Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quantitative Performance - Need Advise, Weird Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Quantitative Performance - Need Advise, Weird Question [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 08:49
Hi everyone!
I have a relatively weird question.
I've been studying for my GMAT for about 5 months now. I gave the exam a month a go and scored a 690 (Q44, V40). Although I reached the exam with a heavy burn out due to 12 hour days at work + 2 hours of GMAT and 9 hour GMAT sessions during both days of the weekend this score was a deception (specially math) since I know I have the knowledge to do a lot better and I'm doing a lot of unnecessary errors in the math section.

The thing is that after this and after an additional month of hard study, I still have not being able to lower my quant error below 12 per test. By re doing every wrong question and seeing that I know the content and I have very little knowledge questions I'm starting to think I have an "attitudinal" problem. At first I though that the error where a result of me getting very tense during the practice exams, but I think I managed to relax little bit more and the error ares still there.

This is getting quite frustrating as I think there nothing worse than knowing you can give a really good exam and not being able to do it when it counts

Has anyone experienced this? How did you deal with it? How did you conquer this trap?

Thanks in advance for the help

Best
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Quantitative Performance - Need Advise, Weird Question [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 07:57
davidandcompany wrote:
htbreme wrote:
Hi everyone!
I have a relatively weird question.
I've been studying for my GMAT for about 5 months now. I gave the exam a month a go and scored a 690 (Q44, V40). Although I reached the exam with a heavy burn out due to 12 hour days at work + 2 hours of GMAT and 9 hour GMAT sessions during both days of the weekend this score was a deception (specially math) since I know I have the knowledge to do a lot better and I'm doing a lot of unnecessary errors in the math section.

The thing is that after this and after an additional month of hard study, I still have not being able to lower my quant error below 12 per test. By re doing every wrong question and seeing that I know the content and I have very little knowledge questions I'm starting to think I have an "attitudinal" problem. At first I though that the error where a result of me getting very tense during the practice exams, but I think I managed to relax little bit more and the error ares still there.

This is getting quite frustrating as I think there nothing worse than knowing you can give a really good exam and not being able to do it when it counts

Has anyone experienced this? How did you deal with it? How did you conquer this trap?

Thanks in advance for the help

Best

Hi! Have you tried using additional sources?

What are the sources you're using now?

I too am in the same boat. I have come to a point where I already memorize OG.

However, I am now tapping on other sources (BTG, GMATClub, Manhattan, Kaplan, etc.)

Try doing the same.

I'am using other sourced besides the OG but actually I think I'm under relatively high degree of burn out and need to work on other aspects of test taking.

Does this happend to other GMAT Club Members?
It would be great to hear other stories. Being the GMAT not only a knowledge centric test but also a time and stress management examination this must have happend to many of the members of the forum.

Thanks for the reply and hope everything improves
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Quantitative Performance - Need Advise, Weird Question [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 11:59
Just focus on blocks of similar problems. Like overlapping sets - do 20 of these, and learn all the ways the questions can be solved, and their DS counterparts. Build you confidence in one area, then move on to another area. Don't forget to redo areas you think you may be strong in, because sometimes you may run into a tough problem that you can learn a lot from.
Intern
Intern

Re: Quantitative Performance - Need Advise, Weird Question [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 16:03
Thanks Roboas, could you recommend me a source of excercises categorized by type of problem?

Thanks again

Tobias

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Quantitative Performance - Need Advise, Weird Question [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 16:08
You can use the quant 700-800 collection if you can find the files. It is 8 MS Word files that break up the GMAT quant problems by category.
Re: Quantitative Performance - Need Advise, Weird Question   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2012, 16:08