Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Put your helmets on...incoming bomb. [#permalink]
If the highest you scored on any practice test is s 680 - I personally would have rescheduled the test for a later date since you're aiming for at least 680.

But, looking forward, I think what you probably haven't been doing, and need to, is go through a basic gmat math/quant book and learn the concepts - not just do the practice problem.

Then, after you've thoroughly studied all the concepts, start doing practice problems, and keep an error log of what you've missed and why/what concepts.

It shouldn't bee too hard to improve your quant to at least a 40 in a month.
It may help to have a friend who has a solid math background assist you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
I find that the logic needed to do well on one section is the same that is needed for the other. If you can get a 44 in verbal, you can get over 80th percentile in the quant.

I would ignore verbal at this point, except for very short refreshers every week to stay sharp. If you’re a native speaker, you won’t forget or regress. In fact, often your score goes up when you leave verbal alone, since your focus increases when your fresh (and your level of focus usually means as much as or more than your level of practice.) I scored a 46v with zero practice the month before.

Based on the disparity between your scores, I am guessing you are weak in the basics of quant, and are thus unable to even get to the point where your strong reasoning ability comes into play in the test. The only remedy is, as said in above posts, to get the basics down cold. Spend your first week or two solving all sorts of equations until you are extremely comfortable. Be sure you fully understand the finer points of fractions, exponents and solving systems of linear equations. The gmat will test these skills all the time. Knowing percents and ratios really well is also very important (they are easy; the gmat tests them often.)

When you have algebra under control, do every quant problem in the OG. Log those questions you get wrong or have trouble with and study them to death. I made a list of about 100 OG PS / DS questions that I struggled on, and I constantly re-did them. I probably answered each question on my list 5 or 6 times. This was more helpful than anything else.

If you can give yourself two months, that would be great. That gives you 2 weeks of algebra, 5 weeks of OG and one week off. After week 4, start doing the qant section on a few CATs to learn timing and good guessing habits (mgmat quant CATs are great for this). You'll need to take a few days off every so often, too... that's very important. Mental freshness is key in learning and in testing.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Take a look at this link. This is a professor at Lamar University in Texas. Basically he has written a 354 page book on College Algebra (calls it the class notes). You can download it in PDF format. It's absolutely awesome. He gives explanations, demonstrations and then quiz problems with great explanations. Browse it over and look at the concepts you've seen on the GMAT prep tests and learn those. I don't think he has anything for geometry which you'll definitely want to go over. Some of those questions can be trick, especially triangles (maybe I'm speaking just for myself).

https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/download.aspx

PS - Check out his "cheat sheet" section. How awesome is it that a college professor creates a 4-page long Algebra cheat sheet? This guy is my quant hero (sorry Walker, you got replaced!)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Wow, thank you everyone for such great feedback. I dove back in, head first tonight. Im going to begin by reaffirming the basics to ensure that Im building on the proper fundamentals. Then hopefully as I work a few times through the sources you suggested, I will be able to target exactly where I am weak, and correct any previous deficiencies. I really appreciate everyone's insight, and I look forward to reaching out more as I work towards 700. Thank you!!

-ps- by all means feel free to continue offering suggestions on this thread, I am always looking for help! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts