Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q: The rapid rise in the rate of home foreclosures is a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 974

GMAT Tests User
Q: The rapid rise in the rate of home foreclosures is a [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 01:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:12) correct 54% (01:04) wrong based on 26 sessions
Q: The rapid rise in the rate of home foreclosures is a serious economic problem; it will undoubtedly cost of the majority party votes in the coming election.
Z: I disagree. Statistics for the past 40 years show that there is no significant relationship between the prevailing level of foreclosures and political gains or losses by the party that happens to be in the majority at election time.

Which of the following most seriously weakens the force of Z’s counter arguments?

(A) Z fails to cite any actual figures
(B) Z’s decision to consider a time span of 40 years seems arbitrary
(C) Z relies on conventional criteria for the notion of a significant relationship
(D) Z’s statistics focus on level of foreclosures rather than direction of change
(E) Z assumes that there is no connection between economic and political trends
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Q versus Z [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
(A) Z fails to cite any actual figures - I should have understood the 40 is the actual figure.
(B) Z’s decision to consider a time span of 40 years seems arbitrary - incorrect. no issue with using 40 years
(C) Z relies on conventional criteria for the notion of a significant relationship - out of scope
(D) Z’s statistics focus on level of foreclosures rather than direction of change - the best. the stats focuses only on foreclosures does not help the impact it is causing.
(E) Z assumes that there is no connection between economic and political trends - he is assuming nothing here. IF he was assuming the sentence would read "Z thinks blah blah..."
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Q versus Z [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 11:10
+1 D 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Q versus Z [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 11:38
its D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 112

Re: Q versus Z [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 18:53
D !!
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Q versus Z [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 13:29
feruz77 wrote:
Q: The rapid rise in the rate of home foreclosures is a serious economic problem; it will undoubtedly cost of the majority party votes in the coming election.
Z: I disagree. Statistics for the past 40 years show that there is no significant relationship between the prevailing level of foreclosures and political gains or losses by the party that happens to be in the majority at election time.

Which of the following most seriously weakens the force of Z’s counter arguments?

(A) Z fails to cite any actual figures
(B) Z’s decision to consider a time span of 40 years seems arbitrary
(C) Z relies on conventional criteria for the notion of a significant relationship
(D) Z’s statistics focus on level of foreclosures rather than direction of change
(E) Z assumes that there is no connection between economic and political trends

A -- Z was talking about actual figures(stats) not the estimates... incorrect answer
B -- we can't say 40 years of history is arbitrary... so, wrong
C -- there is not types of criteria discussed in stimulus, so irrelevant.
E -- Z did not assume anything, Z just went by stats...
D -- probably Z did not think about all directions, just confined to foreclosures, so others aspects of home business may have an impact on elections.. so, can not eliminate..

we could eliminate all but D, so D is the one...

If you like my post, please press Kudos+1

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 18

Re: Q versus Z [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 19:38
amma4u wrote:
(A) Z fails to cite any actual figures - I should have understood the 40 is the actual figure.
(B) Z’s decision to consider a time span of 40 years seems arbitrary - incorrect. no issue with using 40 years
(C) Z relies on conventional criteria for the notion of a significant relationship - out of scope
(D) Z’s statistics focus on level of foreclosures rather than direction of change - the best. the stats focuses only on foreclosures does not help the impact it is causing.
(E) Z assumes that there is no connection between economic and political trends - he is assuming nothing here. IF he was assuming the sentence would read "Z thinks blah blah..."

Thanks amma4u, very nice explanation +1. Crystal clear. All the best for ur G.mat!

Spread some happiness..Press Kudos! :)

Re: Q versus Z   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2010, 19:38