Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quant Coursework Question - Please help!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 2.78
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Quant Coursework Question - Please help!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 06:36
Hello,

I plan on applying to a number of top 25 schools for a fall 2013 start, and I am currently putting together my CV. In general, I think my application looks good: I graduated from a public ivy, scored a 720 on the GMAT, have good recommendations, 3 years with a wealth management group at a big bank/1 yr prior of PE real estate experience, various leadership positions in volunteer orgs, and minority status.

The biggest problem is that I had a just under a 3.0 GPA in college. I was immature at the time, and took opportunities I was blessed with for granted. Since then, I've taken 8 courses since college from accredited universities, all in accounting and financial planning related subjects, and have done very well. I have been told that I should also take a statistics course and a calculus course. This is in large part because my prior experience with those courses was so long ago (a 5 in AP Calculus) or poor enough (did awful in college Statistics) that schools would want to be sure I can handle quant coursework.

However, I'm now in a time crunch. I would like to apply to the earliest, non early decision deadline for each of my schools. However, the live courses available for calculus and statistics will end well after most of these early admissions deadlines. I could try to take an online course that ends earlier, likely on a self-paced or 12 week schedule, but I am concerned that online coursework would be looked down upon by admissions. Regardless of the method of instruction, I expect to get an A on both of these courses.

Assuming I will apply to the earliest deadline possible, do I:
A) Take the online courses and get the grade, or
B) Take the live courses which may look more 'authentic', but likely won't have the grade available for consideration in the application?

If you believe I should take online coursework, do you have any suggestions where I should take it?

Thank you all for reading this, I really look forward to your insight.

- K
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 73

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Quant Coursework Question - Please help!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 07:04
You will be fine taking online coursework as long. If the online school is accredited and tied to a brick and mortar institution (like UC Berkeley extension or Harvard extension) then that is preferred.

But honestly, you've already taken 8 classes that are quite quantitative in nature. I wouldn't spend the time or money on taking more classes at this point. Depending on the quant breakdown of your GMAT score, I think that 8 finance and accounting classes is sufficient for an alternate transcript. Besides there is such a thing as taking too many classes. If you OD on the alternate transcript and adcom will wonder what you need the MBA for if you've already taken every course.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Re: Quant Coursework Question - Please help!!!   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2012, 07:04