Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q20: Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Q20: Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 05:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (02:23) correct 40% (02:01) wrong based on 157 sessions
Q20:
Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its central shopping district healthy, it should prevent the opening of a huge SaveAll discount department store on the outskirts of Morganville. Records from other small towns show that whenever SaveAll has opened a store outside the central shopping district of a small town, within five years the town has experienced the bankruptcies of more than a quarter of the stores in the shopping district.

The answer to which of the following would be most useful for evaluating the community activist’s reasoning?

A. Have community activists in other towns successfully campaigned against the opening of a SaveAll store on the outskirts of their towns?
B. Do a large percentage of the residents of Morganville currently do almost all of their shopping at stores in Morganville?
C. In towns with healthy central shopping districts, what proportion of the stores in those districts suffer bankruptcy during a typical five-year period?
D. What proportion of the employees at the SaveAll store on the outskirts of Morganville will be drawn from Morganville?
E. Do newly opened SaveAll stores ever lose money during their first five years of operation?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

hey ya......

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 07:08
C)...this would answer the question whether the new mall was responsible for the bankruptcies or maybe its a trend that occurs even without the new mall.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 17:23
C - is correct.Provides the comparision.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 17:28
C would be the right question

you need to have an idea about the normal situation before talking about the specific cases
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 22:28
A-Possible. If no activist was successful why bother. But this is not pertinent to argument itself, which says that 'Saveall' could be the cause for bankruptcy. Somwhat useful.

B. If the residents did not shop in Morganaville and shopped somewhere else, then the shops are not dependent on the residents. It would then follow that the shops would not go bankrupt if these people shopped in saveall.

C Does not emphasise the cause of bankruptcy as 'Saveall' it just establishes a time period for bankruptcy, which could be for any number of reasons. Not relevant.
D. Where the Employees are from does not affect the argument. Not relevant.
E. The performance of Saveall does not affect the argument, although if Saveall went bankrupt the shops may not. Somwhat useful.

I will go with B

OA please.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 22:28
anymore takers.....

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 22:31
I go with C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR # Morganville [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 04:31
nakib77 wrote:
Q20:
Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its central shopping district healthy, it should prevent the opening of a huge SaveAll discount department store on the outskirts of Morganville. Records from other small towns show that whenever SaveAll has opened a store outside the central shopping district of a small town, within five years the town has experienced the bankruptcies of more than a quarter of the stores in the shopping district.

The answer to which of the following would be most useful for evaluating the community activist’s reasoning?

B. Do a large percentage of the residents of Morganville currently do almost all of their shopping at stores in Morganville?
C. In towns with healthy central shopping districts, what proportion of the stores in those districts suffer bankruptcy during a typical five-year period?

well, i'm left with B and C. But let see which one is better.
Let see B: the activists want to prevent the opening of SaveAll ----> surely there is a large percentage of the residents of the town currently mostly shop at stores in the town. Because if there's no, the opening of SaveAll could attract most people to back to shop at the town( due to some kind of customer's attractive benefit provided by SaveAll)----> the activists would even encourage the opening of SaveAll to attract people to shop at their own town, not at some other towns ----> B can't be correct.
C it is.
Intern
Intern
Target GMAT Score: 700
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.25
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Q20: Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 09:37
I choose B: reason: if we evaluate yes, then it strengthen the conclusion. if we evaluate no, then it does weaken the conclusion.

not sure why answer is C. since we already know the proportion of bankruptcy is 25%.

can someone explain?

Where Focus Goes Energy Flows....Follow you dream and passion.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 115

Kudos [?]: 146 [1] , given: 4

Re: Q20: Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 02:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Pradeepss

Let me see if I Can help.

C is helpful because it provides us with a point of comparison.

For example if I tell you that I have a 25% success rate at a project, that's not actually useful in and of itself if you want to know if I'm good at that project. If I tell you though that I have a 25% success rate vs the average of 5% then you'd know that I'm better than average.

C works the same, how do you know if 25% is a lot of bankruptcies? Around the nation 25% might just be average - so the new mall has no additional impact.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Re: Q20: Community activist: If Morganville wants to keep its   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2013, 02:18