Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 7

Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 10:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

64% (01:10) correct 36% (00:50) wrong based on 7 sessions
Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town announces that because the service is unprofitable, it will discontinue this service next year. Town officials have urged the community to use the airline’s service more frequently so that the airline will change its decision. There is no reason to comply with their recommendation, however, for just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.
The Pundit’s reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it presumes, without providing justification, that
(A) Increasing the number of tickets sold without increasing ticket prices will be sufficient to make continued air service economically feasible.
(B) Suspending service and losing money by continuing service are the airline’s only options.
(C) The town officials paid for their trip with taxpayers’ money rather than their own money.
(D) Ground transportation is usually no less expensive than airplane transportation.
(E) If the town officials did not follow their own advice, then that advice is not worth following.

I took Weakening approach here.. Will let know the answer once explained here
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1120
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 16:39
Expert's post
(A) because the argument is that if the airline's service is used more the airline would continue its service. The airline will continue its service because it will be profitable. However, the airline may be unprofitable for other reasons, for example, there's a mandated price ceiling on the airline ticket, which does not allow the airline to recover its costs.
_________________

Diversity

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2004
Posts: 204
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 23:13
Eliminated b,c,d,
Between A and E............A looks better
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 23:21
asimov
I get your point and Where you are going. I must say that I got it a little bit wrong is thinking that the question is of WKNing type. It seems to me like an Assumption question now.

Before giving the answer now, I would like to know the conclusion here.
Are there more than 1 conclusion here?
Moreover, I would like to know correctness of my judgement of classifying it in Assumption Finding category of question.
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 23:24
mdfrahim wrote:
Eliminated b,c,d,
Between A and E............A looks better


Can I have reasoning for choices your elimination? Also why A better than E?
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 23:28
asimov wrote:
(A) because the argument is that if the airline's service is used more the airline would continue its service. The airline will continue its service because it will be profitable. However, the airline may be unprofitable for other reasons, for example, there's a mandated price ceiling on the airline ticket, which does not allow the airline to recover its costs.


After relooking at the question, I also came to answer A. I got your point, but the answer in the source doesnt match with our answer A. I will reveal answer in some time. Please come with correct answer with proper justification.
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 852
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 02:59
A for me.
_________________

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2009
Posts: 108
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 04:59
It's E for me.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 05:11
bkumars8 wrote:
It's E for me.

Correct... Reasoning please!!!!!!!
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 445
Location: Vagabond
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 41

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 05:43
Pundits Reasoning - There is no reason to comply with their recommendation (to use the airline’s service more frequently), since just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.

Ans is E

OA pls

joshofnsit wrote:
Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town announces that because the service is unprofitable, it will discontinue this service next year. Town officials have urged the community to use the airline’s service more frequently so that the airline will change its decision. There is no reason to comply with their recommendation, however, for just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.
The Pundit’s reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it presumes, without providing justification, that
(A) Increasing the number of tickets sold without increasing ticket prices will be sufficient to make continued air service economically feasible.
(B) Suspending service and losing money by continuing service are the airline’s only options.
(C) The town officials paid for their trip with taxpayers’ money rather than their own money.
(D) Ground transportation is usually no less expensive than airplane transportation.
(E) If the town officials did not follow their own advice, then that advice is not worth following.

I took Weakening approach here.. Will let know the answer once explained here

_________________

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 06:53
snipertrader wrote:
Pundits Reasoning - There is no reason to comply with their recommendation (to use the airline’s service more frequently), since just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.

Ans is E

OA pls

joshofnsit wrote:
Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town announces that because the service is unprofitable, it will discontinue this service next year. Town officials have urged the community to use the airline’s service more frequently so that the airline will change its decision. There is no reason to comply with their recommendation, however, for just last week these same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying.
The Pundit’s reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it presumes, without providing justification, that
(A) Increasing the number of tickets sold without increasing ticket prices will be sufficient to make continued air service economically feasible.
(B) Suspending service and losing money by continuing service are the airline’s only options.
(C) The town officials paid for their trip with taxpayers’ money rather than their own money.
(D) Ground transportation is usually no less expensive than airplane transportation.
(E) If the town officials did not follow their own advice, then that advice is not worth following.

