Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quant Section!!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2003
Posts: 8
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Quant Section!!! [#permalink] New post 01 May 2003, 15:07
I've been a member of this site for approx. two weeks now, and during that time have read many posts and also posted a few of my own. I wrote the GMAT yesterday and am going to put it behind me for good. There's one point I want to make now that I'm done: the quant section is much more difficult than any practice course or prep. book will have you believe! I am very serious. I definitely don't want to scare people; I'm just trying to help. I ran through Kaplan practice questions with ease. One thing to note about Kaplan: they make their simulation CATs much more difficult than their practice/quiz questions. I don't understand why. Let me stress that THEY DO NOT PROPERLY PREPARE YOU FOR THE GMAT QUANT. SECTION! To do really well on the quant. you'll have to find new ways to challenge yourself. This website is a great venue for that.

Also, POWERPREP quant. was a lot easier than real GMAT quant. I can't explain it. Obviously, POWERPREP quant. is going to be easier if you've run through the Official Guide. However, I never looked at the Official Guide and found POWERPREP relatively simple. I'm very dissapointed in the GMAC and ETS for not providing questions of comparable difficulty on POWERPREP. Sure, they don't want us to ace the test, but at least give us a good indication of the level we have to be at before going into the exam.

In conclusion, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe GMAT quant. tests your natural analytical/spacial thinking abilities and doesn't depend on how much you prepare. If this is true, the only thing worth doing is to review the high-school math principles tested. Everything else is natural ability. At the end of the day, each individual will have to make this judgement call for themselves.

Gooday,
Coasterby
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2003, 04:55
coasterby

:good Congratulations! on getting 690 on GMAT.

Thank you for the information you have provided. It has helped me as I am taking my GMAT on May 5th. How about Verbal section? Are SC questions tough? How about RC? Are the passages very long?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 180
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2003, 06:25
sunaraya wrote:
coasterby

:good Congratulations! on getting 690 on GMAT.

Thank you for the information you have provided. It has helped me as I am taking my GMAT on May 5th. How about Verbal section? Are SC questions tough? How about RC? Are the passages very long?

Thanks.


Hi guys
I share my test experience.
In order to perceive the experience of taking-test GMAT, I had taken GMAT experience last week.
However, my overall score is very poor, below 500, espeically in verbal section(12, 2%), yet my quantitativesection is 42 points.
In conclusion, like a non-native English,I think verbal questions are
difficult and confusing.
In sentence correct, the most of questions I encounter are more complex
than those of Official Guide and designed many traps to lure you to choose
wrong answer.
In critical reasoning, the stimulus in actual test has similar to
that of Official Guide, yet answer choices are more perplexing than
those of Official Guide, a practice making you hesitating to answer.
In reading, four passages I meet have a litter more easy than those of OG and their length is approximately from 50 to 100 lines.

In contrast to verbal, my quantitative section has better great performance than verbal sction. I find that overall math question are not too tough to answer, besides some probability probllem.
I only do the practice questions of Official Guide.

Above my miserable experience, I plan to retake GMAT later three months and then hope to obtain somewhat suggestion and approach to improve my weakness, verbal section, from this site.

Chih-Hao in Taiwan
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2003, 07:21
chihao

Thanks for the information. To improve your verbal, I suggest that you first read CliffsTestprep. This book is good for building the basic skills and also for TOEFL preparation. If you are concentrating only on GMAT, then you should read the STRUCTURE and READING section of this book and also do all practice quiz pertaining to these sections. Once you are thorough with the concepts, then you should read the KAPLAN verbal workbook and try to do as many practice quiz/tests as possible.

NOTE: After you attempt any practice/quiz, analyze the mistakes. This really helps.


Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 180
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2003, 08:50
sunaraya wrote:
chihao

Thanks for the information. To improve your verbal, I suggest that you first read CliffsTestprep. This book is good for building the basic skills and also for TOEFL preparation. If you are concentrating only on GMAT, then you should read the STRUCTURE and READING section of this book and also do all practice quiz pertaining to these sections. Once you are thorough with the concepts, then you should read the KAPLAN verbal workbook and try to do as many practice quiz/tests as possible.

NOTE: After you attempt any practice/quiz, analyze the mistakes. This really helps.


Hope this helps.


Hi sunaraya
Thank your concrete suggestion.

Now, I have Barron's prep-TOEFL and Arco's grammar for TOEFL to strengthen my structure.
But, you and bb recommend Cliffs Prep test to improve verbal skills,especially on structure;
therefore, I can order this workbook from amazon bookstore now.
In fact, of all verbal sctions I find CR is difficult on slecting correct
answer because I can't prompt and accurately do so.
Would you offer the supplemnt materials about CR to drill solving
question strategy and pattern?
Do you think which the quantity or quality(review) is more crucial ?

ps. my stuff is princeton CD-ROM, kaplan 2003 and kaplan verbal
workbook

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2003, 09:00
Hi! chihao,

I do not know about Barron's or Arco's grammar for TOEFL and hence cannot compare them with Cliffs. I cannot say that Cliffs is better than Barron's/Arcos's or vice versae. But I know for sure that Cliffs is systematic and well written. What you can do is, before buying Cliff's, you can always go to a book store and compare cliff's with the other two and then decide.

As regards to CR, I am following Kaplan's method. First identify conclusion and evidence and then figure out the assumption. The strengthen/weaken questions are all related to an assumption.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 180
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2003, 19:43
sunaraya wrote:
Hi! chihao,

I do not know about Barron's or Arco's grammar for TOEFL and hence cannot compare them with Cliffs. I cannot say that Cliffs is better than Barron's/Arcos's or vice versae. But I know for sure that Cliffs is systematic and well written. What you can do is, before buying Cliff's, you can always go to a book store and compare cliff's with the other two and then decide.

As regards to CR, I am following Kaplan's method. First identify conclusion and evidence and then figure out the assumption. The strengthen/weaken questions are all related to an assumption.

Hope this helps.


Thank you sunaraya, again.
  [#permalink] 02 May 2003, 19:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Trouble with the Quant Section gjeichenblatt 1 17 May 2013, 06:04
14 Helpful notes for the Quant Section mk87 4 19 Sep 2012, 03:56
Experts publish their posts in the topic Very weak in quant section harinirao 4 13 Apr 2012, 14:08
GMAT quant section aparna2021 1 04 Apr 2012, 01:38
Experts publish their posts in the topic Struggling with Quant Section seoulite 3 30 Mar 2011, 14:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Quant Section!!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.