Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q50-V24- 630 When to Retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Q50-V24- 630 When to Retake? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 14:15
Hey guys,

Here is my score I got in 27 December 2012 (almost a month ago).
Q50
V24
Total: 630

I need your suggestion when to retake the exam?

Here info about me:
I am a mech engineer and good at math.
Except for a few topics, I do not find quant difficult.
I like solving SC questions, it is like solving a puzzle, but my scores not so consistent, I do not know why. If I do not care time and the passage is not so hard to understand, I am sure I can do %90 of CR questions correct. When it comes to the RC, I do nothing for that part at all. And I find these questions very difficult comparing to the ones in the TOEFL.
For the first exam I prepared for almost 3 months.
My GMATprep exam scores were 660 and 690 or sth like that

Here info about my study before the First Real Test:
I covered the questions from Manhattan series in 2 or 3 days.
I find the advanced quant book of the Manhattan very useful and spent almost a week.

For SC, I covered the Manhattan and SC Grail of powerscore.
For CR, I just had a quick look on powerscore bible and Manhattan.
For RC, I did nothing at all.

PLUS

I solved all the questions in OG12 and 2nd Edition of Verbal Review.

Personal Note: I find questions in these official guide books quite easy, except for some last questions.

Here info about how I screwed up in the real GMAT:

Quant was quite okey, I had a lot of time left and took very slowly last 10-15 questions.

Verbal.... RC questions were quite easy and understandable topics comparing to the ones in OG. I thought that this was the best part of me in the verbal.
I could not focus on CR questions. I was not sure from my answers at all. First couple of my SC questions were okey but then I could not concentrate on again.

Here info about what I did after the exam till now (in a 1 month):

I could not find enough time but I totally changed my study style.

I went over CR Bible more deeply and solved some questions from I do not know the souce. I solved questions topicwise. Then, I finished LSAT book of the same company. It was like 100 questions. I solved every single day 10 questions from this book. I did %75 correct on average.

For SC, I just left looking Manhattan SC book and started to watch Thursdays with Ron's. I do not know how, but I fall in love with these guy, his style is just perfect and when I listen him, everything is so clear. I havent still finished these videos. My purpose is finishing them and going topicwise,as in the CR, and then solving some mix questions. But I realized that my strategy was totally different from what I learn from the videos now. I hope this is the right way.

For RC, still I havent done anything yet.

I completely stopped the quant.

Here is your parti I need some suggestion :):

First of all make it clear that, I have to pass 650 and the closer to 700 the far better.
My target is 670.

First of all is it possible to get this score with wat I did after the exam?
If not, what do I need to do extra?
Should I have a look on quant again?
Is there any example like me having less than 650 and passing 650 in a month?
To be honest, I feel very uncomfortable and take it immediately, but I do know that this wrong. I still have 45 days to take it again.
Although it is going to be very hard for me to wait for it again, I can work more or less 45 days more.
What do you suggest me?
Actually, I am also afraid of to be under 650 again.
I have a job and can work at most 2 hours in weekdays, and 4-5 hours in weekends.

Can I do that?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 66

Re: Q50-V24- 630 When to Retake? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 15:05
Expert's post
Hi there,
I read your post and I was impressed with the level of detail you went into about your experiences preparing for the GMAT. I think a couple of things are pretty clear from what you wrote:
1) You're good at the quant section
2) You don't like Reading Comprehension or studying for it

I believe the main issue to address is really the RC. I would compare this to an athlete trying to do well on the triathlon. You're an excellent runner, a decent cyclist but you hate the water so you don't want to practice swimming. The problem is, you'll do very well in marathons, you'll do very well in bike races (stay away from team Armstrong), but you don't do as well in triathlons because your score is impeded by the swimming portion.

Since you're looking to score quite highly, you can't really neglect 1/6 of the exam and expect to score very highly. I would recommend diving into RC (which will help your CR as well). It's obvious that it's not something you like, but you have to get through it to get the score that you want on this exam.

My quick responses to your questions (in blue):
First of all is it possible to get this score with wat I did after the exam? Absolutely, you can get a better score if you improve your weak areas on the verbal.
If not, what do I need to do extra? Reading Comprehension problems, but you already know this
Should I have a look on quant again? Don't sacrifice quant totally but you can review it sporadically while concentrating on verbal
Is there any example like me having less than 650 and passing 650 in a month? Of course! I had a student in 2011 who took the class specifically to get 700. He had 640 before. After the class, he got 690, which he described as both very satisfying and very frustrating. He eventually stayed with the 690 and got into the school of his choice.

To be honest, I feel very uncomfortable and take it immediately, but I do know that this wrong. I still have 45 days to take it again.
Although it is going to be very hard for me to wait for it again, I can work more or less 45 days more.
What do you suggest me? I think, if you really want to get that 650+, you can do it with a concerted effort on your verbal section. This will likely only take a couple of weeks. ]

Actually, I am also afraid of to be under 650 again.
I have a job and can work at most 2 hours in weekdays, and 4-5 hours in weekends. 10 hours a week is a very good target for GMAT. It sounds like you have the capacity for 20/week, so you'd still have free time to relax andwatch hockey. (I'm Canadian, everything revolves around hockey). I'd say 2-3 weeks should be enough if you spend the majority of your time on RC and shore up that score.

I think you already knew this before writing your post, but I doubt you'd spend the time writing this post if you didn't want to get a better score on the GMAT next time. If you can do all you want with the 630 score, then you're set. If you need 650+, all you need is to keep quant the same and move Verbal to about 28-29, and you'll get there easily.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Q50-V24- 630 When to Retake?   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2013, 15:05