Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quality of Consulting for B-School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Quality of Consulting for B-School [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I have a question regarding the type of consulting preferable for b-schools. I know that there are many different types of consulting out there...e.g

Management - M/B/B, Katzenbach, Monitor...etc.
IT Consulting - IBM, Accenture
Economics/Litigation Consulting - NERA, Cornerstone, LECG

Can anyone shed light on how each field is viewed? Obviously M/B/B analysts are actively seeked by top b-schools, but for someone who really likes Technology or Economics, does going to a firm like IBM or LECG put them at a disadvantage? Granted, econ/litigation firms like NERA are really well-known in their field, but they don't seem to get any respect since management consulting is seen as the top b-school feeder, and most people haven't heard of them. I am wondering because when graduating from undergrad (ivy league), I had an option to go to one of MBB and a top econ consulting firm, and I chose the latter because I was an econ major and loved econometrics. Now I'm starting to regret it since it seems like an overwhelming percentage with a pre-bschool consulting background had management consulting experience.

Thanks.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Quality of Consulting for B-School [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 20:44
Yes, the strat firms are feeders to the top schools, moreso than other types of consulting firms.

Regret isn't particularly productive. Make the most of what you have now, and the experience that you've had.

There certainly has been people from econ/litigation consulting getting into the top b-schools -- the key is being able to convince the adcom that you are more than your job (the adcoms are familiar enough with this segment because it's not like b-school applicants from econ/litigation consulting are rare) -- what is apparent is that you're detail oriented and analytical (especially with numbers). What isn't as obvious are the interpersonal and team skills (which is what you'll have to really emphasize).

Beyond that, it's pointless to worry about how other types of consultants fare. Focus on you and what you can do.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Quality of Consulting for B-School [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 21:19
You're right and I appreciate the honest response. I have one last question that I hope you get a chance to answer- how does one exactly show "interpersonal and team skills?" I assume one method is taking part in an extracurricular outside of work (e.g. joining a volunteer organization/music ensemble/sports team), but are there any other pointers or tips?

Thanks again.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Quality of Consulting for B-School [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 23:24
Bipolarbear, I got into Duke and Kellogg from an operations-focused boutique that no one outside the hospitality industry has ever heard of. I have a friend who worked at Mercer and a non-profit who is going to Wharton. So going to one kind of consulting firm over another is not something worth regretting -- it will only sink you if you have nothing more redeeming in your application than the company you work for. Don't sweat your past decisions -- work to put together a compelling app going forward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Quality of Consulting for B-School [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 07:47
Encouraging news. Thanks.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Quality of Consulting for B-School [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 15:09
bipolarbear wrote:
You're right and I appreciate the honest response. I have one last question that I hope you get a chance to answer- how does one exactly show "interpersonal and team skills?" I assume one method is taking part in an extracurricular outside of work (e.g. joining a volunteer organization/music ensemble/sports team), but are there any other pointers or tips?

Thanks again.

Talk about work situations, focusing on your impact on the interpersonal dynamics of the group. Highlight how you influenced people's behavior in a particular work example.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Quality of Consulting for B-School   [#permalink] 13 May 2009, 15:09