Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quant 47-49 to 50+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Quant 47-49 to 50+ [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 10:46
Any advice to improve Quant from 47-49 to 50+?

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Quant 47-49 to 50+ [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 11:03
01dynamic wrote:

It look likes you got the basics but just need to fine tune your skills. I would recommend the MGMAT Advanced Quant, a new MGMAT book with helpful strategies and some workout sets with tough questions. Besides that you can try the GMATClub tests, a very tough quant test bank available on this forum.
Manager
Manager

Re: Quant 47-49 to 50+ [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 11:14
Which one are more relevant to GMAT ? Doing tough questions are OK but only if they are similar to GMAT questions, don't take me wrong as i am trying to get max. impact with least effort on Quant. i am spending most of my time on verbal prep.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3412

Kudos [?]: 24959 [1] , given: 2698

Re: Quant 47-49 to 50+ [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: Quant 47-49 to 50+ [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 13:04
thanks bunuel. good info.....

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4854 [1] , given: 163

Re: Quant 47-49 to 50+ [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 21:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
01dynamic wrote:

In my opinion, people lag at 47-49 due to the following reasons:

1. At 47-49, you know most concepts well. Perhaps there are some where you know the process but not the actual concept behind it e.g. divisibility - you know how to answer questions based on those but you don't understand what divisibility is so when you get some seemingly tough problem, you are unable to sort it out because your usual process doesn't work. It is important to understand the subtle difference between 'process of solving' and 'knowing exactly why you are following the process'. Say, I know you can solve x^2 - 5x + 6 = 0 in your sleep but why do you take the steps you do? Why do you factorize? Why do you equate each to 0?
Note: I am not saying that you don't know these things. I don't know what you do or don't know. But the problems you have MIGHT be similar.

2. You could be using long winded solutions, making tons of equations and trying to wrap your head around them. Many people love using the mathematical tools and manipulations since it gives them the satisfaction of solving the questions using the 'mathematical; way. But most GMAT questions are not about Math, they are about logic. If you understand the concepts, you can solve most of them in under a minute. It again comes down to 'knowing the concept well'. Try and explore more 'logical and efficient' solutions. I like to discuss concepts on my blog. The link is given below if you want to check it out.

3. Pace yourself properly and don't take it to heart if a question seems beyond reach. Just make an intelligent guess, if possible, and move on. If you fall short of time, you will hurry at the end and that will be disastrous (you will make lots of silly mistakes). Realize, GMAT is a game of wits. If you are at 48 on average, you already have the potential of 51. You just need to keep a cool head, follow the shortest, most logical approach and keep plenty of time at hand.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Quant 47-49 to 50+ [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 04:49
Karishma:

I guessed last 2-3 questions on GMAT (Q49) as i was running out of time. I spend almost 4-5 mins on few questions in the beginning of the test and i believe my approach was wrong to solve those questions. On quant i understand the basics as even on GRE i got 800/800 on quant, but i am looking for advanced concepts which are tested on GMAT. Any advice on that?

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4854 [0], given: 163

Re: Quant 47-49 to 50+ [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 07:52
Expert's post
01dynamic wrote:
Karishma:

I guessed last 2-3 questions on GMAT (Q49) as i was running out of time. I spend almost 4-5 mins on few questions in the beginning of the test and i believe my approach was wrong to solve those questions. On quant i understand the basics as even on GRE i got 800/800 on quant, but i am looking for advanced concepts which are tested on GMAT. Any advice on that?

For a discussion on some advanced concepts, check out my blog. Plus, work on your timing strategies. Check out this post for ideas:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/10 ... for-field/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Quant 47-49 to 50+   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2012, 07:52