Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:10) correct 58% (01:19) wrong based on 143 sessions
Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of K is 20. AC is perpendicular to BD. What is the area of ABCD?

(1) AB = AD
(2) The length of CE is 8.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3493

Kudos [?]: 26252 [7] , given: 2708

Re: Help! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 05:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Attachment:
Circle.PNG
Circle.PNG [ 11.42 KiB | Viewed 8409 times ]
Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of K is 20. AC is perpendicular to BD. What is the area of ABCD?

First note that as AC is perpendicular to BD and CA is a diameter then triangles CDA and CBA are congruent (they are mirror images of each other). Thus the area of quadrilateral ABCD is twice the area of triangle CDA, which equals to 1/2*DE*CA=1/2*DE*20=10*DE (AC is perpendicular to BD means DE is the height of CDA), so area of ABCD=2*CDA=20*DE. All we need to find is the lengths of the line segment DE.

Alternately as ABCD is a kite (triangles CDA and CBA are congruent then CB=CD and AB = AD --> ABCD is a kite) then its area equals to \frac{d_1*d_2}{2} and as one diagonal is a diameter CA, which equals to 20, then we need the second diagonal BD which equals to 2*DE.

Next, you should know the following properties to solve this question:
A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle.

So, as CA is a diameter then angles CDA and CBA are right angles.

Perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle.

Thus, the perpendicular DE divides right triangle CDA into two similar triangles CDE and DAE. Now, as in similar triangles, corresponding sides are all in the same proportion then CE/DE=DE/EA --> DE^2=CE*EA.

(1) AB = AD --> we knew this ourselves (from the fact that triangles CDA and CBA are congruent). Not sufficient.

(2) The length of CE is 8 --> EA=CA-CE=20-8=12 --> DE^2=CE*EA=8*12=96. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Check this for more: math-triangles-87197.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 06:27
Great explanation Bunuel! Kudos!

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Help! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 04:10
Great stuff for enlightening about this axiom :-)

" Perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle."

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 99 [1] , given: 27

Re: Help! [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 04:27
This post received
KUDOS
Perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle.

Well, this is a nice one. Howevr, the given qtn can be easily solved with out using this.

the area of the Quadrilateral ABCD = 2 * area of trianlge ACD.

area of triangle ACD = 1/2*AC * DE = 1/2 * 20 * DE we knw that AC = 20 (i.e. diameter)

==>the area of the Quadrilateral ABCD = 2 * area of trianlge ACD = 2 ( 1/2*AC * DE) = 20*DE

Stmnt1: AB = AD..

We can move the BD line up/down on the diameter (AC) keeping that line (BD) perpendicular to AC and also keeping AB=AD. Well but the area of the Quad will change as the line (BD) moves Up/Down...JUST IMAGINE....
Hence this stmnt is of no use.

Stmnt2:
CE=8

connect k and D making a line KD that is radius = 20/2 = 10

now we also know that CK (radius) = 10. hence KE = CK-CE = 10-8 = 2

Now we have EKD, the right angle triangle, with EK = 2 and KD = 10

==> DE = \sqrt{KD^2-EK^2}
==> DE = \sqrt{96}

==> the area of the Quadrilateral ABCD = 20*DE = 20*\sqrt{96}

Answer B.

Regards,
Murali.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 01:15
a not sufficient.giving no values.

b. triangles CED and CDA are similar.
Hence (CE/CD) = (CD/CA)

CD = 20 * 6 = 120 ^ 1/2

thus area of triangle CDA can be found,which multiplied by 2 will give area of ABCD

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 00:35
Hi Bunuel,

As always a great explanation. However i could not understand this part..Could you please explain it. Thanks.

"First note that as AC is perpendicular to BD and CA is a diameter then triangles CDA and CBA are congruent (they are mirror images of each other). Thus the area of quadrilateral ABCD is twice the area of triangle CDA, "
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 515 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 01:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
There are two important properties that can help in answering this question:

1) In any quadrilateral with perpendicular diagonals, the area is given by half the product of the diagonals.
2) A diameter perpendicular to a chord bisects that chord. In addition, any point on the diameter, is equally distant from the endpoints of the chord. In the attached drawing, it means that necessarily AB = AD and BC = DC. AC being the perpendicular bisector of BD means that BE = ED.

Now to our question:

(1) AB = AD doesn't help. It follows from the property of the diameter perpendicular to a chord. In addition, think of moving the chord BD parallel to itself, it will remain perpendicular to the diameter AC, AB will remain equal to AD, but the area of the quadrilateral will change.
Not sufficient.

(2) Since CE = 8 and CK is radius, then EK = 10 - 8 = 2.
From the right triangle KED we can compute ED (using Pythagoras's) and having ED in fact we have BD = 2ED. Then the area of the quadrilateral can be computed as we have both diagonals.
Sufficient.

Answer B.
Attachments

KiteInCircle.jpg
KiteInCircle.jpg [ 25.07 KiB | Viewed 6309 times ]

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 12

Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 16:18
Bunnel,
I am not sure about the solutions being proposed here. I think it should be E. All the solutions i see here are based on the assumptions that the quadrilateral is a kite and nowhere this is mentioned. I have my doubts about this assumption as nothing is given about other properties of kite. Ex :

The two line segments connecting opposite points of tangency have equal length.

THanks,
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 515 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 00:44
vdadwal wrote:
Bunnel,
I am not sure about the solutions being proposed here. I think it should be E. All the solutions i see here are based on the assumptions that the quadrilateral is a kite and nowhere this is mentioned. I have my doubts about this assumption as nothing is given about other properties of kite. Ex :

The two line segments connecting opposite points of tangency have equal length.

