Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 11:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q. Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Q. Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 07:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:43) correct 29% (00:47) wrong based on 108 sessions
Q. Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe pr oblem is in need of a drastically reformed system of industrial waste disposal.

(A) which has pollution as a severe problem is
(B) where the pollution problem has become severe is
(C) where the pollution problem has become severe are
(D) in an area in which the pollution problem has become severe are
(E) in which the pollution problem has become severe are

The official answer is given as B. I've studied that relative pronoun "where" is mostly used to represent specific place but here "Each of factory towns" is not a specific place. Please let me know what all are exceptions to this rule?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 09:40
dineesha wrote:
I've studied that relative pronoun "where" is mostly used to represent specific place but here "Each of factory towns" is not a specific place. Please let me know what all are exceptions to this rule?

I believe "where" is used to modify a place. "Each of factory towns" is definitely a place. The sentence isn't talking about every factory town. It is referring to factory towns where there is pollution problem.

Also, please use the spoiler tag instead of putting the official answer in the open. :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Question [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 09:54
here where is referring to factory town

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [2] , given: 5

Re: Question [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
Got it right: B

(A) which has pollution as a severe problem is >> 'which' refers to towns (plural), so 'has' is wrong.
(B) where the pollution problem has become severe is >> correctly refers to 'towns'
(C) where the pollution problem has become severe are >> "each" is singular so 'are' is wrong
(D) in an area in which the pollution problem has become severe are >> wrong 'are'
(E) in which the pollution problem has become severe are >> wrong 'are'

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

VP
VP
Followers: 203

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Q. Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 10:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Q. Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 08:17
Can you please clarify how does "which" refer to plural? Or if the first option had " which have" then would it be the correct choice? Please reply. Thanks in advance
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 121

Premium Member CAT Tests
Q. Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 10:06
sri30kanth wrote:
Can you please clarify how does "which" refer to plural? Or if the first option had " which have" then would it be the correct choice? Please reply. Thanks in advance

Yes your analysis is correct.

If option A had had have instead of has then it would have been one strong contender to OA, but I would still prefer to use where rather than which because where suits to modify a place such as town.

Further, for your first question : Can you please clarify how does "which" refer to plural?
I would say this is one of the signature format of GMAT; some official questions were created to test this logic and further other prep companies also created their own versions. Refer following sentence.

Lake Michigan, one of the lakes that flow through United States, is the largest fresh water source.

... one of plural that verb(plural) ...
... one of plural, which verb(plural) ...

Refer this question and explanation as well :
twenty-two-feet-long-and-10-feet-in-diameter-the-am-1-is-12821-20.html#p1381818
Note it down in your error log.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Q. Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 07:45
Thanks a lot Piyush for the explanation. But I am still unable to internalize this plural usage. I have always thought that "Each of " and "One of" should be singular.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 121

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Q. Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 12:14
sri30kanth wrote:
Thanks a lot Piyush for the explanation. But I am still unable to internalize this plural usage. I have always thought that "Each of " and "One of" should be singular.

I think you are mixing two concepts. Refer following sentences.

Each of these shirts is nice. -- here subject is each ... so we used singular verb.
Each of these shirts, which were hanging on display, is nice. -- here relative pronoun which is referring to the shirts. Therefore, subject of relative clause is plural shirts and we need a plural verb inside relative clause. Further you can see main verb is still singular.

one of ... is special in this aspect as there is no exception to construction as recommended in my previous comment.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Q. Each of the factory towns which has pollution as a severe   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2014, 12:14