently chose to embark on extended vacations in nearby Austria.
(A) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of such a sensational scandal, and
(B) Diderot and his friend Voltaire’s caused such a sensational scandal with their factual Encyclopedia and fictional Candide, respectively, that
(C) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of a scandal so sensational that
(D) the scandal caused by Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide was so sensational
(E) a factual Encyclopedia by Diderot and the fictional Candide, by his friend Voltaire, caused a sensational scandal, which

AND should be C. Only A and C left due to "Published...". C is better than A...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2008, 08:11
IMO "E"
i know its passive form but still in think that makes the most

Nik...
Score Big
time is Less WORK is more

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2008, 08:14
E is wrong.

its ending with "which"...the underlying part, then starts with "and"...
>>> which and both men..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 13:36
This post received
KUDOS
vivektripathi wrote:

Answer is E. There is problem with the question. 'And' should have been underlined, that Vivek does in option A.

Option B: Diderot cant be published.
Option D: The scandal want published but it was encyclopedia that was published.
Option A & D: pronoun referance problem. His refer to Diderot, but Diderot appears only as possesive noun. Diderot isn't mentioned in the option rather its the encycolpedia written by him that is mentioned.

E corrects the pronoun reference problem.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 13:59
jatinrai your point is valid but "which both men......" is so awkward
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 14:01

What follows the comma should be "Diderot's factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire's fictional Candide"
since these are "Published during the late eighteenth century". Eliminate B and D. Modifier issue.

A: "such a sensational scandal" is wrong. "and" at the end doesn't convey the correct meaning that the scandal was so sensational that both men prudently chose to embark on extended vacation"

E: "which" refers to scandal. they didn't chose scandal to embark on vacation.

C: Uses the correct Idiom. So X that Y and also expresses the meaning clearly. CORRECT. IMO.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 14:10
Can someone clarify what is "his" referring to in C?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 17

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
I'm definitely going with C, and "his" is referring to Diderot.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 22:44
Yes, you people are right. I chose E but now I tink its C, for the simple reason that, E, although logically may be correct but, doesn't makes any sense when fitted in the complete sentence. In all possibilities, scandal wan't chosen by the two men.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 06:05
i would go with C,
but your underlining is not correct.
check the underline!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 07:17
Grammatically, all of them are WRONG. You can't say : "were" and "cause" together. It should be "causes" and not "cause". However, in the given format that we have, C seems to be the best answer because it also lends meaning to the whole sentence. There was so much problem aroused by their publications "that" they chose to go on an extended vacation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 10:58
spriya wrote:
vivektripathi wrote:
(A) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of such a sensational scandal, and -> this is
awkward ,and seems incorrect
(B) Diderot and his friend Voltaire’s caused such a sensational scandal with their factual Encyclopedia and fictional Candide, respectively, that -> published and diderot dont go together
(C) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of a scandal so sensational that ->so that right usage !!!IMO
(D) the scandal caused by Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide was so sensational -> that is missing so that is correct idiom
(E) a factual Encyclopedia by Diderot and the fictional Candide, by his friend Voltaire, caused a sensational scandal, which -> which is incorrect

Bingo...OA is C. +1 for your explaination
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 02:31
Initially I thought it is C but then I notice that 'both men' does not have a clear antecedent in the sentence. Thus I chose E since the ambiguity is solved there. I thought that the 'which' logically modified the scandal (describes the scandal). I know the answer is C but I still think C is wrong since only the possessive form is there.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 07:04
I'm going to have to go with C.

It is the only one that doesn't seem awkward

Go Blue!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 13:16
both comments above me - you do not help a lot.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 11:15
What is the source of this question ?

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 17:04
don't see any best/perfect ans here...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Diderot [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 01:39