Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quant preparation: Sufficient for a good result or not?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Quant preparation: Sufficient for a good result or not? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 02:44
Hi there,

I am going to take the GMAT next week and would be glad to hear about your experience with preparing for the quant section.

I have been preparing for the GMAT for about 2 weeks now and one week remains. Since I am not a native english speaker, I put my focus on the quant section in order to receive a high score (and since I am applying for a Master of Finance program, quant is regarded by most of my target universities as the most important part of the GMAT).

Right now, I am through with the about 700 quant questions, I got 560 of them initially right and 140 wrong. About 40 were wrong because I did not focuse on the question properly - so about 100 questions remain wrong because I was unable to identify the concept behind the question. After I am done with correcting my errors I should basically be able to solve all 700 Solving & DS problems from the Red and the Green official GMAT book. What I would like to know is whether you think this is sufficient in order to receive a good math score (good means around 46, 47 up to 51).

If you believe my preparation is not sufficient, what else can you recommend? (Additionally to the GMAT books I am working with the Manhattan Review stuff for preparation.)

Another topic I am interested in is the score itself: What's that about the scores beyond 51? I read several times that it is technically possible to score up to 60 in Quant and Verbal, however, I have never seen a score beyond 51 somewhere. Are these scores only theoretically possible?

Thanks very much for sharing your impressions and experience with the GMAT with me!

Regards

Florian
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Re: Quant preparation: Sufficient for a good result or not? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 05:02
Hi Darkwarrior,

Have you taken any practice tests? It is not possible to predict the actual score you might get on the basis of number of questions you solved correctly in practice. GMAT prep tests are pretty good indicator of the actual score you will get on the real thing.

Also, have you solved these problems under time constraints? It is very important to simulate the real test environment in practice. Pressure to solve question under 2 min also sometimes makes you commit silly mistakes.

Since you have 1 week left, I would suggest you to take 2 GMAT Prep tests. On the basis of those results, you could evaluate your strong and weak areas and focus on weak areas for the rest of the days.

About the scores, on mba.com they say that Q and V scores range from 0 - 60. However, I have also not seen Q and V scaled scores beyond 51.

Good luck for your GMAT!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Quant preparation: Sufficient for a good result or not? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 11:15
Good luck, let us know how it went!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Quant preparation: Sufficient for a good result or not? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 12:25
Really, I thought that quant and verbal both are limited to 51 ...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Quant preparation: Sufficient for a good result or not? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 12:26
Definitely get the GMATClub questions because the provide you with more difficult questions. OG are not that demanding ...
Re: Quant preparation: Sufficient for a good result or not?   [#permalink] 30 May 2011, 12:26