Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

q 2 non native speakers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

q 2 non native speakers [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 07:31
Plz, tell me, how do u compensate the lack of words u know?

It's possible to learn the grammer, rules, idioms and etc in a short period of time. And that's enough for sc questions i think.

But for other types of questions u need to understand the meaning of the sentence, what is often impossible whiout knowing the meaning of some words, which u usually dont use.

And it's hard to guess which u'll need, so u cant even construct the list of such words to learn them.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 09:57
The GMAT does not contain complex vocabularies that would stump readers. Most long passages are easy to deduce if you pay attention to the tones when you read them, even if you don't understand 1-2 words. When time is not a constrain, most people do get the answers correct for the reading comprehesion passages. The advice would be to read formal publications as much as possible to train yourself to not get flustered when reading a long passage. As for sentence corrections, they don't usually contain complex vocabularies.

This is not an intended insult, but it would help if you change your mentallity first by stop using slangs and spell out words. Your extensive use of abbreviation mislead people into thinking that you are not serious about putting your full effort into doing things correctly.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 11:21
gmatnub Thanks for advice. I didn't think that such a thing would be a problem for me in the tests. But when i began to work with Princeton guide i was confused. Here is the sample.

"Standardized tests are a tremendous burden on all prospective graduate students, but they are necessary control by which all candidates are judged equally." It's a quote from Princeton's guide.

Imagine you don't know the meaning of "tremendous burden" (i didn't know). So you have to guess the possible meanings. And you will find several meanings close to each other, but slight different. For example:
1. They are not fair because they don't show the real compitance of the concrete person.
2. They are too complex. (What is not the same to "tremendous burden", but only implies that statment).
etc.

That was an AWA task(or it could be CR question), and in that case such things begin to play a big role.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 11:37
Hi,

If you read the statement, you can deduce that the phrase "tremendous burden" has a negative connotation.

Anyway, you can study the vocabularies from the GRE tests. Other than that, it is hard to give any useful advive regarding quick strategies since I personally think that "tremendous burden" are common words.

You should put serious effort into building up your vocabulary set because you will need it not just for the GMAT, but it will much more helpful when communicating your ideas with your peers/clients.
  [#permalink] 04 Oct 2007, 11:37