THanks,

In the attached drawing, in the triangle BKD, BK = DK = radius. It follows that triangle BKD is isosceles, so KE being perpendicular to BD (it is given that the diameter AC is perpendicular to BD) it bisects the base BD of the triangle. Or, you can compare the two triangles BKE and DKE, they are congruent.
Therefore, AC is the perpendicular bisector of BD, and every point on it, is equally distant from B and D.
Or, you can continue with comparing pairs of triangles - ABE congruent to ADE, therefore ABD isosceles (AB = AD). Similarly, BCD is isosceles, so BC = DC.
It follows that ABCD is a kite.
Attachments

KiteInCircle-more.jpg
KiteInCircle-more.jpg [ 26.73 KiB | Viewed 6194 times ]

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 09:47
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Circle.PNG

First note that as AC is perpendicular to BD and CA is a diameter then triangles CDA and CBA are congruent (they are mirror images of each other). Thus the area of quadrilateral ABCD is twice the area of triangle CDA, which equals to 1/2*DE*CA=1/2*DE*20=10*DE (AC is perpendicular to BD means DE is the height of CDA), so area of ABCD=2*CDA=20*DE. All we need to find is the lengths of the line segment DE.

Alternately as ABCD is a kite (triangles CDA and CBA are congruent then CB=CD and AB = AD --> ABCD is a kite) then its area equals to \frac{d_1*d_2}{2} and as one diagonal is a diameter CA, which equals to 20, then we need the second diagonal BD which equals to 2*DE.

Next, you should know the following properties to solve this question:
A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle.

So, as CA is a diameter then angles CDA and CBA are right angles.

Thus, the perpendicular DE divides right triangle CDA into two similar triangles CDE and DAE. Now, as in similar triangles, corresponding sides are all in the same proportion then CE/DE=DE/EA --> DE^2=CE*EA.

(1) AB = AD --> we knew this ourselves (from the fact that triangles CDA and CBA are congruent). Not sufficient.

(2) The length of CE is 8 --> EA=CA-CE=20-8=12 --> DE^2=CE*EA=8*12=96. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Check this for more: math-triangles-87197.html

Bunnel

I always have confusion about taking which sides into consideration when we are equating corresponding corresponding sides, can you please throw some light into this...i.e how to write the equation CE/DE=DE/EA

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 656

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 04:31
EvaJager wrote:
There are two important properties that can help in answering this question:

1) In any quadrilateral with perpendicular diagonals, the area is given by half the product of the diagonals.
2) A diameter perpendicular to a chord bisects that chord. In addition, any point on the diameter, is equally distant from the endpoints of the chord. In the attached drawing, it means that necessarily AB = AD and BC = DC. AC being the perpendicular bisector of BD means that BE = ED.

Now to our question:

(1) AB = AD doesn't help. It follows from the property of the diameter perpendicular to a chord. In addition, think of moving the chord BD parallel to itself, it will remain perpendicular to the diameter AC, AB will remain equal to AD, but the area of the quadrilateral will change.
Not sufficient.

(2) Since CE = 8 and CK is radius, then EK = 10 - 8 = 2.
From the right triangle KED we can compute ED (using Pythagoras's) and having ED in fact we have BD = 2ED. Then the area of the quadrilateral can be computed as we have both diagonals.
Sufficient.

Answer B.

Hello Eve,

Thanks for the your approach to handle this Q.I thought your approach was better

I wanted your inputs w.r.t Similarity of triangles.

Please refer to the attachment for the same Q. I am confused on how do we define the proportion of sides ie. Which side upon which side is proportional.
Is there any general rule that we can follow.

This sometimes confuses me while solving Questions on Similarity of triangles

Looking forward to your inputs.

Thanks
Mridul
Attachments

Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K.doc [35.5 KiB]
Downloaded 47 times

To download please login or register as a user

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 11:59
Quick question

:
"(2) The length of CE is 8 --> EA=CA-CE=20-8=12 --> DE^2=CE*EA=8*12=96. Sufficient."

What am I missing here? How do you get DE^2 = CE * EA??? is there a triangle property that I missed out on?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26252 [0], given: 2708

Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 02:59
Expert's post
rsworase wrote:
Quick question

:
"(2) The length of CE is 8 --> EA=CA-CE=20-8=12 --> DE^2=CE*EA=8*12=96. Sufficient."

What am I missing here? How do you get DE^2 = CE * EA??? is there a triangle property that I missed out on?

It's explained here: quadrilateral-abcd-is-inscribed-in-circle-k-the-diameter-of-108776.html#p865608

Hope it's clear.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 543

Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 04:36

(1) AB = AD

Attachments

336.png
336.png [ 13.31 KiB | Viewed 4220 times ]

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26252 [0], given: 2708

Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 04:38
Expert's post
fozzzy wrote:

(1) AB = AD

Merging topics. Please refer to the solutions above.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 134

Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 12:31

(1) AB = AD
AB = AD, BE = ED. However, we know nothing about BE = ED length. Depending on the vertical height of BD in relation to it's position up and down CA, the area of the quadrilateral can be of greatly different area. Insufficient.

If the length of CE = 8 then EA = 12. Furthermore, we can derive the height of this triangle. We know that the diameter is 20 which means the center is at 10. If CE = 8 then EK = 2. We also know that the radius = 10 so we can find the length of ED. We now have the length of the base and the height which allows us to find area. Because CA bisects and is perpendicular to BD, we know that CD = CB and that DA = BA so the triangles are similar which means that they both have the same area. Sufficient.

Please see link for diagram.

http://i.imgur.com/LIkYtR0.png
Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2013, 12:31