Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q2: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Q2: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 07:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

63% (01:59) correct 38% (01:07) wrong based on 130 sessions
Q2:
As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the
act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
A. As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this
results in the act of stinging causing
B. As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the
result that the act of stinging causes
C. The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in
the fact that the act of stinging causes
D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results
in the act of stinging causing
E. The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the
result that the act of stinging causes

HELP ME IN THIS .I dont find the answer convincing

cheers
Its Now Or Never

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 189 [2] , given: 0

Re: SC1 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
A. As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
-In this choice, staying where it is inserted is a modifier that provides additional information about the stinger. Thus, the information following the modifier, prefaced with "this results," does not correctly refer to anything in the sentence (if anything, it describes the stinger itself, rather than the fact that the stinger stays where it is inserted)

B. As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
-Since each clause is introduced by "connecting" punctuation ("as" and "with") this sentence contains no subject.

C. The honeybee's stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
-Similar to choice A, this choice uses the modifier heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted to describe the stinger. By removing this modifier (The honeybee's stinger results in the fact that ...), it becomes obvious that the sentence incorrectly states that the stinger itself, rather than the properties of the stinger, results in something. Moreover, the phrase "the fact that" is awkward and unnecessary.

D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
- This choice incorrectly equates the verbs stays and results. However, the sentence intends to indicate that the result is due to fact that the stinger stays where it is inserted.

E. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
-CORRECT. This choice clearly states that the stinger (subject) stays (verb), resulting in particularly poor circumstances for the honeybee!
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 09:55
abhijit_sen wrote:
A. As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
-In this choice, staying where it is inserted is a modifier that provides additional information about the stinger. Thus, the information following the modifier, prefaced with "this results," does not correctly refer to anything in the sentence (if anything, it describes the stinger itself, rather than the fact that the stinger stays where it is inserted)

B. As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
-Since each clause is introduced by "connecting" punctuation ("as" and "with") this sentence contains no subject.

C. The honeybee's stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
-Similar to choice A, this choice uses the modifier heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted to describe the stinger. By removing this modifier (The honeybee's stinger results in the fact that ...), it becomes obvious that the sentence incorrectly states that the stinger itself, rather than the properties of the stinger, results in something. Moreover, the phrase "the fact that" is awkward and unnecessary.

D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
- This choice incorrectly equates the verbs stays and results. However, the sentence intends to indicate that the result is due to fact that the stinger stays where it is inserted.

E. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
-CORRECT. This choice clearly states that the stinger (subject) stays (verb), resulting in particularly poor circumstances for the honeybee!

Even i had the same answer but Answer given is C ,is there any valid explanation for C but logically E seems correct here ??I dont rely on the source i got the questions.

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: SC1 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 10:07
I picked E as well

C was out for me because it reads

The honeybee’s stinger results in the fact that the act of stinging causes

3 issues

(1) stinger does not result

(2) usage of fact looks awkward.

(3) stays is correct and staying is wrong.

Only E made sense

A B were out as the usage of As was awkward.

D was out with act of stinging causing (causing is wrong)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 15

Re: SC1 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2009, 08:38
according to gmat test prep , OA is E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: SC1 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 04:36
abhijit_sen wrote:

it seems perfect explanation ... i also go with E..
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3674 [4] , given: 185

Re: Q2: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 15:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi debayan,

This is my response to a PM on this one.

As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

(A) As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
(B) As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
(C) The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
(D) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
(E) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

Since the meaning of this sentence is not difficult to understand, let’s evaluate the errors in this sentence:

Error Analysis:
1. There is no antecedent for “this”. Being a pronoun, “this” must refer to a noun, but from the meaning of the sentence, we know that an action results in something.
2. Also, only an action can “result in” something. We cannot say “a thing” “result in” something.
3. Notice the construction of this part “… of stinging causing…”. This is ungrammatical. We can only use a verb-ing word in this construction if it is a modifier.

PoE:

(A) As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(B) As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes: Incorrect. Per this choice, there is no independent clause in the sentence.

(C) The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes: Incorrect. It repeats the second error of choice A. Per this choice, the sentence says “The honeybee’s stingers” (a thing) results in something.

(D) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing: Incorrect. It repeats the third error in the original choice.

(E) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes: Correct.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Q2: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 19:43
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
Hi debayan,

This is my response to a PM on this one.

As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

(A) As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
(B) As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
(C) The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
(D) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
(E) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

Since the meaning of this sentence is not difficult to understand, let’s evaluate the errors in this sentence:

Error Analysis:
1. There is no antecedent for “this”. Being a pronoun, “this” must refer to a noun, but from the meaning of the sentence, we know that an action results in something.
2. Also, only an action can “result in” something. We cannot say “a thing” “result in” something.
3. Notice the construction of this part “… of stinging causing…”. This is ungrammatical. We can only use a verb-ing word in this construction if it is a modifier.

PoE:

(A) As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(B) As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes: Incorrect. Per this choice, there is no independent clause in the sentence.

(C) The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes: Incorrect. It repeats the second error of choice A. Per this choice, the sentence says “The honeybee’s stingers” (a thing) results in something.

(D) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing: Incorrect. It repeats the third error in the original choice.

(E) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes: Correct.

Thanks.
Shraddha.

Thanks a ton Shradhha...Your 'Error Analysis' has been really helpful to understand the soln. here.

From your analysis,what I understand here is that even a thing (like honeybee's stringer) having some attributes or being something (heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted) can not actually result in something.
Please let me know whether I got the mood right..?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3674 [2] , given: 185

Re: Q2: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 14:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Debayan,

I do feel that you have gotten the mood right here. However, I still want to add a few things here to make things simpler and easier to apply.
Always remember that the modifiers are just some extra information in the sentence they help us pad up the sentence and make it look “fat” (complex). We should always be able to identify the core of the sentence that is the SV pair.

Look at this sentence with choice C:
The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

We can easily eliminate “heavily… inserted” as it the exta padding in the sentence. The core of the sentence reads “The honeybee’s stinger results in…”. This usage is not correct. Just the stinger by itself does not result in anything. It is the action of insertion of the stinger that leads to fatal injury for honeybee’s. There has to be some kind of action associated for the use of “results in”.

Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Q2: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 21:44
Expert's post
Hi Shradhha,
Things are clearer now.. :) Thanks for the excellent 'pad up' analysis.

I must say that your posts and Error Analysis are simply wonderful and easy to understand/comprehend... Kudos to you my friend...!!

BTW,can we have some more of these sort of Modifiers related qs. posted in the community from e-GMAT ?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Q2: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 22:46
Apart from the important meaning perspective the option C also faced a serious parallelism issue.

See the modifier again - 'heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted.'

The modifier is not parallel at all. ed form modifier and ing form modifier cannot be parallel.

Hence the option C is also wrong from that perspective.

Thanks and regards,
amit

'The best way to thank or appreciate efforts on this forum is to give Kudos.'

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Q2: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 10:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Q2: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying   [#permalink] 09 May 2014, 10:38