Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q33: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Q33: In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2005, 12:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Q33:
In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe crabs frequently burrow in the sand. Such burrowing discourages barnacles from clinging to their shells. When fully grown, however, the crabs can readily withstand tidal currents without burrowing, and thus they acquire substantial populations of barnacles. Surprisingly, in areas where tidal currents are very weak, juvenile horseshoe crabs are found not to have significant barnacle populations, even though they seldom burrow.
Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding?
A. Tidal currents do not themselves dislodge barnacles from the shells of horseshoe crabs.
B. Barnacles most readily attach themselves to horseshoe crabs in areas where tidal currents are weakest.
C. The strength of the tidal currents in a given location varies widely over the course of a day.
D. A very large barnacle population can significantly decrease the ability of a horseshoe crab to find food.
E. Until they are fully grown, horseshoe crabs shed their shells and grow new ones several times a year.

hey ya......

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2005, 20:50
Just to bring this to top. I am clueless on this.
My mind now blank after being hooked on to this site the whole day!
Can take it no more today! I am going to bed now.

Thanks a million to nakib77, GMATT73, rahulrao and few others. Great Job!!

They are the ones keeping this forum alive by posting almost all of the questions - quality ones!!
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 07:37
E. MOLTING!

It is the only logical explanation I can think of as to why the juvenile horseshoe crabs have no dangleberries clinging to their shells. All other answers are illogical.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 07:47
I'll take E. It suggests the barnacles population was not insignificant, just that the juvenile crab could have just shed their shells at the time of the study.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR # horseshoe crabs [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 12:33
nakib77 wrote:
Q33:
In order to withstand tidal currents, juvenile horseshoe crabs frequently burrow in the sand. Such burrowing discourages barnacles from clinging to their shells. When fully grown, however, the crabs can readily withstand tidal currents without burrowing, and thus they acquire substantial populations of barnacles. Surprisingly, in areas where tidal currents are very weak, juvenile horseshoe crabs are found not to have significant barnacle populations, even though they seldom burrow.
Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the surprising finding?
A. Tidal currents do not themselves dislodge barnacles from the shells of horseshoe crabs.
B. Barnacles most readily attach themselves to horseshoe crabs in areas where tidal currents are weakest.
C. The strength of the tidal currents in a given location varies widely over the course of a day.
D. A very large barnacle population can significantly decrease the ability of a horseshoe crab to find food.
E. Until they are fully grown, horseshoe crabs shed their shells and grow new ones several times a year.

I would pick A. OA pls
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2005, 00:48
I pick (E).

(A) It is needless to say that the tidal currents themselves do not dislodge barnacles from the shells of the crabs, because we can already see that it is true from the sentence "the crabs ... acquire substantial populations of barnacles." The crabs, even in strong tidal currents, have plenty of barnacles on their shells.

(E) They shed away their shells frequently, and this is why the young crabs hold little barnacles on their shells.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2005, 07:16
go E go....
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2005, 11:33
E.