Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Q: 720: Retake to get off the waitlist? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi cosmopolitan,

MIT Sloan is a remarkably competitive School to get into, so the fact that you've been wait-listed isn't actually 'bad news' (getting a rejection is letter IS what constitutes 'bad news'). Many of the Round 1 applicants get 'wait-listed', since Business Schools always make sure to keep 'spots' open in the latter Rounds (in the event that some truly spectacular applicants show up late) and a large pool of 'wait-listed' applicants gives the Schools more room to choose a diverse group of applicants for the incoming class.

If you're looking for specific advice on how best to deal with Sloan, then you might consider talking with an Admissions Expert (there's a whole Forum full of them on this site). In theory, you could contact the School and ask for an interview. Assuming that you could properly present yourself in person (through Skype or to a local Alum), then that might help your case. If the Sloan Admissions Officers are truly interested in you though, then they'll likely reach out and schedule an interview at some point.

Don't get discouraged by how this whole process occurs - only a small percentage of applicants are "automatic yeses' when it comes to admissions acceptance. Most applicants, even though they're all likely highly qualified, get wait-listed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
cosmopolitan wrote:
I've been wait listed at my favorite school and am thinking of starting to study for the GMAT again.
Scored a 720 (Q49, V41) in December 2013 and wonder:

- Will a 740 help me get me off the waitlist? Aiming to increase my Q-score to 50 (didn't study probabilities enough, last time around)
- Given that it's been a year, have you seen success stories of others increasing their score by 20 points a year later? I'd take the test around Mid-March, before R2 decisions are released
- I would be mainly retaking to show strong quantitative ability. Would a focus on the other three parts of the test still be necessary?

A 20 point increase will have no effect on your app other than showing that you really are interested in the school. If you are able to get a 780+, there might be some advantage because of the 'wow factor'!
Frankly, you really shouldn't worry about your GMAT score. It's quite decent. Get in touch with the adcom and try to get some feedback. Decide what you do next depending on that.
GMAT Club Bot