Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Put admissions/acceptance into MBA program on resume?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Put admissions/acceptance into MBA program on resume? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 21:41
I've been accepted into a top tier MBA program and have already committed to matriculate in 2011. My current employer pays a paltry $5k/yr for graduate studies, and I plan to start job hunting for a company whose more willing to invest in their employee's future.

My first question is how realistic is it for a company to be willing to pay more than $5/yr for an MBA program these days? I also realize a lot of places will only contribute after you've been on for over a year, but how amenable have companies been to negotiating the cost of continuing education during the hiring process in recent history? And finally, should the acceptance into a tier 1 MBA program be on my resume at this point in time?

I've heard different opinions on this, and was hoping to get more perspective on the matter.
Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Put admissions/acceptance into MBA program on resume? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 15:47
I assume you are talking about a PT program...I dont think any company is going take you on if you are FT guy. If you are doing PT I dont think it is going to help you get a job these days, it would probably hurt your chances as many companies are trying to minimize costs. Once you start you just put it on your resume under education field. You haven't started yet so it doesn't really count as you being a student until day 1 of classes.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Put admissions/acceptance into MBA program on resume? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 17:59
sorry, a bit off topic... would you put in your linkedin status/description that you've been admitted to an MBA program?

I'm in a competitive industry and almost every week a headhunter contacts me in Linkedin. Perhaps my MBA plans will stop them to spam me.

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Put admissions/acceptance into MBA program on resume? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 10:47
iakh wrote:
My first question is how realistic is it for a company to be willing to pay more than $5/yr for an MBA program these days?

So if I am understanding your situation correctly:
1) You got into an MBA program
2) It's PT MBA program
3) You want your employer to pick up portion of the cost and your current employer only picks up $5k every yr
4) You want to find a new job with a new employer if that new employer will pick up more of the education cost

Well here's the thing:
1) Do other employers pick up more than $5k? Yes. A CPG (based in NYC) that a fellow MBA student interned with, picks up $10k per yr. But a lot of companies either eliminated similar program or pick up about $5k/yr (just like your employer). When economy goes south, perks get reduced - nothing new.

2) Is it a good idea to change your job so a new employer can pick up more of the cost? Ehh, in many cases - not really. A lot of companies force you to accumulate at least one yr with them before they will let you use perks like the education reimbursement program. So before you take that leap, find out if your new employer has such restriction.

(Actually if you do think about it - asuming that your new employer will pick up $10k/yr - you should take that leap because typically, PT MBA students complete their degrees in 3-4 yrs. Even if your new employer fails to pick up any expense in the first yr, they will pick up twice as much as your current employer, and in the end, you will be better off)

Quote:
sorry, a bit off topic... would you put in your linkedin status/description that you've been admitted to an MBA program?

I'm in a competitive industry and almost every week a headhunter contacts me in Linkedin. Perhaps my MBA plans will stop them to spam me.

Can you do it? Sure. Plenty of people do. (Is that ethical? Depends on who you ask. I am with river that you are technically not an MBA student until you start the program but a lot of people put that stuff on their resume before starting school for various reasons) They usually put in something like "MBA Candidate" or similar with expected year of graduation next to the description.

Will it stop headhunters? Nope. They will bug you because headhunters don't work for you. They work for the hiring companies. They like to "keep in touch" and will bug you even when you are in bschool.

Re: Put admissions/acceptance into MBA program on resume?   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2011, 10:47