Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quant Suggestion needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

Quant Suggestion needed [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:13
Hi,
I scored 38 in Quant ..As I did really bad in verbal now I am totally concentrated with verbal section(Though I am irregularly solving DS and PS from Club forum)...but I am thinking if I don't do much quant problem I might forget what I learnt,as I am going to write my GMAT after 3 months...What should I follow now to increase my Quant score ?...I will be happy if I can score around 45 in Quant...Please suggest..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 283

Kudos [?]: 432 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Quant Suggestion needed [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Farukqmul,

You are right - you definitely need to keep practicing quant. lest your skills get rusty :).

Another important point is dividing up your study time between verbal and quant. While there is no magic ratio - each person has his/her own score goals, as well as his/her areas that need more focus - allocating at least 30% of your time to not only maintaining but improving quant, will allow you enough time to still focus on Verbal. In your case, you want to improve on quant by quite a few points so this ratio may come closer to 40% Quant/60% Verbal.

That said, make sure to work on areas in quant in which you are weakest. The key is to make sure you are performing at a consistent level across the variety of concepts (don't become a master of permutations at the expense of coordinate geometry). To identify these weaknesses - if you haven't already - take a mock test at least once every two weeks.

Once you feel confident in a variety of areas, don't content yourself with not being rusty. Definitely challenge yourself with some of the 700-level questions. Answering those questions test day will help you hit your goal of 45 on Q.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Re: Quant Suggestion needed [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 21:41
ChrisLele wrote:
Hi Farukqmul,

You are right - you definitely need to keep practicing quant. lest your skills get rusty :).

Another important point is dividing up your study time between verbal and quant. While there is no magic ratio - each person has his/her own score goals, as well as his/her areas that need more focus - allocating at least 30% of your time to not only maintaining but improving quant, will allow you enough time to still focus on Verbal. In your case, you want to improve on quant by quite a few points so this ratio may come closer to 40% Quant/60% Verbal.

That said, make sure to work on areas in quant in which you are weakest. The key is to make sure you are performing at a consistent level across the variety of concepts (don't become a master of permutations at the expense of coordinate geometry). To identify these weaknesses - if you haven't already - take a mock test at least once every two weeks.

Once you feel confident in a variety of areas, don't content yourself with not being rusty. Definitely challenge yourself with some of the 700-level questions. Answering those questions test day will help you hit your goal of 45 on Q.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions :).

thanks Chris...I have one question,if I work with all the math concepts except the permutation part.Will it create any problem to score a 45 ?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1028

Kudos [?]: 4449 [0], given: 162

Re: Quant Suggestion needed [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 09:33
Expert's post
farukqmul wrote:
Hi,
I scored 38 in Quant ..As I did really bad in verbal now I am totally concentrated with verbal section(Though I am irregularly solving DS and PS from Club forum)...but I am thinking if I don't do much quant problem I might forget what I learnt,as I am going to write my GMAT after 3 months...What should I follow now to increase my Quant score ?...I will be happy if I can score around 45 in Quant...Please suggest..

Did you go through a complete set of books for Quant yet? That itself could raise your score up to 44-45. There are many little little things we use in one or two questions and then forget. A complete set of Quant books should cover most of them for you. And yes, take practice tests (ideally covering all topics) regularly. There are many concepts the questions use so it is easy to forget them if they are not used on a regular basis. Also, with a lot of practice, you will develop an instinct for the correct approach.
Once you are at around 42-45, you can check out the Advanced Word Problems book of Veritas. It is meant for people who want to bump up their score in those ranges.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Re: Quant Suggestion needed [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 09:35
Expert's post
Also, you can totally ignore permutations if you want to (though the basics of P&C are pretty simple and you may want to go through them so that you don't miss any easy questions on the topic).

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Quant Suggestion needed [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 21:09
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
farukqmul wrote:
Hi,

Did you go through a complete set of books for Quant yet? That itself could raise your score up to 44-45. There are many little little things we use in one or two questions and then forget. A complete set of Quant books should cover most of them for you. And yes, take practice tests (ideally covering all topics) regularly. There are many concepts the questions use so it is easy to forget them if they are not used on a regular basis. Also, with a lot of practice, you will develop an instinct for the correct approach.
Once you are at around 42-45, you can check out the Advanced Word Problems book of Veritas. It is meant for people who want to bump up their score in those ranges.

Yes I have gone through Nova Math Bible and MGMAT strategy guide books..n also solved OG 11 and 12..Now I am revising those books again n doing practise tests as well..but still haven't seen any improvement ...Is there any other book that I can follow to build a strong basic ?Thanks
Expert Post

Re: Quant Suggestion needed [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 17:54
Expert's post
farukqmul wrote:
Yes I have gone through Nova Math Bible and MGMAT strategy guide books..n also solved OG 11 and 12..Now I am revising those books again n doing practise tests as well..but still haven't seen any improvement ...Is there any other book that I can follow to build a strong basic ?Thanks

Then you might want to figure out the topics that you are weak in and focus on those. Working on 2-3 such specific topics should raise the overall score. Take some timed practice tests covering all Quant topics. Figure out the weakest links. I could suggest you specific books for those topics.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: Quant Suggestion needed [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 17:06
farukqmul wrote:

Then you might want to figure out the topics that you are weak in and focus on those. Working on 2-3 such specific topics should raise the overall score. Take some timed practice tests covering all Quant topics. Figure out the weakest links. I could suggest you specific books for those topics.

How can i impove on absolute value and some more inequilities type questions? and also practice some more coordinate geometry questions.
Expert Post

Re: Quant Suggestion needed [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 08:47
Expert's post
kuttingchai wrote:
farukqmul wrote:

How can i impove on absolute value and some more inequilities type questions? and also practice some more coordinate geometry questions.

I have discussed some types of absolute value and coordinate geometry questions on my blog so you can go through those posts. You can search this forum using topic tags for practice questions. Also, if you are serious about these topics, get your hands on 11th std Math books to revise the basic concepts. Don't delve deep because GMAT only tests basic concepts but the first few pages will be helpful. You can check out Veritas Geometry and Algebra books too in case you would like to go through other GMAT relevant concepts as well. The books have sections dedicated to Coordinate and mods/inequalities and practice problems.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Quant Suggestion needed   [#permalink] 07 May 2012, 08:47