Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Putting together your info for your recommenders...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Putting together your info for your recommenders... [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 19:24
Ok, I remember reading a great post awhile back by someone who included a sample request letter to her recommenders, and tips on what else to include to help them illustrate your qualities.

I can't seem to find this post anymore! I believe it was posted by a female. Can someone please link me to that post? Thanks a mil!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 19:28
Not sure what that post was, but just my two cents: Write a rough draft for your recommenders. Literally spend a couple weeks crafting great recommendation letters exactly as you would like them to write it, then say to them, "I put together a draft just to give you an idea of what the schools are looking for, if you want to pull some ideas from this rough draft by all means feel free."

Some people might think this is unethical. Maybe it is, but a lot of people do it, so that makes it okay.

One other thing: You will hear horror stories about recommenders who don't get the recs done on time, or don't put any time into the rec. And you will think to yourself, "Not my recs, I know these people really well and they really like me, there's no way they will mess this up."

But somehow, even great people turn into complete a-hols when it comes to writing recommendations, and they'll put it off way too long and totally infuriate you. So I would also recommend telling your recommenders that the letters are due a couple weeks before they actually are due.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 17:33
I think that providing any written sample to a recommender is highly unethical. It would certainly be a good idea to talk with them about your stats and background to make sure they have them correct, as well as your future plans after business school. While johnny9 has a point about many people doing it, I don't think that makes it remotely permissible. I'd rather do it the right way, and know I was honest, than cheat and get bumped up to a better schoool.

Everyone's going to make their own choice though. He's spot on about the timing issues though.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 18:46
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=41976

It was me! I saw your PM; here's the link to the guide. It lives under the "new here? read this first" announcement.

It wasn't so much a letter as it was a guide to how to do this. Pretty much cribbed (as in copied from, not as in complaining as our Indian mba brethren put it) from Montauk's chapter on the same.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 19:36
09App wrote:
I think that providing any written sample to a recommender is highly unethical. It would certainly be a good idea to talk with them about your stats and background to make sure they have them correct, as well as your future plans after business school. While johnny9 has a point about many people doing it, I don't think that makes it remotely permissible. I'd rather do it the right way, and know I was honest, than cheat and get bumped up to a better schoool.

Everyone's going to make their own choice though. He's spot on about the timing issues though.

I dont think its unethical. Its not like you write your own rec, you just show them the kinds of things that need to be in it. If you get asked to do something at work and you go google a few examples to see what you need to do, you are not cheating, your just doing due diligence. Similarly, if you are working on a team with someone and you suspect someone is going to struggle with something, you don't just let them flail, you guide them in the right direction. I dont see this as being any different - so long as you dont actually write your own actual recommendation.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 19:50
That's totally cool if that's your opinion that it's highly unethical.

I view it as going like five or ten miles per hour over the speed limit, something that 90% of people do. I don't think it's right, but I don't lose sleep over it if I do it.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 04:56
Everyone's going to act by their own standards, so I didn't mean to criticize anyone in my previous post. I'd even agree with Rhyme, in that you can talk about what topics to cover, etc. I just think it goes past a point once you write a draft for them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 05:02
johnnyx9 wrote:
That's totally cool if that's your opinion that it's highly unethical.

I view it as going like five or ten miles per hour over the speed limit, something that 90% of people do. I don't think it's right, but I don't lose sleep over it if I do it.

lol, nice analogy.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 13:15
aaudetat wrote:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=41976

It was me! I saw your PM; here's the link to the guide. It lives under the "new here? read this first" announcement.

It wasn't so much a letter as it was a guide to how to do this. Pretty much cribbed (as in copied from, not as in complaining as our Indian mba brethren put it) from Montauk's chapter on the same.

Yay! Thanks Aaudetat! :)
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 19:36
09App wrote:

i know. i was surprised my teacher asked me to make a draft for him!! yea!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2007, 20:04
Check your ethics at the door. You'll do better.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 03:04
Quote:
Some people might think this is unethical. Maybe it is, but a lot of people do it, so that makes it okay.

This is my favourite GMATclub quote ever. For every versioning like Johnny provided Rhyme upthread, there is at least one that makes terrifying reading.
  [#permalink] 30 Mar 2007, 03:04