Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q. Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 14

Q. Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (02:29) correct 66% (01:25) wrong based on 207 sessions
Q. Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

A) that they can appeal to when their cases are

B) to which to appeal after their cases have been

C) for appealing if their case has been

D) to which they can appeal if their case is

E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been

Please let me know why the answer is what it is. I am not clear on the reasons. :?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

---Winners do it differently---

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1543 [3] , given: 248

Re: Good SC Q with multiple things tested [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 19:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A) that they can appeal to when their cases are – that they can appeal is unidiomatic; secondly use of ‘when’ is inappropriate in that it implies a specific point of time of deciding in the lower courts; use of ‘are’ is wrong since the appeal happens after the lower courts have decided the cases

B) to which to appeal after their cases have been – ‘after’ and ‘have been’ are correct usages; correct choice.

C) for appealing if their case has been – ‘their case’ means that all the plaintiffs are collaborating one single case

D) to which they can appeal if their case is – same as in C

E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been – can cases appeal by themselves – distorted meaning

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC Q with multiple things tested [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 13:12
i answered A :(
A re-look at the options and having known that the OA is B :) makes me say that the tense plays a major factor in choosing the right answer.
I ruled out E as 'cases can't appeal'
There is a 2-3 split in terms of tense (is/are vs has been/have been). i can't get further than this ..
Experts- please help
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Re: Good SC Q with multiple things tested [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 13:42
The tense matter struck me... "have been" i.e perfect tense is required here as the flow of events suggest 2 events earlier of which is "deciding of the cases in lower court" and hence, perfect tense for the one happening earlier.. but still the tense error did not strike me while attempting it for the first time.. any catch for such questions?

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 641 [0], given: 6

Re: Good SC Q with multiple things tested [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 19:06
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
RohitKalla wrote:
Q. Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

A) that they can appeal to when their cases are

B) to which to appeal after their cases have been

C) for appealing if their case has been

D) to which they can appeal if their case is

E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been

Please let me know why the answer is what it is. I am not clear on the reasons. :?

The word "that" isn't necessary here. The idiomatic structure "court that they can appeal to" is not preferred on the GMAT. But more telling is the last word in (A): "are" --present tense. You need to present the sentence in such a way that it's clear decisions are made in the lower courts and then afterwards there's some possibility of appeal with higher courts that is suggested in the sentence.

I wasn't so hot on "that" but I did like "to which" in answers (B) and (D).

I actually did not even read the first half of the sentence. I only started reading from the comma:
"plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts."

Between (B) and (D)---(B) uses "have been" while (D) uses "is"---not what we want.

So (B) is what we want. It correctly uses "to which" and also correctly uses "have been."

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC Q with multiple things tested [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 19:53
RohitKalla wrote:
The tense matter struck me... "have been" i.e perfect tense is required here as the flow of events suggest 2 events earlier of which is "deciding of the cases in lower court" and hence, perfect tense for the one happening earlier.. but still the tense error did not strike me while attempting it for the first time.. any catch for such questions?

Do you split youur answer choices? If you do, you will see options are divided into ending with is, are or have been. then the tense matter would strike, since you have to decide between these..
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC Q with multiple things tested [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 23:20
Thanks Zeke and Daagh for the explanations, but i have not understood why C is wrong. What if the plaintiffs are indeed collaborating on a single case (absurd but when i answered the question, i only looked at the S-V agreement of 'case' and 'has'),in which case 'C' can also be correct or does it distort the author's intended meaning?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Re: Good SC Q with multiple things tested [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 03:38
Thanks Daagg and Vivesomnium. Yeah i do split my choices.. Now am wondering what was i doin with my brain while attempting this quest :P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC Q with multiple things tested [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 10:45
Nice question this...

Here is a completely different approach to this problem:

First -- Understand the meaning of the sentence -- What is the author saying? -- The Supreme Court has made some rulings that are not very favorable to the plaintiffs. So the plaintiffs feel that they may not be able to appeal to a higher court.

So which of these choices actually conveys this information properly?

Only Choice B -- why? The key is to understand the meaning of the sentence -- the keyword is "after" --- when do you appeal to a higher court?? -- You appeal to a higher court "after" your case has been decided unfavorably in a lower court.

SC can be tackled without getting bogged down by tenses, voices, tones etc.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good SC Q with multiple things tested [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 11:34
daagh wrote:
A) that they can appeal to when their cases are – that they can appeal is unidiomatic; secondly use of ‘when’ is inappropriate in that it implies a specific point of time of deciding in the lower courts; use of ‘are’ is wrong since the appeal happens after the lower courts have decided the cases

B) to which to appeal after their cases have been – ‘after’ and ‘have been’ are correct usages; correct choice.

C) for appealing if their case has been – ‘their case’ means that all the plaintiffs are collaborating one single case

D) to which they can appeal if their case is – same as in C

E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been – can cases appeal by themselves – distorted meaning

Great explanation daagh for dumb people like me....... :) :) :( :(

WarLocK

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 291

Re: Q. Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 18:52
D is out because case is singular and we need cases for the sentence to make sense. Hence (B)
Re: Q. Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2013, 18:52