Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619014 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619014 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: Rhombus [#permalink]
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are on the same line. Is quadrilateral ABDE a rhombus?

Rhombus is a quadrilateral with all four sides equal in length. A rhombus is actually just a special type of parallelogram (just like square or rectangle).

So ABCD is a rhombus means AB=BC=CD=AD.
ABDE to be a rhombus it must be true that AB=BD=DE=AE.

(1) The measure of angle BCD is 60 degrees --> diagonal BD equals to the sides of rhombus, so BD=AB. Know nothing about DE or/and AE. Not sufficient.

(2) AE is parallel to BD --> ABDE is a parallelogram (as AE||BD and BA||DE), hence opposite sides are equal: BD=AE and AB=DE. But we don't know whether all sides are equal (AB=BD=DE=AE). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1): BD=AB and from (2) BD=AE and AB=DE --> AB=BD=DE=AE --> ABDE is a rhombus. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel,

I'm trying to catch my disconnect and tried to explain the reasoning. Appreciate any input.

1. From the question stem, we know that AB=BC=CD=DA because it's a rhombus. We cannot infer the exact degree's besides stating that the opposite angles will be equal and the adjacent will add up to 180. Is that correct to infer?

2, Additionally, we are told/asked "Is quadrilateral ABDE a rhombus?" -- It does say that ABDE is a quadrilateral, meaning, that the lines AE and BD should be parallel and AB and DE should be parallel. Is that correct to infer? I'm guessing the answer is NO. Maybe i'm confusing quadrilateral with parallelogram?

Now, according to statement A = If I know that BCD is 60 degrees, I can automatically infer that BAD is 60 degrees since it's a rhombus. This makes ADE 60 degrees but I don't know anything about the other two angles DAE and DEA.

INSUFFICIENT

3. Additionally, statement two states that (2) AE is parallel to BD. Now I can infer that since AE is parallel to BD and since BA is parallel to DE, it's at least a parallelogram. Correct?

Now, since I know that it's a parallelogram, I can work my way through the angles and realize that it's a parallelogram with all acute angles equal to each other and all obtuse equal to each other. I also know that BC = BD = BA, therefore a Rhombus.

1 is correct.
2 is not correct. Quadrilateral just means "four sides". So, any four-sided shape is a quadrilateral.
3 is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Rhombus [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are on the same line. Is quadrilateral ABDE a rhombus?

Rhombus is a quadrilateral with all four sides equal in length. A rhombus is actually just a special type of parallelogram (just like square or rectangle).

(1) The measure of angle BCD is 60 degrees --> diagonal BD equals to the sides of rhombus, so BD=AB. Know nothing about DE or/and AE. Not sufficient.

(2) AE is parallel to BD --> ABDE is a parallelogram (as AE||BD and BA||DE), hence opposite sides are equal: BD=AE and AB=DE. But we don't know whether all sides are equal (AB=BD=DE=AE). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1): BD=AB and from (2) BD=AE and AB=DE --> AB=BD=DE=AE --> ABDE is a rhombus. Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,

I'm trying to catch my disconnect and tried to explain the reasoning. Appreciate any input.

1. From the question stem, we know that AB=BC=CD=DA because it's a rhombus. We cannot infer the exact degree's besides stating that the opposite angles will be equal and the adjacent will add up to 180. Is that correct to infer?

2, Additionally, we are told/asked "Is quadrilateral ABDE a rhombus?" -- It does say that ABDE is a quadrilateral, meaning, that the lines AE and BD should be parallel and AB and DE should be parallel. Is that correct to infer? I'm guessing the answer is NO. Maybe i'm confusing quadrilateral with parallelogram?

Now, according to statement A = If I know that BCD is 60 degrees, I can automatically infer that BAD is 60 degrees since it's a rhombus. This makes ADE 60 degrees but I don't know anything about the other two angles DAE and DEA.

INSUFFICIENT

3. Additionally, statement two states that (2) AE is parallel to BD. Now I can infer that since AE is parallel to BD and since BA is parallel to DE, it's at least a parallelogram. Correct?

Now, since I know that it's a parallelogram, I can work my way through the angles and realize that it's a parallelogram with all acute angles equal to each other and all obtuse equal to each other. I also know that BC = BD = BA, therefore a Rhombus.

1 is correct.
2 is not correct. Quadrilateral just means "four sides". So, any four-sided shape is a quadrilateral.
3 is correct.

Thanks a ton. Very clear now.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are [#permalink]
AccipiterQ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

How do you know that BD=AB from 1?? Is there some hidden calculations done in there? All I see is BCD=60, you don't know the measures of any other angles so it doesn't really tell you anything

Important thing to remember here: Rhombus is a symmetrical quadrilateral wrt the diagonals. What this means is that any diagonal will divide the rhombus into 2 triangles of equal areas. Also, because of the symmetry it is easy to prove that \(\angle A = \angle C\). Additional properties of rhombus are:

•Opposite angles of a rhombus have equal measure.
•The two diagonals of a rhombus are perpendicular
•Its diagonals bisect opposite angles.

Draw BD to complete triangle ABD. Given, \(\angle {BCD}\) = 60 degrees. ----> \(\angle {BAD}\) = 60 degrees and \(\angle {ABC}\) = \(\angle {CDA}\) = 120 degrees (to complete 360 degree for sum of all internal angles of a quadrilateral).

Now, diagonal BD will bisect \(\angle {CBA}\) and \(\angle {CDA}\) such that \(\angle {ABD} = \angle {ADB}\) = x.

Thus, in triangle ABD, x+x+60 = 180 ----> x = 60 degrees . Thus triangle ABD is equilateral and hence AB = BD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

INSUFFICIENT

1 is correct.
3 is correct.

hi bunuel,

could you please clarify ABDE is a parallelogram (as AE||BD and BA||DE). I just want to know on what basis we are saying ABDE is parallelogram. I am not clear about this.

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are [#permalink]
PathFinder007 wrote:

hi bunuel,

could you please clarify ABDE is a parallelogram (as AE||BD and BA||DE). I just want to know on what basis we are saying ABDE is parallelogram. I am not clear about this.

Thanks

Any quadrilateral with 2 pairs of parallel lines is a parallelogram. All shapes such as rectangles, rhombuses, squares are parallelograms
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [4]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are [#permalink]
Kudos