Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC) - Page 2
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 06 Dec 2016, 10:07
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 69

Re: Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2014, 21:21
kedusei wrote:
I was going to choose C but the format looks like only randolph was making his reputation

It is correct only Randolph will make his reputation. Correct sentence below:

Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.

My question was about tense used in this clause. 'would later make' seems to express that reputation will be made in future and how could any one do prediction like this ? This doesn't make any sense with regards to tense.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 2049

Kudos [?]: 6977 [1] , given: 262

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2014, 01:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
umeshpatil wrote:

It is correct only Randolph will make his reputation. Correct sentence below:

Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.

My question was about tense used in this clause. 'would later make' seems to express that reputation will be made in future and how could any one do prediction like this ? This doesn't make any sense with regards to tense.

Hi umeshpatil,

Thank you for the post. :-)

‘Would’ can certainly be used to refer to the future, but only when referring to a hypothetical action that may or may not take place. For example:
• It would be very difficult for me to finish the work by tomorrow night.
• It would be impossible to fly first class to Paris; it’s too expensive.

When we’re sure that an action is going to take place, we use ‘will’. For example:
• I will finish the work by tomorrow night. – Correct.
• I would finish the work by tomorrow night. – Incorrect.

However, this official question is NOT conveying anything about the future. This sentence refers to an event in the past. Let’s consider a couple of simple examples before discussing the official question:

• When Steve Jobs dropped out of college in 1972, no one thought that he would go on to be a billionaire.

MEANING ANALYSIS
• This sentence tells us that Steve Jobs dropped out of college in 1972.
• At that time no one thought that he would become a billionaire.

So, here the ‘would + verb’ represents indicates that in 1972, no one expected that Steve Jobs would become a billionaire. So, this is a case in which we use ‘would’ to talk about an event that was going to take place. Here’s another example:
• In May, analysts announced that the economy would probably recover by the end of the year.

Meaning: The analysts announced in the past that a particular action would take place in the future.

Now, let’s move on to the official question:

SENTENCE STRUCTURE
• Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists,
o A. Philip Randolph,
 who would later make his reputation as a labor leader,
o and Chandler Owen.

MEANING ANALYSIS
• This sentence describes an event from the past. It tells us that a certain publication, The Messenger, was published in Harlem.
• The Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists A. Philip Randolph and Chandler Owen.
o A. Philip Randolph would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

So, everything stated in the sentence happened in the past. Even Randolph making his reputation as a labor leader happened in the past. The ‘would + verb’ only indicates that the action of Randolph making his reputation happened later in the past than the action of The Messenger getting published.

Hope the above discussion helps! :-)

Regards,

Deepak.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2014, 09:29
bmwhype2 wrote:
590. Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

(A) Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

(B) Published in Harlem, two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, were the owner and editor of the Messenger.

(C) Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.

(D) The Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and published in Harlem.

(E) The owner and editor being two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, the Messenger was published in Harlem.

Will go with C.

(C) Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.
in red : correct modifier ,
Correct meaning
Concise

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.24
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 58

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2014, 02:06
This post received
KUDOS
kedusei wrote:
I was going to choose C but the format looks like only randolph was making his reputation

In C , the part of the sentence in between the commas ' who would later make his reputation as a labor leader ' acts as a modifier for Randolph. Try reading the sentence bypassing the modifier. It would read "........ by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph [,.....,]and Chandler Owen."
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 260

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 10:57
bmwhype2 wrote:
590. Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

(A) Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

(B) Published in Harlem, two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, were the owner and editor of the Messenger.

(D) The Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and published in Harlem.

(E) The owner and editor being two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, the Messenger was published in Harlem.

Why do we have pronoun ambiguity in B and D, with respect to 'who'?

Normally we know that relative pronouns refer to the immediate noun before them. Hence, in B and D we can think that 'who' refers to the closest noun, A. Philip Randolph.
Since after 'who' in both sentences we have 'his reputation', we know that the 'who' only refers to one of the guys.
If we wanted to include both guys, then we would use '... their reputation as ....'
If we wanted to modify Chandler Owen and not the A. Philip Randolph, then we would place Owen after Randolph, so that the 'who' pronoun would have modified 'Owen'.

I do not see any reason that why this relative clause with who is ambiguous in B and D?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 885

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 08:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V25
GPA: 3.59

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 34

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 07:47
This post received
KUDOS
Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

(A) Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.... [color=#ed1c24]Modifier Error as no Noun follows the comma after the phrase "Published after Harlem".[/color]

(B) Published in Harlem, two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, were the owner and editor of the Messenger....[color=#ed1c24] Same as in A.[/color]

(C) Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen... [color=#ed1c24]Although an awkward construction, the sentence correctly places the Noun "The Messenger" after the Opening Modifier "Published in Harlem", Further the Non Essential Modifier "who would...labor leader" correctly modifies A. Philip Randolph.
[/color][/color]
(D) The Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and published in Harlem.... Who a singular pronoun can't refer back to " Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph" as this sentence implies. Therefore "Who" has got no antecedent.

(E) The owner and editor being two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, the Messenger was published in Harlem.... This sentence has Multiple problems, as mentioned in C, "who" can't refer back to the plural "Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph". Further, the clause ", the messenger was published in Harlem" is joined with the rest of the sentence with a comma, resulting in a Run on Sentence.

Hope This Helps.

Perseverance, the answer to all our woes. Amen.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 88

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

...> 'published in Harlem' modify 'the owner and editor' which is wrong...here, ' the owner and editor' are just one person, we don't know who is that one guy! also there is a pronoun ambiguity in this sentence. here 'his' is used for two person.
...>'published in Harlem' modify 'the owner and editor' which is wrong...pronoun (his) is used for two persons... ' the owner and editor' are just one person, we don't know who is that one guy!
...>match everything perfectly.
...>pronoun (his) is used for two persons......the distance between 'the messenger' and published in Harlem is far away.
'being' is red flag in GMAT,....pronoun (his) is used for two persons...,' the owner and editor' are just one person, we don't know who is that one guy!
Did i make any mistake, expert ? please help me if i make any mistake in my explanation.

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 129

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
I chose C too cuz it looked best among others, but isn't C in passive voice and we are asked to ignore/avoid Passive voices in GMAT?
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 88

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
@p00rv@ wrote:
I chose C too cuz it looked best among others, but isn't C in passive voice and we are asked to ignore/avoid Passive voices in GMAT?

This is not the actual case here. It depends on the situation. If a sentence use active voice and passive voice simultaneously then it, sometimes, is cross out not every times.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 98-30.html
here, there is a discussion about active voice and passive voice by Ron. Please see the last two posts of this thread. Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 779 [1] , given: 25

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 22:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There's no rule that we should avoid the passive voice. Our informal research suggests that passive voice is correct about 50% of the time that it appears in SC. In other words, it's not any more or less likely to be correct than the active voice!

What we want to avoid is the use of passive voice when active makes more sense. There's certainly no reason to say something like "Tacos are preferred by me," but there are many cases in which the passive voice is the only correct way to express a certain idea. Sometimes we don't even know who did the action (as in "My car was stolen"), making active voice impossible.

Check out this example of a sentence in which parallelism is maintained despite a shift from active to passive voice: dressed-as-a-man-and-using-the-name-robert-shurtleff-37264.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2016, 22:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ]