Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [75]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [37]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [26]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
Re: Push for greater integration of global economy is not, like earlier [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
Daeny wrote:
Push for greater integration of global economy is not, like earlier, guided by complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, but the practical matters of business: cost savings and efficiency.

A. not, like earlier, guided by complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, but the practical matters of business
B. being guided by the practical matters of business, instead of complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, as it has been earlier
C. guided not by complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, as earlier, but by the practical matters of business
D. guided by the practical matters of business, not complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, which was the case earlier
E. guided not by complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity, as has been the case earlier, but by the practical matters of business

I am responding to a pm by Capricorn369. Also, it appears this is an MGMAT question: it would be helpful for Daeny to name the source in the head post of this thread.

The confusion between (C) and (E) seems the issue here.

Grammar Point --- one mistake the GMAT loves to nail is the structure: "[subordinate conjunction] + [not a full clause]" --- a full clause must have its own noun and its own verb. See these blog posts for more on this mistake:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... b-mistake/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/participle ... -the-gmat/

The phrase "as earlier" falls into this category ---- "earlier" is an adverb that implies a much larger idea, and while in colloquial speech, it would be fine to replace that larger idea with the single word "earlier", that doesn't fly on the GMAT. Thus, "as earlier" is incorrect, but the full phrase "as has been the case earlier" is correct. The subject is implied, as we can do in comparisons, but there's a full verb, which means this is a full clause.

That's the only meaningful difference I see between (C) and (E). That means (C) is wrong and (E) is correct.

I will just add --- both (C) and (E) correct the mistake found in (A) & (B) & (D) --- proper use of the common words in a parallel structure. See this blog for more on that idea:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/common-par ... orrection/

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Thanks Mike.....both the posts are really great. I was not aware about the rule.

Just one more question, is the usage of has is right? Should we not use was as mentioned by dagh in his comment.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Re: Push for greater integration of global economy is not, like earlier [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vivekdixit07 wrote:
Thanks Mike.....both the posts are really great. I was not aware about the rule.

Just one more question, is the usage of has is right? Should we not use was as mentioned by dagh in his comment.

OK, am trying to make sense of your question. When you are asking about word choices, especially simple verbs like "has" and "was", please please please use quote marks for clarity. I believe what you were asking was:

Just one more question, is the usage of "has" right? Should we not use "was" as mentioned by dagh in his comment.

If this indeed is your question, then I would say: we have here a distinction of tense. The simple past tense ("was") connotes something that occurred at some point in the past (either a fixed point or an ongoing process), but which is definitely finished by the present time. The present perfect ("has been") connote past activity that continues, possibly even into the present moment. See this blog for the present progressive:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verb- ... ct-tenses/

Which tense is correct here? Well, that's not crystal clear. The prompt doesn't contain a verb at all --- often if there's an ambiguity like this on the GMAT SC, one would default to the way the prompt went, but we can't do that here. The question is really --- are the "complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity" over and done, a thing of the past, no longer guiding us at all? or, are these questions still lingering, no longer the most important determinants of the global economy, but still playing into how we see things? That's far from a clear-cut question. I could easy imagine long intelligent arguments justifying either position. In general, you don't have to go down philosophical rabbit-holes to answer SC on the GMAT. The short answer is: if there's an intelligent argument to be made either way, then both tenses are fine. The GMAT will not ask you to make a choice like "was" vs. "has been" in a context in which they are not giving you obvious clues about that choice.

By contrast, the mistake pattern [subordinate conjunction] + [incomplete clause] is one of their favorites, because it's so common in colloquial speech ----
"although tired, he..."
"after running out of things to say, I ..."
"while driving, he would ..."
All probably sound perfectly normal, but all are dead-wrong on the GMAT SC.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
vivekdixit07 wrote:

OK, am trying to make sense of your question. When you are asking about word choices, especially simple verbs like "has" and "was", please please please use quote marks for clarity. I believe what you were asking was:

Just one more question, is the usage of "has" right? Should we not use "was" as mentioned by dagh in his comment.

If this indeed is your question, then I would say: we have here a distinction of tense. The simple past tense ("was") connotes something that occurred at some point in the past (either a fixed point or an ongoing process), but which is definitely finished by the present time. The present perfect ("has been") connote past activity that continues, possibly even into the present moment. See this blog for the present progressive:

Which tense is correct here? Well, that's not crystal clear. The prompt doesn't contain a verb at all --- often if there's an ambiguity like this on the GMAT SC, one would default to the way the prompt went, but we can't do that here. The question is really --- are the "complicated philosophical questions about the global fraternity" over and done, a thing of the past, no longer guiding us at all? or, are these questions still lingering, no longer the most important determinants of the global economy, but still playing into how we see things? That's far from a clear-cut question. I could easy imagine long intelligent arguments justifying either position. In general, you don't have to go down philosophical rabbit-holes to answer SC on the GMAT. The short answer is: if there's an intelligent argument to be made either way, then both tenses are fine. The GMAT will not ask you to make a choice like "was" vs. "has been" in a context in which they are not giving you obvious clues about that choice.

By contrast, the mistake pattern [subordinate conjunction] + [incomplete clause] is one of their favorites, because it's so common in colloquial speech ----
"although tired, he..."

Hi Mike
can you please explain why the use of while+ participle is correct in choice b? The question is from GMAT prep. Choice b uses a subordinating conjunction without a subject and a verb.

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

a. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
b. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
c. while they have introduced 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, and have
d. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
e. but at the same time introduce some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
zeeasl wrote:
Hi Mike
can you please explain why the use of while+ participle is correct in choice b? The question is from GMAT prep. Choice b uses a subordinating conjunction without a subject and a verb.

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

a. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
b. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
c. while they have introduced 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, and have
d. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
e. but at the same time introduce some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

Dear zeeasl,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

One way to think about this is the omitted words in parallelism. See the following post:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Of course, technically, the S+V of the main clause are not grammatically parallel to the S+V of the subordinate clause beginning with the word "while," but they have a logical relationship similar to the logic of parallelism (remember that parallelism is primarily a logical construction, and the grammar simply follows the logic). When the S+V inside the dependent clause is a pronoun referring to the main subject + a form of the verb "to be," then we can omit them, as we omit words in the second branch of parallelism. These omitted words are completely unambiguous in context.

1) ... while at the same time they have introduced ...
In this phrasing, there is no form of the verb "to be." This is perfectly correct grammatically, but a bit wordy.

2) ... while at the same time they were introducing...
We have changed the tense to the past progressive, which makes the phrase even wordier and more indirect, but now we have introduced a form of the verb "to be" as an auxiliary verb. Now we have a S+V pair that fits the pattern that we can omit.

3) ... while at the same time introducing...
Once we omit that S+V pair, we are left with this elegant version, which appears in the OA.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
zeeasl wrote:
Hi Mike

Dear zeeasl,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

One way to think about this is the omitted words in parallelism. See the following post:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Of course, technically, the S+V of the main clause are not grammatically parallel to the S+V of the subordinate clause beginning with the word "while," but they have a logical relationship similar to the logic of parallelism (remember that parallelism is primarily a logical construction, and the grammar simply follows the logic). When the S+V inside the dependent clause is a pronoun referring to the main subject + a form of the verb "to be," then we can omit them, as we omit words in the second branch of parallelism. These omitted words are completely unambiguous in context.

1) ... while at the same time they have introduced ...
In this phrasing, there is no form of the verb "to be." This is perfectly correct grammatically, but a bit wordy.

2) ... while at the same time they were introducing...
We have changed the tense to the past progressive, which makes the phrase even wordier and more indirect, but now we have introduced a form of the verb "to be" as an auxiliary verb. Now we have a S+V pair that fits the pattern that we can omit.

3) ... while at the same time introducing...
Once we omit that S+V pair, we are left with this elegant version, which appears in the OA.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the response.But if we change the tense to past progressive, will not that change the meaning of the sentence? i mean the sentence talks about something that started in the past and is still true. Should't the omitted part in 2 above be while at the same time they have been introducing chemicals ....?

Also what is wrong with choice D?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
vivekdixit07 wrote:

"although tired, he..."

Hi mike

Ron from mgmat seems to differ from what you saying in this post. According to him, although can be used with fragments. here is the link to one of his posts.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t7544.html

Also according to you, we dont need to repeat the the same verb and subject in the second part of the parallel structures. Then how these sentences that you worte above are wrong.

"although tired, he..."

The above sentences look just a short version of the following.

Although he was tired, he did.....
After I ran out of things to say, I did that

Can you please elaborate it in more detail.

Many thanks

Z
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]