Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]
jeethm wrote:
Guys,

Purdue does not feature in FT 2016 Top 100 MBA rankings !!

Should we be worried ?

I would agree to the fact that rankings are in fact not the true indicator of a school's potential. Each ranking use different set of indicators to create the list. Since international's can't visit US/Europe schools, these ranking's are a major indicator to decide which programs to target. Also the truth is that Ad-Com's do target to improve their rankings by improving avg GMAT or increasing diversity etc.
I know friends studying at Purdue and it's a grim atmosphere there as the schools perception has been on the downward slide for the past few years.
PS: The perception of an international student will definitely change. Which will in-turn reflect on the quality of applying.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Really? I have friends in the FT MBA program right now and both of them said that they had to turn down interview opportunities because there were so many companies coming to recruit from Purdue. (they are first year students) Im sure it depends largely on what field you are looking to go into post MBA. My friends I spoke with are both going into Marketing, but I would assume if you were trying to get into one of the big consulting companies then Purdue's reputation "slipping" might be more worry some for you. At any rate I don't think that companies are looking at the Financial times rankings and saying "hmmm well purdue is not listed on here this year so we won't hire anybody from Purdue"

Admittedly going to the right school can open doors, but who you are and what value you can add as an employee is much more important in getting a job than what school you went to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bbednar wrote:
Really? I have friends in the FT MBA program right now and both of them said that they had to turn down interview opportunities because there were so many companies coming to recruit from Purdue. (they are first year students) Im sure it depends largely on what field you are looking to go into post MBA. My friends I spoke with are both going into Marketing, but I would assume if you were trying to get into one of the big consulting companies then Purdue's reputation "slipping" might be more worry some for you. At any rate I don't think that companies are looking at the Financial times rankings and saying "hmmm well purdue is not listed on here this year so we won't hire anybody from Purdue"

Admittedly going to the right school can open doors, but who you are and what value you can add as an employee is much more important in getting a job than what school you went to.

I completely agree with your reasoning.

However, we need opportunities in order to be noticed by employers.

International students do not have as much time and resources to do it on their own completely. They rely largely on the institutes ability to attract employers.

I hope what you say is right i.e employers would not "act" on these rankings, otherwise it will become a strict deterrent for International Students, who decide to apply in great part looking at these rankings
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jeethm wrote:
bbednar wrote:

I completely agree with your reasoning.

However, we need opportunities in order to be noticed by employers.

International students do not have as much time and resources to do it on their own completely. They rely largely on the institutes ability to attract employers.

I hope what you say is right i.e employers would not "act" on these rankings, otherwise it will become a strict deterrent for International Students, who decide to apply in great part looking at these rankings

Wise words. I guess it is important for any student to consider more than one set of rankings, as they all vary.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Location of your MBA program is much important than ranking of that program. In my opinion MBA schools located in commercial cities such as New York, Chicago, San Jose etc can offer you better jobs and internship opportunities than MBA school in cities focused on non commercial activities. Companies from New York rarely come to Washington, D.C to recruit international student. Thus, do not stick only to ranking. Location is the most most important factor that can help get job later.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
jeethm wrote:
Guys,

Purdue does not feature in FT 2016 Top 100 MBA rankings !!

Should we be worried ?

Generally, Do not pay attention much to rankings. FT is global ranking in which you can certainly find business schools better than some American schools. Purdue is famous for operations and supply chain. However, pay attention to the school performance. Along the past four years, there were less student enrolled in the full time MBA for the following year. In the same time, the job opportunities for international students is not good. review the last employment report. Although the class is small, the percentage is too low 81% as total rate. I do not pay high attention to internships as those are bounded by summer time and most schools secure 100% internships for its students.

https://www.krannert.purdue.edu/masters ... a/home.asp
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply

This discussion has been closed due to inactivity. Please start a new topic in the Business School Applications Forum if you have a similar question or a comment.

Thank you,
GMAT Club Moderator Team.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts