Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q1: A parking garage has places for a c ertain number of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Q1: A parking garage has places for a c ertain number of [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2006, 06:23
Q1: A parking garage has places for a c ertain number of cars. If 1/5 of the places are left empty, and 2/5 of the places are used by compact cars, non-compact cars take up what fraction of the filled spaces in the garage.

A) 1/3 B) 2/5 C) 1/2 D) 3/5 E) 4/5

I solved the question as follows:

4/5 of the places are not empty and 4/5-2/5 will give us the fraction non-compact cars i.e. 2/5. However the answer is 1/2. If i plug in, I get the right answer i.e. 1/2 but why cant I solve it using the above method?

Can somebody explain and solve the question with the ratios as done above without plugin in.

Q2 If p and q are integers, such that p<0<q, and s is a non negative integer, which of the following must be true?

A) p^2 < q^2 B) P + q = 0 C) sp < sq D) sp (is not =) sq E) p/q < s

I was getting multiple true statements. Please solve...
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Help needed on the following questions [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2006, 06:44
usman7 wrote:
Q1: A parking garage has places for a c ertain number of cars. If 1/5 of the places are left empty, and 2/5 of the places are used by compact cars, non-compact cars take up what fraction of the filled spaces in the garage.

4/5 of the places are not empty and 4/5-2/5 will give us the fraction non-compact cars i.e. 2/5. However the answer is 1/2. If i plug in, I get the right answer i.e. 1/2 but why cant I solve it using the above method?

Can somebody explain and solve the question with the ratios as done above without plugin in.

Q2 If p and q are integers, such that p<0<q, and s is a non negative integer, which of the following must be true?

I was getting multiple true statements. Please solve...

For qestion 1)
2/5 are used by non compact cars

the garage is filled up to 4/5 it capacity

So 2/5 / 4/5 = 1/2

For question 2)

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:23 am Post subject: Help needed on the following questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A ---if p=-5 and q=1 A fails

B----Need not necessarily

C----Need not necessarily True since p<q and s being a non negetive int it might be 0

D----Not True since p is -ve and q is +ve but S might be 0

E---since S is always either 0 or + ve int
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2006, 06:56
Prob1:

Let total space = S
Empty = S/5
Compact = 2S/5
Non-Compact = 2S/5

Total filled = Compact + Non-Compact
= 4S/5

Fraction = Non-Compact/Total Filled
(Not Total Filled - NonCompact)
= (2S/5)/(4S/5) = 1/2

Prob2:
Used a plug in strategy on this..

Given p < 0 < q, s is non -ve integer (could be zero).

Use p = -5 q = 2, s = 0
Only E is satisfied.

Answer: E
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 39

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2006, 07:01
first question:

filled space = 4/5 of the garage space

space left for non compat cars = 2/5
fraction of the filled spaces in the garage filled by non compat = (2/5)/ (4/5) = 1/2

Second question:

If p and q are integers, such that p<0<q, and s is a non negative integer, which of the following must be true?

E is the only possible answer

I know that u suspected

c,d,e

for c,d ,e if u assumed that s = zero only e survives

hope that helps
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2006, 02:14
Thanks a lot everybody...Now i see the stupid mistakes i was making...I wasnt taking s=0 and also didnt understand the q1...although tried to solve it multiple times but guess....i was caught up in my own narrow view...

thanks once again...
  [#permalink] 11 Sep 2006, 02:14