Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quant/Verbal Split

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Quant/Verbal Split [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 05:38
I recently took the GMAT and did well (730). I'm 95% sure that I won't retake, but I also want to make sure I have all my bases covered. So a few questions.

I'm stronger in math than in reading/writing, but I got a 48 in Quant (80 Percentile) and a surprising 42 in Verbal (95 percentile). I think I would have been happier with those two scores flipped because I'm a quant guy. On one hand, it helps that this shows I'm not verbally inept, but on the other, it may indicate that I'm not as good quantitatively as I ought to be? I almost want to prove that my quant score could be higher, but I feel pretty damn lucky that my verbal score was that high. Thoughts?

Second, is that split, 48 vs 42 a wide margin? I assume no? I'm only asking because I read posts that say it's not good to have two scores that differ by a significant amount.

Lastly, if I can get a 730, is the value in pushing to see if I could get to 750 perhaps?

Again, I'm 95% sure I won't retake. Especially because at this point I'm too late to take the exam before they change the format. But I just want to be sure I'm considered the options.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Quant/Verbal Split [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 05:58
First of all 730 is an awesome score !

Second I don't think there's a "huge" difference between a quant score of 48 and a quant score of 50 . I don't think it's worth retaking the exam just for this . Besides if you retake there's always a chance that even if you improve in quant you might go down in verbal . Why do you want to simply take that chance ! Besides , most people always find something wrong with their GMAT score . I read on one of these forums that some guy scored a 770 and still wanted to retake because he got a 5 on the essays ! I was really surprised when I read this !

Thirdly a 48-42 split is by no means a wide margin , not even close . I know so many people who have splits like 50-38 , 49-39 . Your split score is ideal if you ask me ! It shows that you're strong in both sections.

I don't think there's a huge difference between a 730 and a 750 . A difference between a 690 and a 710 is could significant but once you cross 720 , i think you don't "gain" that much more from your application point of view .
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 578 [0], given: 114

Re: Quant/Verbal Split [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 10:31
Once you've hit the 80% in quant there is NOTHING you have to worry about. That GMAT score will not keep you out of any school in the entire world. So congrats on your 730, and good luck with your applications!

No one is EVER 100% satisfied with there score. I bet if someone told you the day before the test you'd get a 730 with a Q48 V42, you'd be super happy with that score. The GMAT is addicting, especially if you even felt you left 10 points on the table, MAYBE.

Don't consider a retake for 1 second... it's a waste of your time and resources, and the GMAT is only one part of your application. Start improving EVERYTHING else, the GMAT is solid.

WIth the top 15 schools all having average GMAT's of above 700, you can see that the GMAT only plays a small role once you've hit that level. There are many people with below a 730 that get into Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton... what makes them special is the rest of your application. So it's time to move on

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Quant/Verbal Split [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 04:13
Thank you for that perspective. It is helpful. You're right, best to leave it alone. I'm fortunate to have scored what I did and am thankful for that.
Re: Quant/Verbal Split   [#permalink] 06 May 2012, 04:13