Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pythagorean assumptions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pythagorean assumptions [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 09:23
Hey guys,

I have a few triangle issues that keep coming up on my studying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) If I am given a right triangle and given that the hypoteneuse is 5, can I assume that the other sides are 3 and 4 by assuming that it is a Pythagorean triple?. I know that if it is the reverse, and I am given 3 and 4 as sides and I know it is a right triangle, I can assume the hypoteneuse is 5... but I make the assumption given the reverse order of information?

2) If I am given the sides 3 and 4 of a triangle that LOOKS LIKE it has a right triangle, and I need to find the hypotenuese side, can I assume that the hypoteneuse is 5 even if it doesn't say explicitly anything about it having a right angle?

3) Also, are there any Pythagorean triples (2/4/5 - 6/8/10, etc) where I can assume it is a 30-60-90 triangle?

On DS especially, I seem to make a lot of assumptions that prove incorrect (e.g. that I can find a side of a triangle with the info given, when I really cannot), and I just want to make sure I have my rules correct.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pythagorean assumptions [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 09:30
cs77 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a few triangle issues that keep coming up on my studying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) If I am given a right triangle and given that the hypoteneuse is 5, can I assume that the other sides are 3 and 4 by assuming that it is a Pythagorean triple?. I know that if it is the reverse, and I am given 3 and 4 as sides and I know it is a right triangle, I can assume the hypoteneuse is 5... but I make the assumption given the reverse order of information?

Of course, no, because there are a lot of other triangles with sides such as (5/sqrt(2), 5/sqrt(2), 5) which have right angle.

cs77 wrote:

2) If I am given the sides 3 and 4 of a triangle that LOOKS LIKE it has a right triangle, and I need to find the hypotenuese side, can I assume that the hypoteneuse is 5 even if it doesn't say explicitly anything about it having a right angle?

No, unless it is said that the triangle IS right.

cs77 wrote:

3) Also, are there any Pythagorean triples (2/4/5 - 6/8/10, etc) where I can assume it is a 30-60-90 triangle?

No, because triangle with angles 30-60-90 has one side of irrational length(which is not rational, not a fraction of m/n, where m,n - are integers).

cs77 wrote:

On DS especially, I seem to make a lot of assumptions that prove incorrect (e.g. that I can find a side of a triangle with the info given, when I really cannot), and I just want to make sure I have my rules correct.

Thanks in advance!

OK. I think I clarified it well enough.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 13:41
Thanks very much Emmanuel for clarifying. I have missed a handful of questions because I was confused on what I could assume and what I couldn't. Thks!
  [#permalink] 28 Jun 2004, 13:41