Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q1. Declining enrollments are forcing smaller private

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Q1. Declining enrollments are forcing smaller private [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 14:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:42) correct 57% (00:46) wrong based on 105 sessions
Q1. Declining enrollments are forcing smaller private colleges to choose between raising tuition and reduction of the staff.

A. raising tuition and reduction of the staff.
B. raising tuition and reducing staff
C. the raise of tuition and the reduction of staff
D. among raising tuition and reducing staff
E. between raising tuition or reducing staff

I was going through a practice set and came across this example. Can somebody please help me understand why choice C is incorrect ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by pqhai on 21 Dec 2013, 13:46, edited 2 times in total.
Corrected OA
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Sentence Correction doubts -- please help!!! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 14:38
dineesha wrote:
Hi, Can someone please help me understand why the below answers are correct? I am not sure if any other answers are correct, but I want to know why that particular option is correct with explanation.

Q1. Declining enrollments are forcing smaller private colleges to choose between raising tuition and reduction of the staff.

A. raising tuition and reduction of the staff.
B. raising tuition and reducing staff
C. the raise of tuition and the reduction of staff
D. among raising tuition and reducing staff
E. between raising tuition or reducing staff

I was going through a practice set and came across this example. Can somebody please help me understand why choice C is incorrect ?

The "raise of" is not standard English. There can be a "rise in tuition".

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Sentence Correction doubts -- please help!!! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 16:11
I agree with Machichi. Also, I think C is unnecessarily wordy comparing to B. My choice is B.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Re: Sentence Correction doubts -- please help!!! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 19:27
I chose B as well, but there is something wrong with your question. Where exactly is the underlined section of the sentence. Based upon answer choice A, it is "raising tuition and reduction of the staff.", which does not have "between" in it. Answer choices D and E have among and between in them respectively. That creates a repeat word in answer choice D. Is this the intended structure of the question?
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Q1. Declining enrollments are forcing smaller private [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 01:21
1.The idiom is Between X AND Y : 2. The list has 2 items

Thus Among = Eliminated / Between X OR Y = Eliminated ( D & E = Gone with the wind )

A : Raising ..............AND.............Reduction = Breaks parallelism = Eliminated

C : The raise of tuition is unidiomatic = doesn't make sense = Eliminated

B :............. Raising.............. AND..............Reducing = parallel

leading to B = my take
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: Q1. Declining enrollments are forcing smaller private [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 23:27
I think you entered the wrong answer choice when you submitted this question. Right now, it is counting C as the right answer in the GMAT timer but it is the wrong one.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 122

Re: Q1. Declining enrollments are forcing smaller private [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 13:47
catalysis wrote:
I think you entered the wrong answer choice when you submitted this question. Right now, it is counting C as the right answer in the GMAT timer but it is the wrong one.

@catalysis:
Error is fixed. Thanks for raising the issue.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Q1. Declining enrollments are forcing smaller private   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2013, 13:47