Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q: == Over a holiday weekend, a certain car dealer sold off

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Q: == Over a holiday weekend, a certain car dealer sold off [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 02:59
Q:
==
Over a holiday weekend, a certain car dealer sold off the cars on its lot. If the cars sold for an
average of $6,000 each, how many cars were on the dealer’s lot at the beginning of the weekend?
(1) The average value of the remaining cars on the lot is $5,000.
(2) The car dealer made $48,000 in car sales over the weekend.

ANSWER:
=======
B. Given statement (1) alone, we only know average values of both the cars that were sold and
the cars that remained; the dealer could have sold 4 cars and had 1 left, or sold 8 cars and had 2
left, or an infinite number of other options. So we can eliminate A and D.
With statement (2), we are able to find the number of cars sold by dividing the total sales by the
average price. 48,000/6,000 = 8, so the dealer sold 8 cars. Since that is 4/5
of the cars on the lot,
the dealer started off with 10 cars. Statement (2) is sufficient, so the answer is B.

I'm having a hard time try to understand where did they came out 4/5 just from (2)

anyone cared to explain it to me?

Thanks All
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can someone explain this to me? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 04:16
Hi, rapsodi,

Quote:
Over a holiday weekend, a certain car dealer sold off the cars on its lot. If the cars sold for an average of $6,000 each, how many cars were on the dealer’s lot at the beginning of the weekend?

It seems that this problem is incomplete. There should be an exact number of cars sold in the problem situation. Otherwise the explanation doesn't make sence.

BTW, what is the source of this question?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Can someone explain this to me? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 04:29
Thanks greenoak, for your fast reply

I thought I'm the only one whose having difficulties understanding the answer sheet.

its taken from McGraw Hill GMAT 2008 Edition page 21.

I hope you're right about it being incomplete.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can someone explain this to me? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 04:48
I think the answer choice should be C. From the second statement, we get number of cars sold as 8. From the first statement, we get the ratio of number of cars sold to number of cars remaining.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 680 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can someone explain this to me? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 05:29
Yes, the answer to the question, as posted, is certainly not B (it should be E). My only guess is that the question means to say:

"Over a holiday weekend, a certain car dealer sold 4/5 of the cars on its lot. If the cars sold for an average of $6,000 each, how many cars were on the dealer’s lot at the beginning of the weekend?"

But as it stands, there's no way to know how many cars are left at the end of the weekend.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Re: Can someone explain this to me?   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2008, 05:29