Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q) In broad thermodynamic terms, the distinction between

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Q) In broad thermodynamic terms, the distinction between [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 22:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

94% (02:07) correct 6% (06:12) wrong based on 48 sessions
Q) In broad thermodynamic terms, the distinction between solar energy and energy derived from fossil fuel is artificial.Fossil Fuel molecules represent the decayed reamins of plants.All of the energy these fossil fuels contain once resided in the sun and was , so to speak , trapped by plants here on Earth through the process of photosynthesis, whereupon it was housed,principally, within the carbohydrate molecules of which the plants were composed.The process of burning unleashes that energy , and when we run our lights ,factories , and automobiles by burning fossil fuels ........

Which of the following is the most logical completion of the passage above

A) We deplete our stores of an ever more precious resource .
B) We use energy that is , in fact,derived from the sun.
C) We spend the legacy left to us by our prehistoric ancestors .
D) We mimic the process of energy generation that exists in the sun .
E) We return to the sun that which originally resided there .

Please provide the answer with explanations.
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 32

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 00:50
IMO D.

The passage telling about processing of energy.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 02:18
Hi,

I think is should be B

Q) In broad thermodynamic terms, the distinction between solar energy and energy derived from fossil fuel is artificial.Fossil Fuel molecules represent the decayed reamins of plants.All of the energy these fossil fuels contain once resided in the sun and was , so to speak , trapped by plants here on Earth through the process of photosynthesis, whereupon it was housed,principally, within the carbohydrate molecules of which the plants were composed.The process of burning unleashes that energy , and when we run our lights ,factories , and automobiles by burning fossil fuels ........

Which of the following is the most logical completion of the passage above

A) We deplete our stores of an ever more precious resource . Irrelevant Information
B) We use energy that is , in fact,derived from the sun. Plants => use sun's energy => Fossils => Fuel => Humans Burn
C) We spend the legacy left to us by our prehistoric ancestors . Irrelevant Information
D) We mimic the process of energy generation that exists in the sun . No where in the passage is it mentioned how energy is generated in the sun
E) We return to the sun that which originally resided there . Irrelevant Information

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 04:19
Between B and D I will go with B.
Quote:
In broad thermodynamic terms, the distinction between solar energy and energy derived from fossil fuel is artificial

Here the difference between the two energy is being discussed and D refers to the process of energy generation, that's-why I think D is out of scope.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 19:47
B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 51

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 07:38
B is the solution .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
WE: Design (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 08:16
strongly feel, answere is d, since the passage is presenting a comparative study on 2 cycles...
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 09:44
I am also with D man.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 10:16
B for me aswell
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 21:38
Thanks everybody for the reply . I agree with B 100%.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 04:27
Well I am 99% sure that it's B because it is a logical conclusion for the paragraph. The topic of this paragraph is fossil fuel is the same solar energy. It goes through how solar energy is converted into fossil energy by plants. Which means releasing fossil energy = using solar energy. Therefore solar energy = fossil both these energy comes from/derives from the sun. Not D cause nothing about how the Sun creates or processes solar energy
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 15:42
Between B and D, it has to be B

THe process of burning unleashes energy, this means its about consuption of this eneregy.

B refers to use of energy, D refers to creation of energy.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 109

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 16:06
+1 B

Based only on the information provided, we don't know how the sun generates energy.

In addition, an engine of a car doesn't work like the fision and fusion processes in the sun. 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 01:39
IMO B,

Facts in the passage - "All of the energy these fossil fuels contain once resided in the sun and was.......trapped by plants here on Earth " ....."The process of burning unleashes that energy ".

Hence option B -We use energy that is , in fact,derived from the sun.
Option D is irrelevant as there is not information in the passage on the process of energy generation.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: Q39 V29
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 7

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 00:57
This post received
KUDOS
this is an inference question and of course there is a tie between B and D

B --> clearly , Plants use sun's energy => became Fossils => converted to Fuel => energy liberated by Humans Burn .. so finally suns energy is used in other ways

D --> No process regarding energy generation is explained.

so B is the correct answer

Press +1 Kudos rather than saying thanks
which is more helpful infact..

Ill be posting good questions as many as I can...

Towards Success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 31

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 02:36
Straight B as other options are just irrelevant.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference) [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 12:38
I picked B for the same reason as above but I could not find the OA to confirm it. Does any one know?
Re: Thermodynamic - Critical Reasoning(Inference)   [#permalink] 09 May 2012, 12:38