Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Q. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 14:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

37% (02:22) correct 63% (01:19) wrong based on 166 sessions
Q. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one must have a net worth of over ten million dollars and must not have any connections to the entertainment industry. Robert Chase, the publishing magnate, has a net worth of 5 billion dollars and has been accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club.

Given the statements above, which one of the following conclusions must be true?

A. Chase’s membership was preapproved.
B. Chase does not know anyone who has connections to the entertainment industry.
C. Chase’s ex-business partner is a major concert promoter, has a net worth of 100 million dollars, and is a member of the Brown Country Club.
D. Chase’s brother, who has also petitioned for membership at Brown, has a net worth of 10 billion dollars and considers it beneath his dignity to associate with anyone in the entertainment industry. Hence, his petition will be accepted.
E. Chase has not financed any Hollywood movies.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 97

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me in understanding this question.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 14:25
This an inference question

1) if you vvant memebership --> vvroth > 10 billion
2) no connections to the entertainment industry.

Chase, has been accepted to the club

--> he has 5 billion $ and no connections to the entertainment industry.

E

nehadass wrote:
Q. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one must have a net worth of over ten million dollars and must not have any connections to the entertainment industry. Robert Chase, the publishing magnate, has a net worth of 5 billion dollars and has been accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club.

Given the statements above, which one of the following conclusions must be true?

B. Chase does not know anyone who has connections to the entertainment industry.
C. Chase’s ex-business partner is a major concert promoter, has a net worth of 100 million dollars, and is a member of the Brown Country Club.
D. Chase’s brother, who has also petitioned for membership at Brown, has a net worth of 10 billion dollars and considers it beneath his dignity to associate with anyone in the entertainment industry. Hence, his petition will be accepted.
Expert Post
Followers: 243

Kudos [?]: 2076 [0], given: 677

Re: Pls help me in understanding this question.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 14:35
Expert's post
nehadass wrote:

For me is not a good question. What is the source ??

back to the question by POE I would say E

A) nothing in the question tals about preapproved
B) Country club knows all members (note the word must)
C) ex business partner - who cares of ex
D) brother - who cares of his brother
E) right answer even though I can't figure out why properly?? The access criteria to the club are : $ AND no connection

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me in understanding this question.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 14:37
o ya i can totally bet this is not even relevant .. but yes structure is GMAT type I do remember a 300 level question of this format
Expert Post

Re: Pls help me in understanding this question.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 14:43
Expert's post
venmic wrote:
o ya i can totally bet this is not even relevant .. but yes structure is GMAT type I do remember a 300 level question of this format

Ok but about the two criteria: billion AND (= + is the meaning) no connection ??

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me in understanding this question.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 14:49
carcass wrote:
venmic wrote:

Ok but about the two criteria: billion AND (= + is the meaning) no connection ??

can you please explain your point ?
Expert Post

Re: Pls help me in understanding this question.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 14:56
Expert's post
from the stem you know that Chase is admitted to the club if have 10 > billion of $ and (PLUS) no connection to the entertainment industry

From E you can infer only the second point and the first one ??? he has only 5 billion of dollars so the answer should be formulated in another way.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me in understanding this question.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 15:07
Robert Chase, the publishing magnate, has a net worth of 5 billion dollars --- Premise
already has been has been accepted .. so implies he already fulfilled both the conditions
implies the second condition is inferred ...
Chase has not financed any Hollywood movies

nehadass wrote:

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pls help me in understanding this question.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 15:08
first is already given please reread the premise

carcass wrote:
from the stem you know that Chase is admitted to the club if have 10 > billion of $ and (PLUS) no connection to the entertainment industry

From E you can infer only the second point and the first one ??? he has only 5 billion of dollars so the answer should be formulated in another way.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 75

Re: Pls help me in understanding this question.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 16:53
nehadass wrote:

Brown County Club-Membership Requirements
i)Net worth > USD 10 mn
AND
ii)No connections to the entertainment industry

Chase satisfies the first conditions (Chase's net worth is USD 5 bn>the requirement ,USD 10 mn) The only thing which could have been possible that he had no link with entertainment industry,because hollywood film financing will give him link-ups with the entertainment industry.(E) wins.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Q. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 06:36
nehadass wrote:

Very good question. IMO you can narrow it pretty quickly, let's say around 30 seconds to B,D,E

Let's start with D. The fact that the brother considers it beneath his dignity to associate with someone from the E industry doesn't mean that the guy won't do it. Dignity is hard to find these days on ppl. So this is out.

Next one, this was hard. B. he does not know anyone who has connections to the E industry. Now wait, if he knows someone who has connections, then he is connected somehow right? This could be it.

Now let's take a look at E and see whats up with this one. Chase has not financed any Hollywood movies. This is going to be tough. So let's see he has not financed any Hollywood movies. This is probably true otherwise he would be connected. So this is 100% true. Definetely has to happen, and if it doesn't it will completely destroy the argument. So this is it.

Answer (E)

* Would be happy if someone explained B better. It was a close call. Maybe I'm missing something

Hope it helps!
Kudos if you liked it!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 32

Re: Q. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 22:06
jlgdr wrote:
nehadass wrote:

Very good question. IMO you can narrow it pretty quickly, let's say around 30 seconds to B,D,E

Let's start with D. The fact that the brother considers it beneath his dignity to associate with someone from the E industry doesn't mean that the guy won't do it. Dignity is hard to find these days on ppl. So this is out.

Next one, this was hard. B. he does not know anyone who has connections to the E industry. Now wait, if he knows someone who has connections, then he is connected somehow right? This could be it.

Now let's take a look at E and see whats up with this one. Chase has not financed any Hollywood movies. This is going to be tough. So let's see he has not financed any Hollywood movies. This is probably true otherwise he would be connected. So this is 100% true. Definetely has to happen, and if it doesn't it will completely destroy the argument. So this is it.

Answer (E)

* Would be happy if someone explained B better. It was a close call. Maybe I'm missing something

Hope it helps!
Kudos if you liked it!

I can try and explain why B is incorrect. Overall, your logic is correct. B just states that he knows someone that has connections but that does not necessarily mean he has the connection.
Lets use some equations to figure this out.

B has connection in the entertainment industry (E).
Robert Chase knows B.
Robert Chase does not necessarily has to be connected to E. He could or he could not.

So basically, we cannot conclude B for sure.
Hope this helps. :-D
Re: Q. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2013, 22:06