Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2009, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (02:03) correct 34% (01:20) wrong based on 79 sessions
Q40
The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological
stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders
so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed
to correct it.

A. so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have
failed to correct it.
B. so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have
failed to correct
C. in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have
failed to correct them
D. that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have
failed to correct
E. that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have
failed to correct them
answer
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 19:10
Can anyone elaborate on this question?
I read the solution in the book and am still lost. It seems like even the correct answer has very odd construction.

Anyone?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 19:33
This post received
KUDOS
rohansherry wrote:
Q40
to correct it.

failed to correct it.
failed to correct
failed to correct them
failed to correct
failed to correct them
answer

it wrongly refers to non-existent computer company
to revise is the correct idiom
them - pronoun reference could be anything as most of them are plural
underlined portion should start with that construction, so that and in that isnt correct

Answer is D by looking at all the items mentioned above.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 19:40
Thanks!
I struggled with that one for a while, now that you pointed out the idiom it seems so obvious :evil:
Thanks again, kudos.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 11:46
IMO D - 'attempts to' correct idiom and 'so' not needed. Hence out of A and D - its D

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

21 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 296

Kudos [?]: 587 [21] , given: 11

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

This question seems to have been mostly addressed, but I wanted to add a few small things.

Q40
to correct it.

failed to correct it.
failed to correct
failed to correct them

NOTE: In A, B, and C, the phrases "so that" and "in that" would modify some kind of action, as in "He went to the store so that he could find Amy" or "It was a bad move in that it resulted in him getting dumped by Amy." We don't have an action we want to modify here (i.e., the only verb we have in the first half of the sentence is "are", and we're probably not modifying that).

failed to correct
failed to correct them

NOTE: D & E both correctly employ a relative pronoun to modify the final noun. The phrase beginning with "that" (a relative pronoun) thus modifies whatever word came before it. In this case, this final phrase must be modifying "managerial blunders", not the entirety of the list. For this reason, the "them" is majorly wrong. First, it is ambiguous (could refer to any individual plural noun in the list, or the whole list). Second, it is nonsense, because we're already in a modifying phrase, so there should be no need to point towards the noun we're talking about.

Word up.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 23:41
This post received
KUDOS
[/color]
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

This question seems to have been mostly addressed, but I wanted to add a few small things.

Q40
to correct it.

failed to correct it.
failed to correct
failed to correct them

NOTE: In A, B, and C, the phrases "so that" and "in that" would modify some kind of action, as in "He went to the store so that he could find Amy" or "It was a bad move in that it resulted in him getting dumped by Amy." We don't have an action we want to modify here (i.e., the only verb we have in the first half of the sentence is "are", and we're probably not modifying that).

failed to correct
failed to correct them

NOTE: D & E both correctly employ a relative pronoun to modify the final noun. The phrase beginning with "that" (a relative pronoun) thus modifies whatever word came before it. In this case, this final phrase must be modifying "managerial blunders", not the entirety of the list. For this reason, the "them" is majorly wrong. First, it is ambiguous (could refer to any individual plural noun in the list, or the whole list). Second, it is nonsense, because we're already in a modifying phrase, so there should be no need to point towards the noun we're talking about.

Word up.

Hope that helps!

The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have
failed to correct

Treat the compound subject as a single plural subject because the compound subject is plural. (I choose bloopers)

The computer company’s present troubles are a result of bloopers that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct
The reason why we do not need ‘them; is because the relative clause (that several....) already modifies bloopers and we don’t need a ‘them’ to state bloopers again.

Quoting you "D & E both correctly employ a relative pronoun to modify the final noun. The phrase beginning with "that" (a relative pronoun) thus modifies whatever word came before it. In this case, this final phrase must be modifying "managerial blunders", not the entirety of the list."

'that' modifies all 3 reasons because all 3 reason together cause the problem and not 'mangerial blunders'. ( tommy, you are being to hard on the managers :P )

'that' modifies the noun phrase(all 3 compund nouns in this case, not managerial blunders' as u stated) it touches, the only probable exception to this rule could be when 'that' modifies object of prepostion'.

Last edited by roshanaslam on 20 Aug 2010, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 587 [1] , given: 11

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Yes, relative pronouns are bit wishy-washy this way. They can modify the entire noun phrase, but they can also just modify the last noun. Logic really dictates what's happening.

I am in love with my car and the girlfriend that I met last week.

Clearly "that I met last week" is not modifying both nouns, but only the last one. Think of the modifier as a kind of adjective.

I am in love with the time and money that this new job affords me.

Clearly "that this new job affords me" is modifying both "time" and "money".

Either of these is considered correct, as long as it's clear which is meant.

-t

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 22:18
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Yes, relative pronouns are bit wishy-washy this way. They can modify the entire noun phrase, but they can also just modify the last noun. Logic really dictates what's happening.

I am in love with my car and the girlfriend that I met last week.

Clearly "that I met last week" is not modifying both nouns, but only the last one. Think of the modifier as a kind of adjective.

I am in love with the time and money that this new job affords me.

Clearly "that this new job affords me" is modifying both "time" and "money".

Either of these is considered correct, as long as it's clear which is meant.

-t

tommy. thanks for the reply.
the is a verbal review question. question no. 87. quoting 'the verbal review', 'this sentence lists 3 causes of the company's troubles and suggests that the strategies to correct the cause have failed'

very clearly the strategies are for all the 3 nouns and not just ' managerial blunder'

though i understood what u tried to say in the first example('I am in love with my car and the girlfriend that I met last week') , wouldnt the gmat love to see a 'who' in place of a 'that' to refer to 'the girlfriend'?? yeah 'that' can refer to humans/objects/theories etc, but i guess gmat will make sure that 'who' refers to 'girlfriend' in this case.
PS: the new song 'whisper' is awesome.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 01:33
chix475ntu wrote:
rohansherry wrote:
[color=#FF0000]it wrongly refers to non-existent computer company
[color=#FF0000]

I suppose "It" wrongly refers to Troubles . Correct me if I am mistaken !

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Kudos [?]: 587 [0], given: 11

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 12:45
Hey Rosha,

Thanks for the kind words on the song!

I'm not aware of any preference for "who" over "that" on the GMAT, but I suppose if you ever had a clear choice between that or who for a person, you'd go with "who". But there's nothing inherently WRONG with using "that" with people (only with using "who" with non people).

-t

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 11:31
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Q40
to correct it.

failed to correct it.
failed to correct
failed to correct them
Second, it is nonsense, because we're already in a modifying phrase, so there should be no need to point towards the noun we're talking about.Word up.

Hope that helps!

Hi Tommy,following your explanations is a great learning experience.
Can you elaborate on the line in bold that i have quoted above.
Also tommy,In the given sentence correction problem is there any ambiguity regarding whether the that clause in the SC question modifies only managerial blunders or all 3 nouns as a compound subject.If there is ambiguity then , dont we reject the option as the meaning is not clear

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 587 [1] , given: 11

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Munda,

Sure! Here's the sentence with answer choice E:

The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have
failed to correct them.

Starting with the relative pronoun "that", we have a modifying clause that is modifying "blunders". This is the antecedent of "them". However, there's no need to REFER to the very word that we're in the process of modifying. It would be like saying:

I'm waiting for the woman that I love her.

We don't need the pronoun "her," because we're actually MODIFYING the word "woman."

Hope that makes sense!

-t

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 20:41
Thanks to all for the explanations. D it is.
3 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 587 [3] , given: 11

Re: The computer company’s present troubles [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

I got asked this by PM (but don't PM me anymore, because I'm taking a break from the forums).

Isn't "It was a bad move in that it resulted in him getting dumped by Amy." similar to "The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders in that"

In both the sentences the verb is a form of "to be" .In the first case the verb is was and in the 2nd one the verb is are. Please explain the difference or is it that i havnt understood. I think C. in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them.

The problem Gurvinder is that it isn't modifying the right action. Notice in your first example how "in that" is modifying "was a bad move", and what comes after "in that" EXPLAINS HOW it's a bad move?

Well in the full sentence: The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders in that in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them.

Look at what comes after the "in that". This is NOT explaining how there were managerial blunders. This is explaining how the managerial blunders can't be corrected. That's not how you use it. This would be like saying "It was a bad move in that it was really bad." That doesn't explain HOW it was a bad move, so it doesn't work.

Make sense?

-t

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 06:53
Expert's post
In the question, would it have been correct if it were without "them" in C?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1059

Kudos [?]: 2523 [0], given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 08:02
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:

Hi @Marcab:

Even if we remove “them” from choice C, it will still remain incorrect. There are two reasons for that.
1. Use of “in that” is incorrect in this choice. The phrase “in that” elaborates on the “how” factor of the action in the previous clause. For example:
Children associate fun with Halloween in that they get to guise in spooky fashion and collect sweet “treats”.
However, use of “in that” does not make sense in choice C because it incorrectly presents the how aspect of “are the results…”. Here we need “that” to modify these problems that the company has not been able solve so far.

2. Also the phrase “several attempts to” is better and more precise that “several attempts at”.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 10:12
Expert's post
Many thanks for the reply.
"....are result of technological
to correct it"
"HOW"are the company's present troubles a result of technological
stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders?
ANSWER: Because several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct the company's troubles.

As far as I think, if one is able to create a "how" question and is able to answer it, then the in that construction is valid.
Please let me know if I am missing something. I feel I am pretty naive in SC.

Moreover, please elaborate how you prefer "revising to" over "revising at". Both to and at are preposition and hence are followed by noun. What's wrong in that?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 561

GMAT Tests User
Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 04:07
egmat wrote:
Marcab wrote:

Hi @Marcab:

Even if we remove “them” from choice C, it will still remain incorrect. There are two reasons for that.
1. Use of “in that” is incorrect in this choice. The phrase “in that” elaborates on the “how” factor of the action in the previous clause. For example:
Children associate fun with Halloween in that they get to guise in spooky fashion and collect sweet “treats”.
However, use of “in that” does not make sense in choice C because it incorrectly presents the how aspect of “are the results…”. Here we need “that” to modify these problems that the company has not been able solve so far.

2. Also the phrase “several attempts to” is better and more precise that “several attempts at”.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi shraddha,
Please elaborate more on 'in that'

In the example you quoted, 'in that' is modifying the action 'associate' ?

Kindly let us know correct usages of 'in that' with examples..
Regards,
Sach

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 136

Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 21:42
Quote:

Kindly let us know correct usages of 'in that' with examples..
Regards,
Sach

Hi,

"Inthat" is used similar to "Because". But if given a choice between inthat and becuase, use of because is given preference. as per OG.

Thanks

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2013, 21:42