I took Weakening approach here.. Will let know the answer once explained here


E is the OA. I have now traced it to the root. Also, it is not a direct/normal WKN or assumption question. Rather it is flaw in reasoning types. Some more details about this flaw in argument can be found on ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1120
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 13:10
Expert's post
I don't understand why it would be E. Just because the official is hypocritical doesn't make the argument bad.
This is like saying "an official said that buying more fuel efficient vehicle will help you save gas, but last week the official just bought a fuel-guzzling Mercedes G-Wagon." Does him having a G Wagon have anything to do with the fact you will save gas?
Furthermore, the question did not specifically state that the announcement by the airline took place before last week. For all we know, the official could have drove before he know about the airline's plan.
The kind of reasoning of the OA would work well in politics, but it has nothing to do with logic.
By the way, where did you get that question from? Sometime prep books have bad questions.
_________________

Diversity

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 19:31
asimov wrote:
I don't understand why it would be E. Just because the official is hypocritical doesn't make the argument bad.
This is like saying "an official said that buying more fuel efficient vehicle will help you save gas, but last week the official just bought a fuel-guzzling Mercedes G-Wagon." Does him having a G Wagon have anything to do with the fact you will save gas?
Furthermore, the question did not specifically state that the announcement by the airline took place before last week. For all we know, the official could have drove before he know about the airline's plan.
The kind of reasoning of the OA would work well in politics, but it has nothing to do with logic.
By the way, where did you get that question from? Sometime prep books have bad questions.


Here is the analysis:
The Main/Primary conclusion here is "Dont follow/comply with their recommendation.. refer[1] "
The main premise here is "same officials drove to an out-of-town conference instead of flying"
Premise 1--> The only airline providing service for our town announces that because the service is unprofitable, it will discontinue this service next year.
Subconclusion/ Premise 2-->Town officials have urged the community to use the airline’s service more frequently so that the airline will change its decision.[1]

I completely agree that Premise1 and Subconclusion form a pair to form an argument, which also have its own assumption as specified in option selected by us in A and that also lacks an assumption. But we should disregard that on 2 grounds 1) it is not main conclusion where author of this paragraph is ultimately leading us to 2) the type of question it is i.e. "Flaw in the reasoning" and not straight weaken or assumption question. Here you are not told to identify the assumption or weakening loophole, rather the stem itself commits that there is some problem in the argument and then ask to give the FLAW in the argument.

The answer lies in the question stem.
The Pundit’s reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it presumes, without providing justification, that

As far as authenticity of question is concerned, please don't get worried. This is question from examination of LSAT, which has been an assumed source of logic for GMAT CR questions.
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 161
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 23:31
I also think the ans is E.Is it the correct ans?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 10:56
shrutisingh wrote:
I also think the ans is E.Is it the correct ans?

The OA is E.
_________________

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 02:47
IMO E.
A is the presumption of town officials' statement to use the airline more . Pundits argument is not to follow the town officials advice and that presumes E.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 213
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 03:57
another vote for A
_________________

"Always....Read between the lines"

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 805
Location: New Delhi
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 56

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 04:30
It should certainly be E.

Question is asking for the flaw in writer's argument (writer here is Pundit).

Breakup of Pundit's argument:
Evidence: Town officials have given suggestion, which they are not following themselves.
Conclusion: Since Town officials themselves are not following their suggestions, we should also not follow.

(A) Increasing the number of tickets sold without increasing ticket prices will be sufficient to make continued air service economically feasible. -Option talking about Town Officials' suggestion, not Pundit's argument
(B) Suspending service and losing money by continuing service are the airline’s only options. -Irrelevant
(C) The town officials paid for their trip with taxpayers’ money rather than their own money. -Irrelevant. No information has been given about this
(D) Ground transportation is usually no less expensive than airplane transportation. -Irrelevant. No information has been given about this
(E) If the town officials did not follow their own advice, then that advice is not worth following. -Correct option. This is what Pundit is concluding based on one incidence of Officials not following their own suggestion. There can always be some possible circumstances, due to which officials couldn't follow their own suggestions.
_________________

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 213
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 04:47
Oh.. i didn't read the text properly... that's stupid of me. :(
I agree with E.
_________________

"Always....Read between the lines"

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 805
Location: New Delhi
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 56

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 06:43
aknine wrote:
Oh.. i didn't read the text properly... that's stupid of me. :(
I agree with E.


:) It happens. I think option A has been placed intentionally, to make the question tricky.
If the question has asked to find a flaw in "Town Officers" argument, then certainly it would be option A.
_________________

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Re: Pundit: The only airline providing service   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2009, 06:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Town Councilor: The only reason for the town to have u0422811 17 13 Mar 2012, 20:10
1 Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town gmatjon 2 28 May 2010, 20:03
1 By providing such services as mortgages, home improvement lys8207 8 21 Jan 2010, 07:35
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has ronybtl 11 08 Nov 2005, 06:27
Our tomato soup provides good nutrition: for instance, a WinWinMBA 10 25 May 2005, 07:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Pundit: The only airline providing service for our town

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.